Author Topic: What made Loring Special?  (Read 4693 times)

Offline half-fast

What made Loring Special?
« on: August 03, 2009, 08:20:51 PM »
 Spectators asking you what the heck is that, you telling them, and saying thanks for having us here, them saying “we live next dooaah  {loose translation within 2 hours or so}, we will make sure you guys are here next year!”
The FD/PD actually wanting you there!
Witnessing the historic pass of SGR.
Being part of the inaugural event.
Having the hotel staff after working a graveyard shift show up in staging on Sunday searching you out for their second day at the event…..for more spectating…TFA’s story to tell…………
Looking over from staging and seeing the continuous traffic jam of spectators waiting to get into the place.
The radio news and TV news coverage, very reminiscent of Bville.
Having each team member accomplish their individual bests, to date,  in each motor/class combo.
Melting a piston, deburring the cylinder with a drill and porting stone, slapping together a pit special cobbled top end, and then laying down the best speeds of the team with a junked motor..
Hearing a vast majority of racers saying my best ever, and seeing all the smiles, seeing class mph numbers in excess of B-ville (yes I know it is timed differently).

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
Re: What made Loring Special?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
For me it was seeing the effort of Bob and Bob, Joe and Donna, Kim, Joe and everyone of the volunteers I haven't mentioned.  You all put out such an effort.  Seeing Donna make a pass on the Busa.  Seeing Josh make the 2 club.  Being on the line watching Phil become the 1st into the 2 club and celebrating with his success.  Screaming and celebrating all the way up the return road after the all motor 636 ran 190.  Seeing Phil and Paula in impound waiting for me to celebrate.  The spectators, endless line of spectators walking through the pre-stage area thanking us for being there and asking for us to please return.  Donna telling me she thought of me the whole time she made that first pass, finally understanding my excitement.  She got it.  Seeing my wife smile at our success.  This was a weekend of a lifetime.  We did something I didn't think possible.  There were awesome times turned in at Loring, but I never thought we could go 190 on an all motor 636.  At 188.5 I dared think we might have a chance.  Amazing, spectacular and magnificent come to mind, but again, without you very special volunteers, it could not have happened.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline Frank06

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 11:56:25 PM »
This weekend was my first LSR event.  I had thought about running one of my bikes but decided to volunteer instead to learn a bit more about how things worked.  I had the pleasure of writing a lot of the time slips out and it was an absolutely fantastic experience watching the joy on the faces of riders and drivers.  We had a lot of happy customers!  You should have heard the whoops in our area when Shane ran his 260!  I have pics that I'm trying to upload to flickr and I'll post the link if it ever works.

But by far, the most special memory will be about all the people involved with this event.  Thanks everyone for a great weekend.
E-Racer

Offline Nosgsx1300

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 04:36:23 AM »
the locals were so freindly :mrgreen:
the racers were helpful and freindly
the venue was amazing

Loring could become one of the premier venues in the world very easily

Offline wheels777

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 05:57:51 AM »
The people of Maine are amazing.  Even the toll collectors smiled and said thank you.  As you enter the state, there is a sign that says, "The way life should be!"  These people live it.  Everyone and everywhere we went we were greeted with hello and treated kindly.  We are already planning a return trip.
#9270 - 1954 Studebaker

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 02:59:49 PM »
I had to put 2 cigarette lighter plug ends on Friday morning to power the FM mobile radios for "The Commander". I stopped in the Caribou Car Quest store and they only had one ... counter guy said he could get me one from their other store in Preq Isle later in the day and they would deliver it to the track ... cost of the item $3.97... get a call on the cell phone an hour later and it is delivered ... this cant happen in NY ... Joe

Offline Caveman

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »
the locals!!!  All of 'em, ayah!

and definitely the local PD setting up their patrol car at the 1.5-mile mark and calibrating their radar gun...   whole new meaning to the phrase 'speed trap' :mrgreen:.

Tony
Tony
Loring mid-track Steward
Anybody got pics from '10 meet?  My camera broke...

