Author Topic: 265 MPH on a street bike...  (Read 12375 times)

slopoke

265 MPH on a street bike...
« on: August 06, 2009, 11:44:32 AM »
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 09:16:49 PM by slopoke »

Offline tricktom1

Re: 265 MPH on a street bike...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 01:16:39 PM »
Nice read, sounds like the whole team/crew kicked butt!
TexasMile 261.5 MPH
http://www.houstonmile.com/

Offline nakeum

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:18:56 PM »
Congrats to all who got in the club, but i think i need to step up the one .016 dry shot jet, i mean i didn't even feel it.. I should of ran it some more now that i think about it, but i don't like to hurt our big motors. I guess i could of put a 40hp  shot in instead of a 9hp, and hit 240.. I think thats or plan for Maxton in Oct.. but don't expect those speeds there...  Thank you for a great meet and will see you next year and bring that tail wind back...Did someone grab our teams hats as we had to get back to our day job..

Offline sabat

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 02:02:26 PM »
"nakem" --- funny Steve  :-D

I had to leave as well, but would love to get a black hat. -Dean

Offline Warp12

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 03:26:22 PM »
A great weekend, and a big thanks from Racheal and I to Scott Guthrie for all of his advice and help.

Congrats to all on their accomplishments! 

Shane

Offline Flyboy

• Graduate National Test Pilots School,
    • http://WWW.SKYDANCERLE.COM
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 11:57:36 PM »
This just got copied to me:

HAMMAHH NEWS, 7 AUG 09  Loring Edition

What a superb weekend !

Shane Stubbs ran – on his first meet on the Hammer  - 260.990 MPH on Sunday, and 265.188 on Monday  The American record holder, and the fastest streetbike record in the world !. 

For you Bonneville Fundamentalists, the 2-run average of this 2004 Suzuki Hayabusa (two runs in the same direction, within 24 hours,) is  263.089 MPH. 

That's about 10 MPH than the same record at Bonneville (Held by Scott Guthrie Racing's JASON McVICAR)

Nobody else in the world has made two – let alone three – runs over 260 MPH with a street bike.

Shane went 222 MPH in his first LSR meet, last fall, and he went 240 MPH this spring at Goliad.  265 MPH at Loring last weekend.

This boy is on a fast elevator !

With that said, we have decided to retire the Hammer after this meet – with great honor – and we started yesterday on an all-new bike, to be called The Anvil.

Part of what we accomplished, in Debbie’s words, which I have edited a little to reflect Monday’s results:

“Todd & I came up here with and in support of team Scott Guthrie Racing. A few team highlights for the moment.

Shane Stubbs: top speed and personal best 265.188 turbo busa bike 1105. A personal best, and a 200 MPH Club hat.

Todd Dross:   top speed and personal best 240 MPH turbo busa bike 1101. A personal best, and a 200 MPH Club hat.

Josh Owen:    top speed and personal best 228 nitrous busa bike 1302. A personal best, and a 200 MPH Club hat.

Debbie Dross: top speed and personal best 218 MPH nitrous busa bike 1302. A personal best, and a 200 MPH Club hat.

Donna Timney: top speed and personal best 189 MPH NA busa bike 1302.  205 MPH on the bottle, a personal best, and a 200 MPH Club hat.

5 Personal Bests (Every rider), and 6 team new 200 MPH Club members in one meet !

Team photographer Don Smith took wonderful photo’s after a near-miss with law enforcement on Saturday.

Support crew Nadia Stubbs was vital.

I just can't be prouder of this team! The way we worked together was awesome. We didn't know Shane and his wife Nadia very well before this meet and the entire team meshed so well it's like we'd been working together for years! Simply awesome! I'll highlight each member’s accomplishments in more detail later but for now let me simply say THANK YOU to Scott Guthrie for giving this team the opportunity of a lifetime! There will be other bests but the fun, speeds, love & camaraderie of this meet will live on and remain deep in our hearts for a long time! It was simply an amazing weekend of racing!

I dumped pics here”: http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o244/narider/Loring%202009/ 

Scott sez:

We rented the track for a private continuation of the meet, and ran on the Monday.  All times and records were official, since all the LTA and ECTA crews were in place, and the clocks were untouched and unmoved.  We gave time and space to everyone who asked to join us.

