Author Topic: V4 Dodge  (Read 238194 times)

Offline zenndog

Re: V4 Dodge
« Reply #330 on: September 08, 2012, 08:27:56 PM »
The head is not back yet from the welder

Today I stopped in at Rich's and we installed a "crash switch" in the line to the primer pump. I pulled it off a Taurus at Pick & Pull for $5.

I did some work on the Stude head which is in the tech section.

We looked at the roadster and chatted.

Not much to do till the head gets back.

Rich is trying to find somewhere closer than El Mirage to do a push start.....any suggestions? The street is not an option. Rich is thinking about a drag strip out towards Sacramento.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #331 on: September 12, 2012, 10:31:07 AM »
Head is back from the welder, in a couple of weeks we will bolt it back on unless Rich decides to do it sooner. Then we will find out if the repair worked.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #332 on: September 13, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »
Got the head back this afternoon. Much welding was required to patch the port floor that had rotted out. I don't think I'll blend it as I really don't want to take it back. I give up. Either it's to big or to small. How I hate these things, but it now works.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:32:53 PM by RichFox »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #333 on: September 13, 2012, 06:10:30 PM »
Nice repair!  :-D :-D :-D

If there's any seepage just throw in a bottle of Bars Leaks. Your weldor did good.

Pete

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #334 on: September 13, 2012, 07:33:09 PM »
I think it's good that this is on the end port, rather than in the shared port, and I agree, given that you can't see what's going on in the water jacket, I'd skip trying to blend it in, and just leave it - at least for the time being.

Prove the concept, and then start tweaking.

Chin up, Rich - you've got a lot of very interested folks out here who know you can make this go.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #335 on: September 13, 2012, 08:25:07 PM »
Got the head back this afternoon. Much welding was required to patch the port floor that had rotted out. I don't think I'll blend it as I really don't want to take it back. I give up. Either it's to big or to small. How I hate these things, but it now works.

Rich,

The welder should be able to give you an idea on how much you can blend the port. What did he have to say about the weld? Did he grind out everything and put a plate in? Or?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #336 on: September 13, 2012, 09:33:06 PM »
He ground out that which was to thin to weld to and then just started laying beads. He is kind of hoping I just run it as is. PS What I gave up on was trying to post the picture. But I tried and tried again and finally persevered.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 09:34:58 PM by RichFox »

Offline zenndog

« Reply #337 on: October 25, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »
Quick update

Rich bolted the head back on.....when I showed up on Sat we hooked up the water lines and to our great dismay the head still leaked! Rich is going to take it back to the welder.

Despite the bad news, we located a spot where the drive shaft was rubbing a little and eliminated the rub.

We also checked the oil screen but it looked good at the pickup and it looked good.

Waiting for the head again.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #338 on: October 25, 2012, 05:22:52 PM »
Depending on the amount of leakage you may want to try a bottle of Bars Leaks. I've found the pelletized stuff works really well. It's sometimes rather difficult to get old, dirty, brittle castings to seal up completely.

Pete

Offline RichFox

« Reply #339 on: October 25, 2012, 05:46:59 PM »
I have used Bars Leak in the past and find it works very well. In this instance the rust out of the port floor is pretty extensive. more than what I would use Bars Leak for. And Bob, who owns the head paid for a weld repair which I believe he should get. Or his money back. We have lots of time right now until WoS 2013. So I will try again to have the head repaired. i did put together some parts so that the welder can use water to check his weld rather than air, which didn't seem effective.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #340 on: November 07, 2012, 11:23:10 AM »
Quick update;

Rich picked up the head last I heard from him, still leaking.

Welder gave up, not sure what is next.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #341 on: November 07, 2012, 11:56:28 AM »
I'm thinking you may need to bore out the old port, weld in a sleeve and recontour.  Zenn, how far down the port is the leak?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline zenndog

« Reply #342 on: November 11, 2012, 12:13:50 AM »
Rich is looking into some high temp epoxy that Buddy posted a link for on the Stude head thread. If that doesn't seem like it will work then he is thinking about powdered metal welding. We will see.

Offline V4F STR 60

• Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2013, 10:16:10 AM »
Update ~ Rich contacted us to help him work out the head issues.  We're going to pick the head up in a few weeks and take it back to Montana to have it pressure tested and magnafuxed.

We've unfortunately turned into the resident experts on cracked vintage Dodge banger parts  :-o

If all goes well, the Fast Four Special crew will have Rich's car in our pits next August to crew for Zenon, and finally get the Morton and Brett on the salt!

Cross your fingers!

Pedro
Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
1928 Dodge Brothers Vintage Flathead Four Cylinder Roadster & Lakester

Landspeed Records

Bonneville

2009 V4F/STR 115.681
2009 V4F/GR 116.439
2009 V4F/FR 117.597
2010 V4F/BSTR 127.352
2012 V4F/BFMR 130.843
2013 V4F/BGMR 142.956
2013 V4F/BFMR 143.254
2013 V4F/BGR 138.395
2013 V4F/BFR 138.984

El Mirage

2016 V4F/BGMR 140.961

www.facebook.com/MontanaDodgeBoys
www.fastfourspecial.com

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #344 on: January 12, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »
 Nice, Pedro. You have the resources and experience. Good of you to Volunteer for the task. Im looking forward to more progress, and to hear it run as well.... :-D