Author Topic: The Real Important People at Loring LSR/09  (Read 9054 times)

Offline Bob Wanner

The Real Important People at Loring LSR/09
« on: August 09, 2009, 02:30:28 PM »
Or, how I spent my Summer Vacation, by Bobby Wanner .
I've responded in bits and pieces to various sites and emails, decided to get off my tired old Differential and be a little more specific.
Thank Youse to, and obviously not in order of importance; and excuse mispelt names...
Matt Wanner (son), aka LT. A Guy, and Chris Vennard (son in law), The Voice, for setting up (Thursday) and running (all Sat and Sun) the timing equipment. As some of the rented photocells arrived slightly damaged, on site repairs were being made  all weekend. Chris and my daughter Val and my grandson Griffin made the long trip up by themselves  from NY to help out. A lot longer with a 15 month old.
Joe Daly and brother in law John Donovan, ran timing on Monday for Scott's crew, teched bikes (and cars?) on Friday/Saturday and whenever asked, and supplied most of our commo equipment.  Joe is never flustered, a rock, wears that starched white techie  LS shirt....cool. All the way from Long Island NY.
Joe Timney, where do I start ? Reassured me on my gazillion phone  calls since we initiated this, supplied his body to personally run the south end of the event as in Tech/Start/ and gave  us the final topping of credibility from his incomparable store of LSR knowledge.  No wonder DCW is behind in schedule, The Man spends so much time with needy LSR types like us.
Donna Timney...Oh Donna, ran Registration and Impound , supplied all that clerical forms, releases, clipboards, collected money, answered all the questions, again and again, and I suspect is the person who detected how we in the LTA might've been slightly over our heads and really decided at the last moment to come swooping in to watch over us. Lots of invisible credit due here also as a few ECTA regulars decided to come when they found the Timneys were attending.
Kim...What an asset ! Ran the entry point and chased down strays for days, just like in Maxton, all the way from Ohio.
Carl..Assisted Kim, helped set up timing, directed spectator parking, camped out under a blue tarp attached to his mini van SW of the start line, then disappeared. Not even a silver billet,er, bullet
He ran a stripped-thread Photo cell housing off track to a pal who re-did it to fit.
Tony 'Caveman" Maffinni..Track Steward, relayed the now famous " Moose near track, seriously" message, was out there constantly. Green 56 Chevy pick up was abused a lot. Accompanied by hot girl friend and polyethylene palm tree.
The Time slips gang ,Chris Frazier, John Scholl, Frank06 and Nathan, many competitors commented on their proficiency and help, not to mention minor fire extinguishment with imported bottled water LOL. 
The Limestone Fire Department...Amazing ...We contracted for the insurance mandated personnel and equipment, but we got practically  every Fire Guy in The County hanging out. They were at the finish line area required, they were at the start line, they supplied breakfast through late lunch, supplied info on the area, took pix/videos and posted them on multiple forums, and generally went out of the way to make everybody comfortable. Special thanks to Chief Paul  and son Chris Durepo , but also all the other brothers I've talked at.
The Starters. Me being both old and memory challenged, I've forgotten the names. Joe T shanghaied them, they were great.  Could be the most important job, big responsibility, they came through,big time, big sigh of relief..
Mark Sotomayor...Our Main Maine Man...We were introduced to him early on, he has been 110% since our first meeting. Fortuitously beyond our dreams, his business, IMPAC, is on the base property. Long standing member of the community, knows everybody we need to know, priceless asset.  Also has a killer Porsche, it, with him driving, with my #343, made the first official pass in LTA history on Saturday. ( hood not fully latched, 86 mph, hopefully not a sign of the future). 
Frank Cutting,and crew,  TyRods,  brought up, put out, and picked up 50 cones.
 Lauren O, Josh, another Bob , those N.E.S.S. guys, Tonya and Keith Turk woulda come too, had previous commitments, lots phone time with them of the ECTA, ) , ECTA in general for letting us use all their books and forms, Bob Taylor at EVP, Porta Pottage  (speedy response on Sunday), Limestone PD, kept the perimeter under control very well, Maine Inland Wildlife allowing our presence in a wildlife sensitive area, and The Loring Development Authority working with us, helping and directing to all the other agencies involved, of which there are a few.
Oh yeah. Bobby Jepson, who I had a discussion with almost two years ago that led to all this, and did all the LLC foot/phone work to add to our limited credibility. He's silent Bob in the LTA. AKA McGyver, made mile markers, probably a lot of stuff you'll see in the future.
Angie, my wife/pal of combined 46 years, not really into racing, but always stands by me. 
I know I forgot people , I already forgot names , you know who you are if you helped, similarly you know who you are if you didn't and missed an opportunity to be in on a great experience.
Here's where you dash off an angry note about old whazzizname...
Bob Wanner 

Offline 55chevr

Re: The Real Important People at Loring LSR/09
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 09:23:09 PM »
This could never have happened without a vision from Bob and Bob ... the assistance of Mark ... It could not have been so successful without the participation of Joe T and Donna ... My compliments and appreciation to everyone that worked a position, competed, came out and watched ... Looking forward to next year, bigger, better, faster ... Joe

Offline entropy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:19:51 PM »
This could never have happened without a vision from Bob and Bob ... the assistance of Mark ... It could not have been so successful without the participation of Joe T and Donna ... My compliments and appreciation to everyone that worked a position, competed, came out and watched ... Looking forward to next year, bigger, better, faster ... Joe

Joe, VERY well said!