Spectator

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 07:57:35 PM »
I lasted only a half-hour as a spectator.  But Donna allowed me to help with impound on Saturday.

It was so non-competitive for "racing"; It looked like everyone wanted everyone to go faster.  I got to see lots of people just high on the results of their work.  Everyone helped me find their class in those confusing car record books (the bikes are much easier).  I was impressed by the patience shown by people who clearly had adjustments and more runs to make.  (And I don't mean that heavy sigh that demonstrates exactly how patient someone has to be; people were truly patient.)

I was clearly an outsider at the event, but folks explained their work and machines as if I was a friend instead of a pest.

But the biggest reward for me was being allowed and trusted to help in impound.  Thanks Donna.

My biggest regret is the commute (250 miles each way on a near-naked bike) that discouraged me from helping on Sunday.

Dave Evans

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 08:22:05 PM »
Hey Spectator,  When the next event rolls around remind me that you had that commute and you have first dibbs on the second bed in my room at no charge as thanks for volunteering.  A huge thumbs up to the volunteers and spectators from Maine.  We couldn't have asked for more.  Next year I will try to remember to put a cb on a loud speaker in my pit to help out with the commo issue.

:cheers:

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 08:38:00 PM »
Dave ... you assistance was greatly appreciated ... you made the book entry for my run .... come down to Maxton in September and ride the monster mile ... ...

Joe

Offline half-fast

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 10:10:13 AM »
And when you leave the state, the sign says "Maine-Worth a visit, worth a lifetime"

The people of Maine are amazing.  Even the toll collectors smiled and said thank you.  As you enter the state, there is a sign that says, "The way life should be!"  These people live it.  Everyone and everywhere we went we were greeted with hello and treated kindly.  We are already planning a return trip.

Offline dtimney

• New folks
  • 205 MPH WooooHooo
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2009, 08:28:29 PM »
What made Loring Special.  Oh, gee..I don't know...Let me see:

To ride down that track with my beloved husband that first day as tears came to his eyes at the 3/4 mile...he couldn't speak, the track was  impeccable. 
To see Phillip and Paula Campbell the moment we got on the property.   What a welcome site...you guys are awsome..love you both.
The priviledge to speak with each and every racer that drove/rode down that course as they came through registration/tech/impound.
The local fella' who said to me..."Thanks for being here..You have just given me a reason to live.  Please come back next year".
To have my friend Lauren O, once again by my side in registration and later in impound.  I love you so much, Lauren. (We missed you Tonya).
To sit at dinner Sunday night with SGR, telling of each one's personal accomplishments of that day, of which I was one...Thank you Scott...
To see the faces of each and every racer,  realizing their personal best...It was priceless...I am honored to have been  part of that. 
What a rush to ride Deb's 'Busa,... Todd and Deb, I love you both.  I can never repay you for that. 
To have Josh as my wing man on my maiden run around the pits on that 'Busa (nothing could be more special). Thanks Josh..I love you.
To have Kim at the gate, with her awsome smile and personality....Kim, you have become an Icon..you are a true comfort to folks when they see you at the gate....Thanks so much from the bottom of my heart for spending 2.5 days in the sun....you are truly awsome.
Perhaps one of the most special was having Joe's son, Matthew and his fiancee Erin spending the weekend with us.  Very special...Very, very special to both Joe and I.  Thanks Matt.
There's a ton more...Two weeks later...I'm still thinking about it.

As I read over my list of "what made Loring special", It looks and sounds to me like I've fallen in love all over again.......with Land Speed Racing.....I must say ,"Thank You" to my adoring Husband for intrducing me to all of this.  I love you honey...

Thanks to everyone who gave of their time and talents to pull this off....... As Paula Campbell would say....I love you bunches.

Offline gofast

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 08:29:10 PM »
On our way to Bonneville, my husband and I checked out Zion, Bryce canyon and Capital Reef Park.
After a week on the salt we drove back down to Las Vegas and toured Hoover Dam.

I have seen enough rocks and desert to last a life time. I was very happy to get back to Maine.
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.