On the Monday, we switched over to the CATALYST RACING COMPOSITS tail section on the Hammer, for the aero benefits to be offered in the Altered classes.  Worked fine.  After the 265 MPH run, we all signed the tail section, which Shane keeps as a “Trophy.”

DEBBIE DROSS built her own nitrous Busa BEE QUEEN, and with a fantastic tuck licensed up and joined the 200 Club with her personal best of 218 MPH.  Like Todd, Debbie spent the vast majority of the weekend supporting others, including doing all the results with Donna and Lauren Owen (Josh’s Mom and DaveO’s widow) for the Loring Timing Association.

I believe that Debbie has a 250 MPH Club run left in her.

Results at: http://www.lta-lsr.com/RESULTS.htm

TODD DROSS’S best ever time was on the “gas bike”.  SGR in Tallahassee did the chassis, and the initial motor build was by our friend, Dave Owen.  The bike took me to 221 MPH at Maxton, and Shane to his first “fast” speed at Goliad at 222 MPH (Shane was hooked).  Shane rebuilt the motor, and Todd benefited to a PB of 240 MPH.  This boy has the 250 MPH Club firmly in his sights.  Todd got very little seat time, and spent most of his weekend in support of the team.

JOSH OWEN reached a personal best of over 228 MPH, which is faster than his dad’s PB of about 219  MPH.  Dave must be smiling up there !

Josh’s speed came on Debbie’s (must be called old Faithful) BeeQueen.

Debbie has threatened to retire the bike, but “The Bee” got her a “hat” at Maxton, and also for her, Donna and Josh at Loring.   

Don’t let it out of your sight girl, the bike is already about as fast as Guy Caputo’s TIGER, and just might catch Steve Knecum with a little more “Bottle.”   

DONNA TIMNEY came off the trailer with a 169 MPH pass on the bike Debbie built   This was Donna’s first ever run over 85 MPH.  Donna went on to a top speed later of 205 MPH, and a 200 Club “Hat”  After her first run, I noticed there was a potential safety question with her helmet.  She was grinning so hard there was a possibility she was going to break the helmet chin-bar !   

See Todd’s photos of Joe Timney overwhelmed on the start line after the 205 MPH pass…..   

Owner Scott Guthrie was awarded an “honorary” 200 Club hat by the Loring 200 MPH Club.   

JAY BARKER’s tank and fabrication skills gave Shane the low position he needed.   

WAYNE POLLACK’S handlebars allowed the adjustability the bike needed for Shane’s good (and interesting) tuck. Wayne’s quiet Honda Generator purred the whole time, keeping the tires warm and the many laptops humming.   

BILL HOSLER  In addition, we helped Bill Hosler, who came all the way from California on his stock ’08 Busa with a Brock pipe, to a superb  206 MPH on Monday.  Bill had been running about 196-199 into wind all morning like the rest of us, and E. Don Smith at the timing traps noticed that his riding position could use a little coaching.  Shane and I talked with Bill, and I demonstrated for him what I thought would make an improvement, and Bill immediately stepped up 6 MPH to 204 MPH on the next run.  That was followed by a 206 MPH on the very next run.  The 204 MPH run gave him his first 200 MPH “hat.” 8 MPH from the riding position alone is a very nice improvement, and will serve Bill well in the future on any bike he rides. 

We also asked Racheal Johnson and her companion Shane Burton into the Monday affair. Rachel and Shane earned their 200 MPH Club Hats, Racheal on the turbo Busa, and Shane on his stock-motor ZX-14.

Racheal was doing quite well Monday until she tucked the front wheel in shutdown and stepped off.  The bike left 1,300 feet of marks on the concrete.  Given the coefficient of friction of the pavement at Loring, that probably represents an initial speed of around 150-180 MPH.   

The Sunday race was delayed a few moments (Really !) for “A moose on the track.”  We gained many funny stories about running a “Hayamoosa,” and  having classes for various ‘Blown Moosa” machines, etc. 

Loring Timing Association 200 MPH Club hats are now worn by these  nine team and supported riders

SHANE BURTON

DEBBIE DROSS

TODD DROSS

SCOTT GUTHRIE

BILL HOSLER

RACHEAL JOHNSON

JOSH OWEN

SHANE STUBBS

DONNA TIMNEY

SGR helps those in need.

Off to Bonneville !

