Author Topic: V4 Dodge  (Read 237335 times)

Offline Kiwi Paul

Re: V4 Dodge
« Reply #450 on: September 10, 2014, 09:25:34 PM »
I have to agree. Really looking forward to the rest of the mods. Rocker Arm geometry, manifolding, ignition, and so on. Neat stuff, Rich.....

Offline zenndog

« Reply #451 on: September 13, 2014, 10:08:15 PM »
Some pictures from today

We machined the areas around five of the head bolt holes to make sure they were flat. Some of the holes had to have a drill run through again to make certain they were clear of weld. Then we tried it on the block.

Once we knew the head fit again, we started on the spacer for the intake side. It is going to adapt the the fuel injection intake and cover up the part of the block the head doesn't cover.

First we made a pattern off the head

Rich blued the aluminum selected for the job at hand.

Then to the mill

We drilled some 7/8" holes and that was it for the day. Rich gets tired watching me fumble around at his mill so he needed me to stop.

I suspect if he will post some pics later this week.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #452 on: September 13, 2014, 10:26:02 PM »
wow what great STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Freud

« Reply #453 on: September 14, 2014, 12:18:59 AM »
When someone says they built an engine, refer them to this diary

and make certain that have the real concept.

Great work fellows.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #454 on: September 14, 2014, 01:33:45 AM »
When someone says they built an engine, refer them to this diary

Glenn, few will tread here - the new frontier of the Ozone Rangers.

Fewer will succeed.

But Rich has been here before, come back with reconnaissance, and signed on for another tour.

This is going to work.

And probably pretty damned well.

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #455 on: September 14, 2014, 11:24:55 AM »
Very few Chris. I am lucky to have someone like Rich nearby. Metal wizards they are!@

Offline Freud

« Reply #456 on: September 14, 2014, 11:58:12 AM »
Would we call this project a head job?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #457 on: September 14, 2014, 12:15:06 PM »
Jeez, I hope there's no plans for a supercharger.   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Tman

« Reply #458 on: September 14, 2014, 12:43:05 PM »
Jeez, I hope there's no plans for a supercharger.   :mrgreen:

Mike

Reminds me of the time my luddite boss at the rod shop got on our then new internet, typed in "blowers" and hit the I AM FEELING LUCKY tab...................took myself and a pal 3 hours to take all the Russian and Eastern European drivers and spyware off the computer! Boy did he get to see some things before he finally unplugged everything!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #459 on: September 14, 2014, 04:48:33 PM »
And this is the idea of what the spacer plate will look like. Needs more chips out of it.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #460 on: September 14, 2014, 05:18:52 PM »
I have to agree. Really looking forward to the rest of the mods. Rocker Arm geometry, manifolding, ignition, and so on. Neat stuff, Rich.....

Rich has a Hilborn injection unit for a Chrysler race head.....we think. It will be modified slightly to work on the head. The ignition is a Rotophaze distributor that Rich already has from when he started this project. The Edelbrock head uses SBC roller rockers, we will need to clearance some of the push rod holes, but I already have the roller rockers. The head was chosen because the cylinder spacing and the location of pushrods and head bolt holes was basically as perfect as you could hope from a head designed for an engine made probably 50 years after the 26 dodge. It is a Chrysler magnum head. We need lots of machine work, pistons, and pushrods. We will need to make the exhaust headers. But, then we put the engine back in the car and try to fire it. Easy, just lots of time and money.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #461 on: September 14, 2014, 06:13:04 PM »
Just a thought - and bear in mind, this is from a guy who was fighting for every last CFM of air I could find.

I understand the need for the plate, I would consider the effect it might have on airflow on the short side radius going into the combustion chamber.  Perhaps raising the slot in the plate might give you better flow.  I'd look at the Edlebrock manifolds that work well with this head, and try to emulate the flow pattern - you won't be far off.

But on the other hand, this thing would take a major mistake to choke it off, and I don't see you two making major mistakes.  :cheers:

Stellar workmanship.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #462 on: September 14, 2014, 06:59:18 PM »
Fitting under that hood is also a concern. So the extension ports flow down about 5 degrees to meet the head. The Edlebrock intake ports are nothing to write home about. CNC milled for the first 3/16 maybe. But the stock Dodge Bros. only had one intake port and that was on the opposite side from the valves. So it's got to be an improvement.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #463 on: September 20, 2014, 11:04:29 PM »
Here is today's progress. We worked on drilling the mounting holes for the intake adapter plate.

First Rich marked off where the head bolts were in relation to the ports with red tape

Then after some discussion we marked and drilled the holes.

Rich plans on drilling and tapping the holes in the head tomorrow. We actually drilled the holes in the plate with a #7 drill so the holes in the plate can "guide" the drill for the holes in the head. Once the head is drilled the holes in the plate will be opened up so the 1/4-20 cap screws will fit.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:00:31 AM by zenndog »

Offline Freud

« Reply #464 on: September 20, 2014, 11:13:39 PM »
This is absolutely beautiful. I'm glad you didn't quit.

Art and ingenuity in metal.

FREUD
Since '63