Author Topic: V4 Dodge  (Read 237339 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: V4 Dodge
« Reply #465 on: September 21, 2014, 11:53:45 AM »
"Rich plans on drilling and tapping the holes in the head tomorrow"                                                                       This is not quite true. Today I plan to do wash and begin to load up for SpeedWeek Two. Again. Zenon bought that head and if anybody is drilling holes in it I think it should be him.    Thanks FREUD for the kind words.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 12:12:45 PM by RichFox »

Offline Freud

« Reply #466 on: September 21, 2014, 01:59:32 PM »
Rich, You are an example of Old School that has taken the benefits from New School and

produced an excellent example of Modern Hotrodding. I just want to hear that puppy

growl.  I also hope that packing for Speed Week 2 isn't a waste of time. I've been there

5 times this year and even with an offer of a great ride I won't be there for this last

gasp attempt at convincing Mother Nature that we deserve one last go.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline zenndog

« Reply #467 on: September 21, 2014, 08:04:35 PM »
Yeah, have a great trip Rich. Hopefully a dry one for everyone.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #468 on: October 04, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
Update

Rich drilled the mount holes for the intake setup and did a slick job, as usual, mating the ports to the intake.

We set the adapter plate on the head and clamped it down. Then drilled and tapped one hole at each end of the plate so we could screw it on and drill the rest. As I said before we had drilled the plate with a #7 drill so we could us it as a guide of sorts for drilling the head.

Here are some pics

First two holes drilled and tapped

Mounting plate to drill the rest of the holes

Here is a close up of Rich's port matching. He set the plate up and milled the outside of each port at a 17deg angle so the intake transitions to the ports on the head

More detail of the plate, now fully bolted on. The fitting is the coolant inlet for the head

Lastly, a little teaser of the intake bolted on. You can see the red tape? That is a head bolt location. The intake will be cut in half to work and the section in the middle will be left long so we can have and extra mounting bolt off the head stud for strength.

Few more, money shots.....so to speak

Here is another part Rich got done. He wanted to make sure you all know that the little spacer in the center is made from material left over from when he made the headers for his V8 Packard project

That is all for now! Enjoy!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #469 on: October 04, 2014, 06:15:43 PM »
looking at these pictures i think I put the water inlet on the wrong end.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #470 on: October 04, 2014, 06:32:57 PM »
The inlet is on the front right side rich, where the old one was. Did you want it on the exhaust side? Or in the rear of the plate?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #471 on: October 04, 2014, 07:09:46 PM »
Rear

Offline zenndog

« Reply #472 on: October 04, 2014, 10:08:16 PM »
Ooppps :-o

Offline RichFox

« Reply #473 on: October 04, 2014, 10:31:35 PM »
In the airplane business this would call for an "Engineering Variation Authority" to be generated. At my house it just gets an "Oh Dodge" and another hole.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #474 on: October 04, 2014, 10:54:02 PM »
lol  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RichFox

« Reply #475 on: October 07, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »
Hopefully this will post a picture of what it looks like with the spacer bolted on, faced off flush with the deck surface and drilled for the head bolts. Looks like there is plenty of material for injector hold down studs to me. I am going to have to take some time off to get rewired, so there will not be much progress for a while. 

Online jdincau

« Reply #476 on: October 07, 2014, 08:02:45 PM »
In the airplane business this would call for an "Engineering Variation Authority" to be generated. At my house it just gets an "Oh Dodge" and another hole.
At the old lazy L we called it a "TRDR"  tooling request for a drawing revision.

It's looking good Rich, good luck on whatever is getting the rewire
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 08:05:44 PM by jdincau »
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline zenndog

« Reply #477 on: October 11, 2014, 08:25:09 PM »
We welded the exhaust flange for the headers today. I didn't take any pictures.

Good luck Rich! Hope your procedure goes perfect on Monday.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #478 on: October 12, 2014, 09:47:41 AM »
Not as much as I do.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #479 on: November 09, 2014, 10:12:25 PM »
We a few weeks off while Rich upgraded his electrical system

We started with the intake

Here we go again cutting up perfectly good speed parts

Let's take a look

We also worked on making some small washers that lock the intakes in place, and Rich turned down those long hex nuts so they fit into the holes on the intakes.

Rich also brazed some short pieces of tubing into the header flange to start off the header tubes. I thought I took a pic but apparently I didn't. We made some extra clearance for two of the header bolts using heat and bangy type objects until it was easy to get the bolt in. Very therapeutic.