Author Topic: First time driver - Time Only questions.  (Read 4875 times)

Offline Hit or Miss

• New folks
First time driver - Time Only questions.
« on: August 06, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
I'm looking to make my first go at Maxton in October, have the '09 Rule book in hand and have decided it will probably be easiest for me to run Time Only since it's my first adventure.  I plan on running my 1970 Firebird that is pretty much all stock.  My questions are:

1) Do I need to request a car number to run Time Only?
2) There is a reference in the rule book about the need for additional hood pins or tie down straps, but it's wasn't real clear if this applied to all cars or just over 135 mph, how is this applied?
3) Since I'm running T/O and limited to being under 135 mph my understanding is that 'stock' T or S rated tires will be acceptable, is this correct?  Also, my current tires are about 12 years old, have lots of tread but are showing a few side wall cracks.  I'm guessing they would be rejected by Tech so planning on getting new ones anyway, just curious how strict they are on the tires.
4) What is the procedure for two drivers running the same car?

Thanks in advance for the time and help.  Hope I didn't drop too many questions on my first posting but am really excited about this and just want to make things go as smoothly as possible..

Rick

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: First time driver - Time Only questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 09:35:57 PM »
Rick,,,

First of all WELCOME  to the addiction !!!  Hope to see you in October,,, Man I love 70 Bird's..

Now to help with a few of your questions.

To run at Maxton you need to be a member of ECTA ($50 per year) but since this is late in the year, I think it will only cost you $25.. that gets you a car #  and yes even for T/O  you have to be a member with a car #  also you have to register for the event.. $100 pre register ($120 at the event , I think).,

Tires, Yes S OR T rated would be OK for your speed,, however with 12 year old cracked tires, they would probably flunk tech,,, personally, I would get a new set of tires,, and if buying a new set for a 1970 Firebird, I would get a new set of BF GoodRich T/A Radials  .. they are close to period correct for your car, have many sizes and are H Rated,, which allows you to run up to 150mph,, should be under $400 for a set mounted, balanced out the door. 

If you have a more modern lowered look on the car and want low profile tires  you can get Fuzion ZRI 
tires and are Z rated hook good and cost about the same,,,

Hope this helps.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Hit or Miss

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:39:38 AM »
Charles,

Thanks for the tips, I got my number today and UPS delivered my helmet last week so that's squared away.

New tires are on the shopping list, not alot of options for the stock 14" Rallye Wheels but the BFG T/A or Firestone Firehawks are the top picks.

Definitely look for us in October.

Thanks,
Rick

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 02:02:50 PM »
Rick,,

Cool car,  I love it.. My first car was a poncho... 68 GTO,, Thanks for posting the pic.

Make sure to stop by my pit and say hello in October

Tires,  the BFG's or the FireHawks are both good choices.. the main thing is getting a new set before you head down here.

Charles
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 05:40:09 PM »
Cajun Kid ( Charles)  Hey, just a quick update on our Salt trip!  Blew the motor up in "Hellbitz" the 500cc Weslake powered bike that we (Ronnie Scroggins and I ) run in the push rod g and f classes. So after 4 years, and three records with no problems what-so-ever my partner headed back to Canada on Monday to try and rebuild if possable ( parts come from England) and if so he will be at BUB. If not feasable to rebuild we have an idea of a Rotax snow mobile powered 3 wheeler stream liner for next year.  We'll see what happenes.   As for the "Old Crow" belly tanker, we holed a piston on Sunday but with the help of a great crew, and a Master flathead mechanic,  Max Herman of H and H flat heads the kids were still running on Tuesday when I had to leave due to my little Brothers heart attack on Saturday afternoon in Oregon.  He is recuperating comfortably now after a Stent implant.  Lots of prayers and well wishes from all our friends at the Salt were appreciated.  I pulled a 17 hour straight thru trip from the Salt to Az., got home bout 1;30 a.m. this morning.   All in all it was a beautiful week up there,  Nuff B.S.  just a quick up date on my trip..    C U soon!   Crow.
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 08:57:49 PM »
Crow, thanks for the update... hope your brother has a speedy recovery.  Talk soon.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline fastdan

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »
Hey Rick,
What engine/trans/gear are you running?
How fast do you expect to go?

Offline Hit or Miss

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 02:28:47 PM »
fastdan,

It's running a stock Pontiac 350, turbo 350 trans, and 2.83 rear end.  Not sure of the top speed we'll see.  With the 26" tall tires and that rear end, it's mathematically capable of 135 mph but I have no idea if it'll do it inside of a mile.

Rick

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 03:01:21 PM »
Well Rick,,, we will all find out how fast that setup will go when you get to Maxton...

I vote  124

See ya,, good luck and make sure to look me up when you get to Maxton.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT