Author Topic: Motorcycle Tire Testing  (Read 7952 times)

Hank

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« on: July 26, 2005, 11:35:18 AM »
I am headed out to Gene Burkland's this afternoon to start testing tires.I am going to test 3 sets of tires I am going to use.One set is a shaved road race tire by Michelin,and also a set of HPX street tires.I am also testing a set of Bridgestone OEM tires.2 sets are shaved(the Michelins),and the OEM's are not.I am going to spin and load them up to 300-325,and note ANY changes.As I am certainly no expert on this,I thought maybe somebody may have a suggestion on the process,or what
areas to pay special attention to.I will post my results when finished.

landracing

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2005, 04:03:17 PM »
Well Hank honestly you just have to stand back and watch, you are having your tires spun tested probably by the most informative group outside of a manufacture. Listen to what they tell you. And beleive me they know what to look for.

Jon

Offline joea

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2005, 08:52:14 PM »
they WONT be load testing them though..........

only free wheeling spin test..............

cool, anyhow.........

Joe :)

Offline k.h.

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2005, 09:15:18 PM »
Here is an idea for a tire test jig: Use the same method of spinning up by hydraulic pump to chosen speed, but have the driven tire ride against a free turning, for example, front tire, with controlled tension against surfaces set to approximate weight of the vehicle.  And maybe wrap a cage around the whole test fixture.  

If it was me, I'd run up one set of new F& R tires through a number of heat cycles, to "set" them, then saw across the tread in several places to look for signs of separation.

This would be a test of tires in a jig.  Naturally, the real world is the practical factor.

Disclaimer:  The above is an opinion and the writer neither suggests nor endorses it; and recommends to not try this at home.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
?
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 10:04:17 PM »
Are the tires broken in ?
The real test must include a load. Not only weight but power. The temp of the surface must be simulated or the test won't be valid.
Remember, you are testing the tread bond to the casing. Extra unsupported rubber not removed with proper shaving will contribute to an early failure.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline k.h.

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2005, 11:17:48 PM »
Warum einfach wenn komplitziert geht's auch?  

Anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive(!) way to add appropriate drag to the driven tire?
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2005, 02:05:25 AM »
Well we know Dunlops have been tested to 256mph, what was the results today on the spinner machine, I bet with no load they both worked perfect. :D

Hank

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2005, 09:06:51 AM »
Testing was put off untill Thur. morning due to additional work needed on the adaptor.As for the load portion,I was originally told that speed and load could be tested.I am going to film the testing and try to get it posted where it can be seen by anybody interested.If anybody is interested in hosting the video,please let me know.Gene and Betty have a test protocol in place.How valid it is,I do not know,but it seems that even if it's just spinning the tires up to speed,it may provide information that I don't have now.

landracing

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2005, 10:40:54 AM »
Hank,

I will host the video, just get it to me and ill host it.

Jon

Offline joea

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2005, 06:32:05 PM »
yes Hank most additional info is cool.........but
the BEST info thus far........is real world......zr
radials on the salt surface over 240 for 2-3+ miles,
and in come cases 250+ for 2+ miles.....with no apparent
signs of heat issues.........blistering is common on highspeed
tests on pavement....and it is accepted...change tires more often...
we are not even showing the signs of heat issues at Bonn........cool

Hank

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2005, 10:52:22 PM »
Quote from: joea
yes Hank most additional info is cool.........but
the BEST info thus far........is real world......zr
radials on the salt surface over 240 for 2-3+ miles,
and in come cases 250+ for 2+ miles.....with no apparent
signs of heat issues.........blistering is common on highspeed
tests on pavement....and it is accepted...change tires more often...
we are not even showing the signs of heat issues at Bonn........cool

I agree Joe.I hope to present testing data(albeit the protocol) to SCTA that they may take for consideration on the tire speed limits now used.
Besides----we plan on spinning one to destruction,and blowing shit up is cool! :D  :D

Offline joea

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2005, 12:57:10 AM »
yeah, yur funny.........ask your tire tester
how far away he plans to be............i

....IF THE RIM FAILS BEFORE THE TIRE.....do we
need a new rule book.........or do we start
shaving them too???????????

Joe (shaving-books-rims...and hey honey..) Amo :)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Free spinning
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 01:04:15 AM »
If you are just going to free spin them, gear up a beater bike and do it at home on the stand.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Hank

Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 08:37:52 AM »
I went out last night to watch the set up of the test equipment.It seems to the uneducated eye that Gene and Betty have taken a lot of thought into how the testing is done.Testing forms for recording information,various intruments to record data,and a background board to watch tire growth are being used.They are well aware of rim failures and no one is going to be standing around the tires while they are being tested.They are using video equipment to record the tests from different angles,and Betty is going to give me a copy of the video after.They have done testing with Mickey Thompson in the past.The protocol seems fairly extensive.I have decided in light of possible liability issues to give the information gathered by this testing to anyone who asks for it,but not post it in an open forum.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Motorcycle Tire Testing
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2005, 02:51:13 AM »
Updates? ?