Author Topic: V4 Dodge  (Read 238144 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: V4 Dodge
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »
Mr Fox you never fail to amaze me! I have been collecting an assortment of "Offbeat" power plants, and parts over the years with the intent of doing something with them... someday. Now that I'm about to retire from the Military and take one of those cushy state jobs I'll have time to make "Someday" happen. I've gotten my choices down to 2 engines... A Perkins 3 cylinder Diesel, or a 1951 226 Ford six. Guess I'll have to put a blindfold on and throw a dart.. which ever engine I hit will be the one.
 Anyway that Dodge is looking great! Keep us up to date.

Smitty     :cheers:
A Perkins would be over the top on my Weird meter. Have fun.  RF

Offline zenndog

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2011, 07:57:15 PM »

I can't wait to hear the Dodge fire and I am looking forward to putting it in your roadster.

I am disappointed that it probably won't make it to the salt this year.

If it seems like I want to get the Dodge put together it is just because it is fun.

At least if the plan is 2012 then I will have a better chance of planning ahead to take you up on your offer to drive it.

When you asked if anyone wanted to help with a Modified Pick-up I assumed the Dodge was finished.

Either way it has been a pleasure to help out.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2011, 04:45:16 AM »
Well I know I'm glad for the help and lucky to have a skilled person jump in and push. Thanks.

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2011, 11:43:57 AM »
With some inspiration from Stan Back I've decided on the Ford 6. The Perkins will power my riding mower, or a pump or something. Any suggestions on how to make the bottom end hold together?

Smitty      :cheers:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »
I like the idea of good oil flow, as opposed to high pressure. (Large side clearances) ARP studs. I made some stout main caps for the Dodge. Big (Moroso) external oil pump to supply all that oil. I like the Ford idea myself. Is this for an XO project?

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #65 on: June 20, 2011, 11:59:41 AM »
Rich, I've been building on a 29 for about 6 years now. I've also taken exotic middle eastern vacations for the last 3 years so the build is more of a garage ornament at this time. BUT! Colleen says I'm getting to old to be playing soldier, and to find a safer past time.... LSR sounds good to me.
 Thanks for the ideas. I'm picturing an engine that would make a Steam Punk jealous. XO, or V4 is probably the last of the "I built that from scratch" ways to get into racing.. you just don't go out and buy a set of rods, or a cam from Jegs you have to build or adapt most of everything, but you end up with a piece of art in the end.

Smitty      :cheers:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2011, 03:14:27 PM »
After Iraqi, El Mirage might seem like a pretty nice place. At least we don't shoot at you. The Ford is a little small for XO. But just as much fun as any. That's why I tried to get the XO and XF classes to change to the standard engine size breaks. F through C. No deal.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2011, 04:29:43 PM »
Update Rich, or I will. Z

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2011, 04:39:02 PM »
Good Idea!

...we really don't care who does the update, as long as someone does! :evil:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline RichFox

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2011, 05:41:38 PM »
Zenon is doing all the other work anyway. He may as well do the update. The only things he dosn't know is that I made the adapter bushing  and installed the pilot bearing. And the cam gear and test crank gear are comming over here next week so that I can confirm the fit. Soon after that the real crank and aux shaft gears will be made and all that opens up.

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2011, 06:37:22 AM »
Rich and Zenon, sounds like things are going your way! Can't wait to see what Zenon has to say.

If you guys end up needing a pit crew, I'll volunteer-Rich, you've got my number.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

Offline zenndog

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2011, 03:45:24 PM »
Hey Rich,

That is great that you made the bushing and installed the pilot bushing.

You do more of the work that matters, I just do the grunt work.

In the last picture, I believe we had mounted and dialed in the bell housing. We also drilled and installed locating pins. we bolted on the transmission and figured out where the pilot shaft set in relation to the crankshaft. I assume Rich remembered what we decided since he made the bushing and installed the pilot bearing.

Since that point Rich milled a little bit off the flywheel so there was plenty of clearance between the bell housing plate and the flywheel.

We mounted the starter. That involved machining a mounting plate and then figuring out how to mount it to the bell housing plate. We had a    small side issue of having to orient the starter so that the solenoid would not interfere with the oil supply manifold. All in all I think it went very smooth. It took a while because I was running all over this summer and didn't get out to work on it as much as I had hoped.

Rich fabricated the oil supply manifold during the week a couple weeks ago and installed it. The manifold mounts on fittings brazed to the oil pan which supply the mains.

I think this last weekend we worked on making plates to cover up various holes like where the original starter used to mount on the block.

And just to put it chronological order, Rich made the bushing for the end of the crank and installed the pilot bearing.

Rich had an old breather tube assy and we are going to modify it and make a road draft tube to help vent the crankcase. There is already a breather near the top of the crankcase. the road draft tube is supposed to help suck air through the top breather and out through the road draft tube by creating a vacuum. We need to fabricate a cap, even though I am doing all the work Rich may have that done by the time I get out to help again. :wink:

Once the gears are ready then we can clean and button up the engine.

Once that is done I think the plan is to set the engine in the roadster, fabricate the mounts to attach it to the frame, then figure out where to mount the alternator, fuel pump, and oil pump. We did a little simple figuring  a while back and Rich expects the hood will need a big bulge to cover the engine with the M & B head on it. So that will be worked on as well as routing/rerouting various wires/lines etc.

How is that. I keep meaning to take my camera out a take some pics, but I keep forgetting. 

Offline RichFox

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »
I had some other appointments today, but I did get the engine relocated on the stand so I could roll it over. Tomarrow I will pull the pan and aux drive so that I can check backlash on the new cam gears. This is a big deal because of the amount of time I have been waiting for these gears. Assuming all goes well the gears go back to the gear cutter and get finished. And the thing can finally get assembled with sealer on the gaskets.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #73 on: October 26, 2011, 11:34:27 PM »
Update

Rich is still waiting for the gears to come back. That has everything at a stand still. There are many things that have to be done after the engine is in Rich's roadster but he doesn't want to put it in the car till it is buttoned up and to do that we need the timing gears. Zenon

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #74 on: October 27, 2011, 08:28:29 AM »
Any ETA on the gears?