X 10!!!!!!

Fabulous event made possible by fabulous people!!!
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 11:38:27 PM »

Joe, VERY well said!

X 10!!!!!!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Seconded, thanks again folks. Definitely going back next year. -Dean

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
%
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 11:53:04 PM »

Joe, VERY well said!

X 10!!!!!!

\
You guys are dreaming. For Shane to say that he went 10 mph faster than Jason is BS. Because of density altitude you are losing about 15% horsepower at Bonneville. Each venue has to have their own records. Did you guys go both ways? I don't believe so. Did you know all runways in the World are built to utilize the prevailing winds? If you guys were to go both ways then maybe we might have some comparisons-- Until then... there are no comparisons.
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline Lauren O

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 09:39:51 AM »
Flyboy...Hope if we are lucky enough to be able to return next year you join us!  We had the best time with some of the greatest people I have ever had the pleasure to call friends.  This is what this is all about. No one is winning millions, and no one is taking away from anyones accomplishments.  My husband put so much into this sport, and I only wish he could have been here to see the great accomplishments made by so many of the people he loved.  So please be happy for your LSR family at every venue we are lucky enough to enjoy and keep you negativity to yourself! Love you Dave O and miss you everyday! Watch over us all and keep us safe!

Offline Nosgsx1300

Re: %
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 11:14:04 AM »

Joe, VERY well said!

X 10!!!!!!

\
You guys are dreaming. For Shane to say that he went 10 mph faster than Jason is BS. Because of density altitude you are losing about 15% horsepower at Bonneville. Each venue has to have their own records. Did you guys go both ways? I don't believe so. Did you know all runways in the World are built to utilize the prevailing winds? If you guys were to go both ways then maybe we might have some comparisons-- Until then... there are no comparisons.

and untill you come out and run here
KEEP YOU MOUTH SHUT
you have never been to this venue
so come out and run against shane on back to back runs and see who is faster(I know its not me LOL)

Offline Nosgsx1300

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 11:16:15 AM »
I am very sorry I posted this on the wrong thread

It should have been on the altitude density thread
It is very uncalled for in this thread
If the moderator could move it there it would be appreciated

Offline jb2

Re: %
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »

\
[/quote]

Flyboy,
He was in fact careful not to compare the 2 records.  But indeed did go 10mph faster and is the fastest road bike in the world.  He did not say world record or fastest Bonneville record or fastest FIM or BUB or AMA or whatever body you choose to run under.  Density altitude, track surface, weather, all kinds of different variables, but unless you are saying their timing equipment was faulty his speed was 10mph faster!  Read the article take a pill and congratulate a fellow rider.  Especially on thread where the organizer was trying to make a statement to all that helped including the local community, fire, police etc.....  Try not to be bitter and instead give the landspeed racing community a good name to the people being recognized as the "real important people".

Jim (wishing he was at the salt)

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:17:48 PM »
Congratulations to all for a successful first meet.  Whole lot more to it than most people think.  Bob Wanner -- you should be very, very proud!

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 07:43:48 AM »
I want to add in that Todd Dross should get a big public thank you as well! He fielded well over a hundred calls and spent countless hours (and a few times entire days) on the phone answering tech & safety questions before the event for many of the new motorcycle racers looking to attend! He cares a lot & does his best to help all the 2 wheelers get down the track and do so safely! He does it for the love of the sport but a thank you now & again is also nice!  :wink:

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline sabat

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 09:37:40 AM »
I want to add in that Todd Dross should get a big public thank you as well! He fielded well over a hundred calls and spent countless hours (and a few times entire days) on the phone answering tech & safety questions before the event for many of the new motorcycle racers looking to attend! He cares a lot & does his best to help all the 2 wheelers get down the track and do so safely! He does it for the love of the sport but a thank you now & again is also nice!  :wink:

Debbie

AND, after doing that, and tending to multiple race bikes for SGR, and racing himself, also changed my tire. And refused compensation. Thanks Todd  :cheers:

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 12:51:09 PM »
YEAH   and  Todd even likes us car guys too !!!!

Go Todd,,, see you in Sept.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 01:55:57 PM »
I feel the LTA needs an Officer in charge of Diplomacy and Subtleties , and I nominate The Debonator Dross.
I tried a while ago to write a note attempting to thank everyone involved, no matter how much they did, whether visible or not .
I just reread it, and I obviously forgot The Drosses. I invoke the CRS amendment, Dammit !
I knew Todd had fielded  some questions, but I had no idea it was of the magnitude  Debbie  spoke of. Having somebody on board with his knowledge and willingness to share his valuable time, especially in those days before LTA/09 AND SW is Priceless !
I am sorry if I offended somebody ( again) , it was unintended.
I value and hold in high esteem Todd and debbie's input and participation in the LTA and LSR in general, and obviously would not intentionally snub them .
Anybody else I skipped, please weigh in here/now, I OWE YOU...
Bob Wanner, Minister of Memory, LTA
Bob W

Offline gofast

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2009, 05:56:24 PM »
Chad Barker and the other guys on the front line deserve a lot of credit. They kicked tires and tightened belts to keep ypou guys safe.
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.