Author Topic: Improvements for Loring  (Read 3176 times)

Offline half-fast

Improvements for Loring
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:25:42 PM »
Just making a couple of suggestions to make it even better.

For spectators,

1. With all the spectators in attendance, we owe it to them, to broadcast live time audio feeds.

2. With cheap type security cameras on WiFi we could transmit top end and shutdown video back to the current spectator area, even if only limited to black and white.

For racers,

Punctuality is a must, if we say we are going to start at 8:00 we have to start at 8:00.

I think others will jump in here and talk about shutdown, turnouts, etc. but for me personally seemed like a lot of foot dragging went on, but for an inaugral event, quite a succes!

Offline Nosgsx1300

Re: Improvements for Loring
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 04:46:31 AM »
there is talk that if we are invited back next year, they are going to grade a section closer to the finish, for spectating
and yeah the crowds should here the speeds over a PA of some sort

one thing I am going to recommend from the start/staging area suggestions is the starter should have a headset
leaving hands free and making better hearing with some of the vehicles being very loud at the starting line

punctuallity is something we should work on,,,,BUT that works both ways
when the racers are told the staging lanes open at 7am
then we shouldn't have 30 vehicles in line at 6am
sunday we were running only 30 minutes or so late
we only got 3-4 vehicles down the course before the rain came for a little while
and yeah I understand that if we started on time we would have gotten the 11 racers that got shutdown on saturday , off sunday before the rain came
Sunday went way smoother then saturday

remember they can't start the next racer untill the last one gives the thumbs up, some racers were forgetting and they refused to let the next racer go untill they got to timing and finally gave the thumbs up

Offline wheels777

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 06:00:33 AM »
Friday night meet and greet.
#9270 - 1954 Studebaker

Offline bearingburner

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:14:23 AM »
Next year more local publicity. Motels and Restaurants didn't know anything going on. Tour of the "junk yard" . More signage how to find the place, Thank You to Fire Dept. High School Class of 2010, Loring
redevelopment authority.And Moose that stayed on its side of the road and spectators who were so pleasant.
     Did anyone see one of the Upland Sand Pipers?

Offline LMR

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 01:48:19 PM »
Trash cans were needed at where the spectators were by the tower.
maybe an oil dump barrel
+1 on pa system

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 02:11:38 PM »
Bob Wanner said that he wants to do a post mortem and review the plus and minus ... with the expectation of improvement ... dont lose sight of the fact that this was a first time event and there had to be some holes in the plan ... most of the volunteers shaped up at the eleventh hour and no one knew what to expect .... I doubt that there had been a better first time event ever ... Joe T and Donna had a lot to do that ... Joe D

Offline Caveman

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:13:12 PM »
As a volunteer, I got to see some of the inner workings that many racers and spectators did not;

Yes, without the guidance (and them actually showing us how---while we were racing!) from the ECTA folks, this would've been a royal cluster FUBAR. 

But it wasn't too bad--- Saturday started out a little slow, as many of the volunteers had never done any type of event like this, and quite a few hadn't used a handheld radio. 

Sunday was wayyyyy faster, as the vols got the hang of it...  there was some minor miscomm's that slowed up the start of the events on Sunday, but overall, it went pretty smooth, despite the moose sighting.

Some improvements;

-Need trash cans
-A couple more Porta-potties, and maybe a clean-out on Sunday AM or Sat night.
-PA would be cool...  just a scanner with a bullhorn next to it would work
-A printed list of course procedures for drivers & crew;  we had more than a couple wayward tow vehicles, vehicles that kept it pinned 1/2 mile past the timing lights, etc...
-a wee bit of crowd control--maybe putting 50% of the local FD or EMT crew on hand in place over by the crowd coulda kept the two yahoos on a quad from straying onto the course.

Overall, for a first-time event, with some newbie volunteers (I was one of 'em!) fumbling about, this ended up a killer good time.  Can't wait till the next one!!

Tony
Tony
Loring mid-track Steward
Anybody got pics from '10 meet?  My camera broke...

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 05:56:06 PM »
Bob Wanner said that he wants to do a post mortem and review the plus and minus ... with the expectation of improvement ... dont lose sight of the fact that this was a first time event and there had to be some holes in the plan ... most of the volunteers shaped up at the eleventh hour and no one knew what to expect .... I doubt that there had been a better first time event ever ... Joe T and Donna had a lot to do that ... Joe D

I totally agree Joe.  For a 1st time event this was very good.  I've been to purpose built facilities that are not run nearly as well.  I would agree that the PA for the spectators, more advertisement as it was mostly phone calls from people there telling others.  More Portas for sure.  Spectators there wanted T shirts, hats, pictures.  If not from the LTA then race teams.  Definitely a computerized system for timing slips.  All of the hand work was so much for impound and keeping the records.  You can see my list is little things.  That's because it was all in all a great inaugural event.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline mstrdinan

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:00:00 PM »
one line in staging and only one line (just  like b"ville)  then split into 2 or three at the direction of officials(just like b"ville)