Author Topic: V4 Dodge  (Read 238189 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: V4 Dodge
« Reply #420 on: June 14, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »
Rich, I took a quick scan through the Jalopy Journal site and see what they're using for their forum.  I didn't register - so don't know how easy it is to get a photo on it.  I did see that the forum software used there is a purchased software.  It looks like a couple of hundred dollars - maybe a little bit more - per year.  We use SMF (Simple Machines Forum, I think it is) and it's free.  That's a good reason to keep using it - until I get some continuing support from a number of Forum members.

I would need to register and spend some time on that forum to see what I think and if it would make changing worthwhile to the majority of Forum members here on landracing.com.  But thanks very much for the comment.  I'll pass it along to Bob Clancy to get some of his input, too.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #421 on: June 14, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »
Some days i can post pictures just fine. Some days not. Looks like other people can do it. Could be the problem is not on your end.

Offline Tman

« Reply #422 on: June 15, 2014, 10:50:46 AM »
Rich, I took a quick scan through the Jalopy Journal site and see what they're using for their forum.  I didn't register - so don't know how easy it is to get a photo on it.  I did see that the forum software used there is a purchased software.  It looks like a couple of hundred dollars - maybe a little bit more - per year.  We use SMF (Simple Machines Forum, I think it is) and it's free.  That's a good reason to keep using it - until I get some continuing support from a number of Forum members.

I would need to register and spend some time on that forum to see what I think and if it would make changing worthwhile to the majority of Forum members here on landracing.com.  But thanks very much for the comment.  I'll pass it along to Bob Clancy to get some of his input, too.

Slim, trust me when I say that Ryan has hot-rodded that code beyond what most web designers can even comprehend. This format is fine for how we use it.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #423 on: June 18, 2014, 05:14:04 PM »
You can't say I'm a quitter. This should be a picture of the inside of the spacer. i wanted to let water flow through it and mostly reduce the mass to hopefully make welding it easier and heat expansion more like the head it's welded to. No holes where the head bolts go.----Hooray. I did it right. It's posted.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:15:42 PM by RichFox »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #424 on: June 18, 2014, 05:31:30 PM »
Nice work Rich! (both milling and posting)  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #425 on: June 18, 2014, 07:06:18 PM »
Thanks Rich   :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #426 on: June 18, 2014, 07:09:55 PM »
Rich, I guess I only have one question.

You clearly have first rate machining skills.

And while I like what you're doing here, I'm thinking you might just be better off building your own head out of a billet.

Have you ever given that any thought?

Cheers!

:cheers:

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #427 on: June 18, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
I would have been perfectly happy just converting the motor back to a flathead or giving up entirely. Zenon showed up with this aluminum 318 head and insisted this was a good idea. So what could I do? I made my own flathead for the 32 Plymouth engine. lot of chips.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #428 on: June 18, 2014, 10:40:31 PM »
I somehow think that Zenon didn't find much resistance.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #429 on: June 19, 2014, 12:15:38 AM »
Well, actually, I was thinking you could knock out an 8 port variant based on the Morton and Brett head.  Make it 2 piece.

Maybe what you're doing is easier, and I'm certain it will produce decent power.  But I know that with the head I'm stuck working with, if I had your chops, I'd be starting with a clean sheet of paper and a billet.

I've no doubt you'll make this work - but there are advantages regarding airflow that can be had by building the head to your own specs, rather than settling for the compromises of a head originally set up for a V-8.

There you go - the project after this one!  :cheers:

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jl222

« Reply #430 on: June 19, 2014, 01:59:39 AM »
Rich, I guess I only have one question.

You clearly have first rate machining skills.

And while I like what you're doing here, I'm thinking you might just be better off building your own head out of a billet.

Have you ever given that any thought?

Cheers!

:cheers:
 The trouble with billet is machining water jackets. Rich might be able to run without water jackets on fuel but would have trouble cooling on gas.

Not sure if Rich is running fuel or gas. GOT lazy looking up :-D

JL222

Chris

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #431 on: June 19, 2014, 05:51:09 PM »
I find the new Hamburgler site not so friendly as before.  I've sworn off it.

Here's a "start-from-scratch" (kinda) Model A head from Roy Creel.  I'm sure Rich knows more about it than the very little I do.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline johnneilson

« Reply #432 on: June 19, 2014, 10:19:20 PM »
Does anyone know how long Creel has been working on this?
As Carroll Smith wrote; All Failures are Human in Origin.

Offline Tman

« Reply #433 on: June 20, 2014, 09:17:09 PM »
I find the new Hamburgler site not so friendly as before.  I've sworn off it.

Here's a "start-from-scratch" (kinda) Model A head from Roy Creel.  I'm sure Rich knows more about it than the very little I do.

Stan, the new layout is pretty easy. I would be happy to walk you through any questions you may have :cheers:

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #434 on: June 21, 2014, 09:52:01 PM »
Somewhere I've got the history behind it.  When I get back from vacation I'll see if I can post it.  It was years.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records