Author Topic: V4 Dodge  (Read 238084 times)

Offline Tman

Re: V4 Dodge
« Reply #375 on: February 16, 2014, 11:37:33 AM »
It's a pity the old racing head has been put out to pasture. 

But as cool as that would have been - this looks like it's now going to get very, very interesting.

The nice thing about an Edelbrock head is that you can always get another.

I'm fascinated with this approach - make it go . . . make it so . . .  :cheers:

I believe the old head ended up with some Dodge fools in MT.  :wink:

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2014, 01:09:23 PM »
It's a pity the old racing head has been put out to pasture. 

But as cool as that would have been - this looks like it's now going to get very, very interesting.

The nice thing about an Edelbrock head is that you can always get another.

I'm fascinated with this approach - make it go . . . make it so . . .  :cheers:

I believe the old head ended up with some Dodge fools in MT.  :wink:

Trent, it all comes back to Merle -

Turn me loose, set me free . . .  :wink:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2014, 02:12:29 PM »
The Morton & Brett head has turned out to be a jinks as far as I am concerned. I don't know what is going to become of it.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #378 on: February 19, 2014, 05:15:47 PM »
I am bummed about the Morton & Brett. We had it basically ready to go.

I hope we get the roadster with this engine to the salt. Rich has a lot of trick parts and energy put into the dodge block, I hope the head will top it off right. I think it will be fun to do and fun for everyone to see.

I look forward to posting some pics within the next week or so. Lifters arriving on the 20th, head arriving on the 24th. Rich bought a hilborn fuel injection manifold. I am hoping that by the first weekend of March we will be cutting some edelbrock aluminum🙈🙉🙊🙀😈😯😎

Offline zenndog

« Reply #379 on: March 02, 2014, 03:19:03 PM »
Having trouble posting

out of the box, stripped down, first blood..........

Offline zenndog

« Reply #380 on: March 02, 2014, 03:23:02 PM »
mocked up for research and more importantly, motivation!

Offline zenndog

« Reply #381 on: March 03, 2014, 02:45:45 PM »
You guys are a tough crowd this week.

Rich plans to make some brackets to hold the head during the first round of butcheri.....uhm.......improvements.

Then next weekend we will hopefully perform some horribl.....I mean wonderful modifications with a series of large drills and a 1" endmill. Should be interesting.

Offline lsrjunkie

« Reply #382 on: March 03, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me to what extent Chevrolet parts can be modified to suit a particular purpose. Looking forward to see how this pans out. Best of luck!
Maybe there is no Heaven. Or maybe this is all pure gibberish. The product of a demented hill billy who has found a way to live out where the winds blow. To sleep late, have fun, drink whiskey, and drive fast on empty streets with nothing in mind except falling in love or getting arrested.    H.S. Thompson

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #383 on: March 03, 2014, 03:02:48 PM »
Zenn, that's a really interesting looking project and being brand new aluminum it will be much easier to repair and modify than the old, worn out, cast iron item that you guys were playing with before. Have fun with it. We'll keep an eye on the progress.  :-D :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline zenndog

« Reply #384 on: March 03, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »
Thanks Peter!

Junkie- It is actually a Chrysler head. We looked into a number of heads based on the spacing between the 1&2/3&4 cylinders and this was the least terrible option. After the next step you will see what I mean so I won't even try to explain. Before the SCTA banned using plates to adapt heads a cast iron head from a Lincoln Y block would have been my choice but.......

The aluminum head allows us to have welding done to the head so I started looking at heads that had the correct cylinder spacing, valve pattern, and were either aluminum or had aftermarket aluminum heads available.

Rich picked up a cast iron head for free and we checked it out, then we contacted everyone involved with the Morton & Brett to make sure it was not going to suddenly out of the blue be ready.

Sadly this is a permanent change of course, it is very unlikely that the Morton and Brett will ever run on this block, even if it gets repaired.....but who knows?

Rich has special pistons for the M & B. When we disassemble the engine he is going to see if the entire top of the piston is solid, if it is his plan is to face them off and use them as opposed to buying new ones.

Actually, I am jumping ahead. Rich is making the brackets for the head this week but we can't drill anything until we disassemble the dodge so we can look from below through the cylinder bores and confirm that the way we have placed the head is truly where we want it to be.

The next step is to do some organizing in Rich's shop, then pull the Dodge out of the roadster.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #385 on: March 03, 2014, 07:15:26 PM »
I'm guessing that with the distributor running up front, the spacing between 2 and 3 is less than a Ford.  And easier to adapt to a late-model head -- right?  Are some of the head chambers need to be offset -- or do you plan to chop it between 2 and 3?

(Hopefully don't make me appear too naive with your explanations -- thanx.)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:21:39 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline zenndog

« Reply #386 on: March 03, 2014, 07:38:39 PM »
No, we need to cut the head in half and add a spacer, between 2 & 3. I am not sure if it is less than ford, I looked at heads that had the proper spacing for the equally spaced cylinders. I am sure the same thing could be done on a ford banger.

Stan, bravo if you are naive, who wants to think about this stuff????

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #387 on: March 03, 2014, 08:00:29 PM »
Stan, bravo if you are naive, who wants to think about this stuff????

What would be naïve would be to think you two aren't going to pull it off!  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #388 on: March 03, 2014, 08:29:56 PM »
Actually the bore spacing on #2-3 is 4.750. Which is greater than a Ford, I believe.  RF

Offline zenndog

« Reply #389 on: March 03, 2014, 08:53:01 PM »
The whole block is larger than a ford, makes sense the 2/3 spacing is