Author Topic: Motorcycle class?  (Read 11102 times)

Offline Cafe Freak

• New folks
Motorcycle class?
« on: August 10, 2009, 12:42:48 AM »
I am new to the site but have been interested in building a landspeed bike for a while. I find the classes for bikes a little confusing so I am hoping some of you can tell me where this build will fit.
Modified 75 Yamaha rd 350 laydown frame, not purpose built
Rz 350 bottom end with Banshee 350 top end carburated
modified TZ 750 fairing and custom tailsection, partial streamline
FZR wheels and tires
Ram air carb box with wastegate..
This is where I am headed as I am a 2stroke fan with a garage full of RD parts and a few vintage racers....Thanks in advance for any info and bear with me I am new to the L.S game but like all of you I am interested in going fast.......Doug

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Motorcycle class?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:37:54 AM »
You picked a bad time to ask.  Everyone is at Bonneville except me.  But you should fit into MPS/G.  Modified Partial Streamlining Gas.  That is working on the assumption that the frame is a Yamaha.  The rule states for modified the frame and engine must be from the same maufacturer.  The frame can be modified quite a bit and still be within the rules.  If you have a rule book read it closely.  If not order one from the SCTA.  Again, assuming you plan to run El Mirage or Bonneville.  If you are back east and plan to run Maxton or Loring only contact the ECTA for their rule book.  They are different.  Ask all the questions you want.  Good luck with the build.  Post it in the build forum.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Cafe Freak

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:51:56 AM »
Thanks for the info, I am back east but the goal is Bonneville. I have considered something closer to get my feet wet and understand there different regs so I will be ordering both rule books..As for the frame and motor both are Yamaha. Thanks again and there will be many questions I am sure and I plan on posting the project in the build forum as it progresses.......Doug

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:55:34 AM »
I don't know how far east you are but it might behove you to come to Maxton in Sept.The meet is their motorcycle meet and is Sept. 19&20

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 04:38:32 PM »
Doug,   Check out ECTA at Maxton... 2 meets left this year Sept and Oct...

Sept is the "Bike" meet  (cars are welcome too)

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 07:17:17 PM »
There are minor differences in the rules from SCTA / ECTA ... CC displacement breaks are the same ... get the rule books and if you want to run both engineer the machine to fit a class in both rules ... there are racers running both venues (Slim for one). The Kid is right, September is cars and bikes with sponsored awards from Super Streetbike Magazine for some bike classes ... Joe

Offline Cafe Freak

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 12:15:10 AM »
Great info all, thanks...I will not be making any meets this year as I just recently started the build...Frame has been shaved of all brackets and mounts installed for the RZ350 case but I am looking into the transmission, the PO toasted the gears on a 7000 rpm launch. I am thinking about an overdrive Banshee trans, the same used for Banshee drag racing...Next question is what rims to run, I was going to run spoked 19" Buchanons  but I am having trouble finding anything better than a V rated tire...I can run spoked 19" 18" or a set of 17" fzr sportbike with a better selection of speed ratings...My vintage race RD350 has seen 130+ mph with 40 rwhp and I am expecting much more from the liquid cooled RZ running ported banshee juggs.What speed rating tire should I be running, 150+? If I run 150 without tires rated for that speed will I be shut down? ( not to mention its not smart ) Sorry for the longwind......Doug 

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 12:39:04 AM »
The SCTA states for speeds above 150 you will need tires rated ZR "or special tires or racing as designated by the manufacturer.  Production tires with a speed rating of V, if shaved, can be used up to 200mph".  Avon make V rated 19"s so if you have your heart set on 19s you could shave a pair and be OK.  Again the SCTA rulebook says you have to run tires for the class record.  So if you show up with a Honda 50 and enter it in the 1650 A/BF you will have to have 200+ rated tires regardless of the fact your Honda won't get near the record.   Your class record at Bonneville is in the mid 150s so ZR or shaved Vs would be OK.

Again, I don't know ECTA tire rules.  I'm quoting the SCTA rulebook.  Check with the ECTA.

Offline Cafe Freak

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 02:20:13 AM »
That is what I was expecting to hear, Avon Roadriders, 90/90/19 are where I was orig headed by using two XS650/750 spoked fronts/ one as a rear with a custom sprocket can be done. They are lighter than the era mags and 19" for lower rotating speeds and Mass + I enjoy the nostalgic look. I will have to look into "shaving", I didn't realize I could push them to 200..
I will check both regs, I like the Idea of setting the bike up for both class rules.
And again Thanks for the help, I am getting pretty torqued about the project. By the way I am 39 and my Son Laine is 11 and we will be building a similar bike for him but under 100CC probably RD based frame with a YZ 80 motor. He will be 12 by the time we get there and I believe in SCTA he can run but I will have to check  the ECTA book. At any rate its our goal to do these together and get there.........Doug   

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 02:39:00 AM »
Slight problem.  SCTA rulebook 7.A.1   I won't quote but it says a rider must have a valid and current state license with a motorcycle endorsement  I'm a traditionalist as well and run an old Norton with 19" wheels.  Love the look. 

Offline Cafe Freak

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 02:47:30 AM »
I have read soo much lately concerning this but now I think it was bub that said 12 with guardian, I am not sure but the advice will be taken....No Acura-umptions I will get the rule books and read, just alot of info to take in..What tires are you running on the Norton if I may ask and how fast?.....Doug
Just found it, Bub run watcha brung....12 with guardian....I knew I saw that somewhere.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 02:58:02 AM by Cafe Freak »

Offline wfojohn

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »
Cafe, What part of the East are you in, I am in south central Tennessee and have messed with an RD or 2 over the years. Wow, that is some impressive speed out of a 40 horse air cooled bike.

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 09:12:17 PM »
Cafe,  I tun Avon Road Runners.  19".   The rear is V rated and the front is H rated.  It holds (or held) the class record at Bonneville and currently hods the class record at El Mirage.  Its best time is 129.817 at El Mirage.  Right on the limit for H rated tires!

By weslake, shot with Canon PowerShot A430 at 2008-07-17
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 09:13:53 PM by Nortonist 592 »

Offline Cafe Freak

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 10:43:43 PM »
wfojohn
I am in Northwest Indiana, Valparaiso to be specific...The RD is a 75 350 roadracer that the PO raced from mid 70s to early 2000.. Raced in its class untill it became vintage bike in Brainerd MI and Elkhart Lake WI. I was fortunate enough to find it when it went up for sale now its one of my favorite...It runs 30mm carbs, ported juggs, Banshee pistons,  milled daytona head, stock stroke hybrid crank with banshee stator side crankwheel that allows it to run Banshee stator and cdi ignition (no more points!!!) and no battery.. It was also converted to monoshock in the early 80s. It comes on the pipe at 5800 and pulls all the way up to 11,000 . I dont run it past 10,000 often but thats how I got 130+ on the back roads WOT. It also has a TZ750 fairing that helps it cut the wind.
Nortonist,
Very cool bike and great records. Looks like I will be running 19" V rated front and rear ( shaved ) but now I am wondering if I can run a front on the rear for landspeed...If so 90/90/19 front and 100/90/19 rear on did honda spoked or xs spoked wheels, I still have to do more research..Doug
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:45:43 AM by Cafe Freak »

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 12:13:45 AM »
Not sure about running a front on the rear but you can run a rear on the front.  There is a guy in our club doing so right now and it is not an issue.