Or

As the old song goes:

“See you in September”

Slopoke, tell Mr. Stubbs to come to BUB where he has to run both ways and at a greater density altitude. Then we can compare apples. Until then no more BS please-- You are sounding very amateurish--
One Fast ZX-14
Three World and Four AMA Land Speed Records
One Fast Cessna Turbo 210

Offline entropy

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 05:44:33 AM »
no more BS please-- You are sounding very amateurish--

how about a chillpill or 2 Mr flyboy...

slopoke's post is all about the tremendous Team accomplishments of Scott Guthrie's merry band of LSR's.

No one on this site needs to be reminded of the differences between airport and salt venues, duh...

The enthusiasm, camaraderie, and results shown by everyone on SGR is a cause for celebration.

We had a track & weather conditions straight from heaven, tailwind, YES!!!  woo-HOO!

The entire LSR community was invited to Loring, some couldn't make it.

With a lil luck, there will be a second Loring event in 2010.

You will be invited (again) next year.

hope you show up.

Karl

Slopoke, tell Mr. Stubbs to come to BUB where he has to run both ways and at a greater density altitude. Then we can compare apples.

I believe "Mr Stubbs" is at Speedweek at this very moment...
(or does Shane/SGR have to go to BUB rather than Speedweek???)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 05:52:16 AM by entropy »

Offline Lauren O

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 09:49:12 AM »
Flyboy...Hope if we are lucky enough to be able to return next year you join us!  We had the best time with some of the greatest people I have ever had the pleasure to call friends.  This is what this is all about. No one is winning millions, and no one is taking away from anyones accomplishments.  My husband put so much into this sport, and I only wish he could have been here to see the great accomplishments made by so many of the people he loved.  So please be happy for your LSR family at every venue we are lucky enough to enjoy and keep you negativity to yourself! Love you Dave O and miss you everyday! Watch over us all and keep us safe!

Offline nakeum

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 01:59:46 PM »
I agree, like i said also everyone is invited, you deal with the weather conditions that are delt.. it is what it is, theres several different venues... but speed is speed, we set records..national records, world can only be set at a FIM event... so i might not even have any world records.. oh well.. plent of national speed records though... thanks everyone for a perfect event...see you next year!!!

no more BS please-- You are sounding very amateurish--

how about a chillpill or 2 Mr flyboy...

slopoke's post is all about the tremendous Team accomplishments of Scott Guthrie's merry band of LSR's.

No one on this site needs to be reminded of the differences between airport and salt venues, duh...

The enthusiasm, camaraderie, and results shown by everyone on SGR is a cause for celebration.

We had a track & weather conditions straight from heaven, tailwind, YES!!!  woo-HOO!

The entire LSR community was invited to Loring, some couldn't make it.

With a lil luck, there will be a second Loring event in 2010.

You will be invited (again) next year.

hope you show up.

Karl

Slopoke, tell Mr. Stubbs to come to BUB where he has to run both ways and at a greater density altitude. Then we can compare apples.

I believe "Mr Stubbs" is at Speedweek at this very moment...
(or does Shane/SGR have to go to BUB rather than Speedweek???)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: 265 MPH on a street bike in testing...
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 03:00:54 PM »
Steve,

Don't worry about the "World" records, I have a few on the salt and they are now slower than Jason's SCTA club records... :-D

J

Offline ack

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 03:34:15 PM »
Interesting speed how much tail wind?

Now do it over a mile distance one time each way within two hours with certified timers and I will be very impressed.

Until somebody does Noonan is still the king in my eyes.

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 07:47:26 PM »
I have a friend who goes both ways-- but he's not a land speed racer
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »
No tailwind on the 265 run ... slight crosswind ...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 08:57:32 PM »
A little while ago the above-referenced Shane Stubbs left my pit with a naked turbo Hayabusa in tow (our truck was pulling our trailer with the 'Busa on it).  Shane's going to make a few runs here on the Salt to license up and learn how to ride on the Salt.  Seems he's interested in riding bikes out here.  Whether he goes a zillion miles per hour or not -- he's giving it a try starting today.  I just met him today, for that matter, and he and a friend of his came to our pit to ask if we'd be willing to lend the rig so he could do the runs.

All the above F Y I.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RansomT

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 10:44:20 PM »
No tailwind on the 265 run ... slight crosswind ...

Also, the late afternoon runs on Sunday were done with very little tail winds, if any.  Just good cool air.