Author Topic: V4 Dodge  (Read 237916 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: V4 Dodge
« Reply #75 on: October 27, 2011, 12:21:41 PM »
This gear deal is unbelievable. But yesterday I shipped the Bantam off to the blaster to see whats what. And shipped all my Packard parts off to Spokane. So I am out of the Packard business. Guess I can send Dan another email about the gears. Doesn't seem to help much.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #76 on: October 27, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »
. . . and the Vega?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline RichFox

« Reply #77 on: October 27, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »
Is for sale for $5000 as is where is, or make offer. Or available for loan to interesting engine owners.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #78 on: December 12, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »
Here are some pics of Rich's Dodge from the weekend of 12/10, 12/11.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2011, 06:23:31 AM »
Rich, were the stock pistons pop ups, or is that your deal? What's compression going to be?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2011, 09:12:28 AM »
Seems like you've been waiting on the cam gears for a long time - they came out nice.  Keep posting - love this vintage stuff!

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2011, 10:56:06 AM »
The stock CR was around 4.5 when it was a flathead. With the Morton & Brett OHV conversion it didn't go up much. They must have had some super pop ups to maintain even 4.5. I am shooting for 9 to 1. The gears took 11 months. Yes they are nice. But that is a really long wait.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #82 on: December 17, 2011, 11:52:12 PM »
More of Rich Fox's 1926 Dodge motor, from today

Rich installed the damper doruing the week, this is a billet crank that Rich had made by Crower. It uses Dodge/Mitsubishi insert bearings which the block and mains were line bored to accept. Rich fabricated the mains himself. The crank nose accepts a SBC damper, and the crank flange accepts ford flywheels so he could bolt the engine on to the driveline already in his 29 roadster.

The front of a SBC oil pan was welded to the front of the original 26 Dodge oil pan so the motor uses a front seal from a SBC

Here is a close up of the timing gears and the mix of spacers, one from the original 26 Dodge crank, and two Rich and I made while fitting the timing gears. This is also a good close up of the front main cap, note the fitting for the full pressure oil.

Oil pan from the inside, showing the pressure lines for the main caps and the oil manifold. All fabricated and assembled by Rich.

Another view of the crank

It was difficult to attach the oil lines and then locate the pan, even though this was the down hill side, the caption would read "@@$#%^***##@!!"

Buttoning up the pan

Buttoned

The story that isn't shown:

The rear oil fitting was in the way of the rear counter weight. after the first assembly we had to take it back apart and turn down part of the nut, took two cuts but its all good now!

After fixing the rubbing fitting, we were bolting the pan down, and realized we forgot the half of the rear rope seal that went in the oil pan so we had to unbolt the pan one more time. At least we didn't have to disconnect the oil lines, I was able to slip the seal in. Then we buttoned it up! May seem simple but this was a milestone day after waiting for the custom timing gears for 11 months!!!!!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #83 on: December 18, 2011, 03:56:45 AM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Outstanding. 

I waited 7 months for my crank, whined about it, emailed and called the grinder, pulled my hair out.

But there is no greater satisfaction than finally getting the new pieces together, and nothing as cool as seeing a block older than most of us that somehow escaped the scrap heap, fitted with high quality, state-of-the-art components, and being prepped for duty its designers never imagined possible.

I love this sport, and it's precisely because of projects like this one.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline V4F STR 60

• Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
« Reply #84 on: December 18, 2011, 10:24:54 AM »
Rich,

We're really enjoying seeing close-ups of your workmanship.  John and Horace Dodge would be proud.

Can't wait to see it on the Salt.

Lets keep turning up the heat on those vintage Fords!  We have some interesting mods going into our V4F Dodge motor for next year as well.
Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
1928 Dodge Brothers Vintage Flathead Four Cylinder Roadster & Lakester

Landspeed Records

Bonneville

2009 V4F/STR 115.681
2009 V4F/GR 116.439
2009 V4F/FR 117.597
2010 V4F/BSTR 127.352
2012 V4F/BFMR 130.843
2013 V4F/BGMR 142.956
2013 V4F/BFMR 143.254
2013 V4F/BGR 138.395
2013 V4F/BFR 138.984

El Mirage

2016 V4F/BGMR 140.961

www.facebook.com/MontanaDodgeBoys
www.fastfourspecial.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #85 on: December 18, 2011, 10:45:36 AM »
While the oil system seemed like a good idea some time ago, when I built it. And I sure expect it to work. I would never do it this way again. And if we ever rebuild the engine the oil manifold will be in the two piece pan with only one line going in.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2011, 10:50:35 AM »
Isn't hindsight great? As we get older we definitely get smarter! It's just that we begin to realize how much more there still is to learn. :-o :-o :-D

Pete

Offline jpm49c

« Reply #87 on: December 18, 2011, 12:49:27 PM »
Nice work guys! Thanks for the pictures.  John

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #88 on: December 18, 2011, 01:08:05 PM »
Once again you amaze me Mr. Fox!

Smitty    :cheers:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #89 on: December 18, 2011, 03:09:05 PM »
The engine looks great!

I've noticed a pattern-all of your record setting engines, that I've seen, are yellow.If this one excels, I predict a LOT of yellow engines at Bonneville! :-D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c