Author Topic: Density Altitude data: anyone have any from Loring event  (Read 5777 times)

Offline entropy

Density Altitude data: anyone have any from Loring event
« on: August 09, 2009, 04:33:22 AM »
I got too excited from the speeds we were getting and forgot to record any DA data.

9am - noon - 3pm on Sat & Sun would be GREAT!!!

Thanks in advance.
 :cheers:
Karl
(TeamFatAss CEO)

Offline 55chevr

Re: Density Altitude data: anyone have any from Loring event
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 08:48:14 AM »
Is this 201 Club Karl?

Offline nakeum

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 10:42:12 AM »
29.99-30.1    79 degrees   1000ft  11-17mph tail.. around 70 % hum  but not all the time,, to give you a idea, i just have one of those hand held wind weather moniters... the $150  hope this helps

Offline entropy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 10:13:51 PM »
29.99-30.1    79 degrees   1000ft  11-17mph tail.. around 70 % hum  but not all the time,, to give you a idea, i just have one of those hand held wind weather moniters... the $150  hope this helps

nakeum,
thanks much! 
1. the baro you give is corrected or no?
2. 1000' = DA or is it the elevation your weatherstation is showing?
3.  I asssume this is Sunday data?

Karl

Offline stratman59

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »
the gas man had the corrected altitude at 2800 ft.  this was on saturday
later
robbie

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:36:07 PM »
Great speeds guys. Airport altitude 746 ft. Seems the day was a little warmer than standard. How about the return speeds? If you don't have any return speeds then they are not very record breaking. It is common knowledge that airports are built in regard to the prevailing winds. Give me some return speeds and I will join you in the hoopla! Definitely the speed would be faster than Bonneville because of the density altitude but you have to run both ways--
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline entropy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:21:15 AM »
the gas man had the corrected altitude at 2800 ft.  this was on saturday
later
robbie

DA = 2800' on Sat mid day seems closer to what i was expecting.

what a dumbass = me for not systematically taking readings :(

Offline Nosgsx1300

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:18:00 AM »
Great speeds guys. Airport altitude 746 ft. Seems the day was a little warmer than standard. How about the return speeds? If you don't have any return speeds then they are not very record breaking. It is common knowledge that airports are built in regard to the prevailing winds. Give me some return speeds and I will join you in the hoopla! Definitely the speed would be faster than Bonneville because of the density altitude but you have to run both ways--

maxton and texas also only run one direction
if you are that concerned about "the average" then don't bother coming

Offline Warp12

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 09:34:50 AM »
-Edit-   :-)

Nearly all of us had a great time, went fast, and supported a new racing venue. And yes, some of the fastest speeds ever were recorded! :cheers:

Relating to the DA, I felt the air could have been a little better, and that seems to be the case. But Sunday's winds, and the distance, could not be beat. Saturday and Monday were not blessed with the same weather conditions.

Shane
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:39:48 PM by Warp12 »

Offline Lauren O

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 09:42:07 AM »
 :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 09:48:39 AM by Lauren O »

Offline nakeum

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 02:06:23 PM »

I was told they almost always have a head wind....  you don't seem to happy for us!!  I actually think you will go faster on asphalt with a 1.5  then bonneville with wheel spin.. You should have come!!! I've run Maxton Bonneville and Loring.. Ilove them all , but Bonneville is defintly the hardest...

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 03:00:49 PM »
I said from the start you can't compare one venue with another, Hell, if you want to pick nits, you can't compare a venue to itself on separate dates. Bonneville would be the best example, running anytime from August through October, wet/dry, cold/hot, traction/no traction, headwind/tailwind. Should Tailwinds be factored in ?
Maybe one of the resident Nits on these lists could come up with a computer program factoring everything in to set National standards and records, that way we'd all live happily ever after and nobody would ever say their El KaBong Dry Barf Valley Timing Association was better.
The prevailing winds at Loring are basically westerly, Saturday they were all out of the South, and they kept the flies at bay, the only thing really important about this entire response.
The track obviously runs North/South, maybe because winds aren't as important to B-52s ?
Be happy we had a great weekend in Maine,  finally a serious alternative for  LSR in the North East. Come on up, it is a great experience.
Bob Wanner

Offline jb2

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
Does FIM take density altitude into account?  (he asks sarcastically)

Jim

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 07:06:44 PM »
The wind on Monday was out of the WNW at approximately 4 knots ... course runs south to north ...

Joe