Author Topic: V4 Dodge  (Read 237319 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: V4 Dodge
« Reply #270 on: May 05, 2012, 06:55:10 PM »
Zenon took the day off so I had to take the pictures. Sorry about that. Today I made a new remote oil pump to fill the filter and lines with oil. I made another one some time ago, but a fellow roadster racer liked it enough that now I needed a new one. It's an old 460 Ford oil pump with a -10 fitting welded to an angle and bolted to the pump. A pice laying around got bolted to the angle and became the support I clamped to my chair. Some hex I had became the drive and my 3/8 drill motor running in reverse will pump 4 quarts faster than reading about it. And it was free. The conector hose timed out on the slelf so it was also free but new. Now about the tappet cover leak. Didn't think there would be much oil there.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #271 on: May 06, 2012, 10:48:39 AM »
In case anyone cares, I used a Ford oil pump because I have them left over from other projects. And the hex drive is easy to work with. A 302 pump would have worked just as well. But the 302 has a 1/4 hex drive and the 460 has 5/16. I have a bunch of 5/16 hex stock, so that made the 460 pump my choice

Offline Tman

« Reply #272 on: May 06, 2012, 11:52:56 AM »
Neat idea for a pre-oiler.

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #273 on: May 06, 2012, 09:00:13 PM »
Rich-I can`t see where you are routing that oil line. Does it go into the block through the fitting/plate assembly between the cylinders? Where do you have your pressure gauge connected?

Offline RichFox

« Reply #274 on: May 06, 2012, 09:28:25 PM »
The line from the preoiler goes to the remote filter mounted on the firewall. Then to the oil manifold  on the right side of the block. And to the mains from there.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #275 on: May 06, 2012, 11:11:20 PM »
That's a cool idea! See you next week!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline zenndog

« Reply #276 on: May 12, 2012, 11:17:33 PM »
Here are some pics from today

Rich got the headers back

We finished the wiring

Then we were chasing oil leaks

We still have a leak from the valve cover, we decided that the valve cover is not flat and ls not seating in the spot it needs to the most.

Rich is going to get the valve cover resurfaced and I am going to make a new gasket and we will clean thoroughly and re-seal.

I also spent some time sitting in the car with my helmet on and testing my head and neck restraint.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 11:20:00 PM by zenndog »

Offline Freud

« Reply #277 on: May 12, 2012, 11:34:59 PM »
Nice fotos.

Thanks.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RichFox

« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2012, 03:49:14 PM »
Extra under hood room for Dodge bros. Thanks to John Buddenbaum for the aluminum work.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #279 on: May 14, 2012, 03:56:59 PM »
Rich, looks great will you be at the lakes this week end?
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RichFox

« Reply #280 on: May 14, 2012, 04:06:26 PM »
No. Zenor is being a family man this week end and I have been a little down. We will make the June meet.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #281 on: May 16, 2012, 07:57:10 AM »
Looks good Rich!

Sorry we're going to miss you this weekend.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline zenndog

« Reply #282 on: June 10, 2012, 02:26:42 PM »
Here is the car loaded on the trailer at 4:30am, 6/9/2012, ready to head out to El Mirage to get the car inspected.

Here we are 5-6 hours later at tech inspection

I got my head and neck restraint checked out and the inspection sticker for my helmet.

We need to change some of the foam on the rear roll bar to allow my head to sit further back and Rich is going to look into question the inspectors had about the fire system nozzle in the engine compartment. I will need to do the bailout still after the foam is replaced but everything looks good!

We didn't stay long before heading back up to the bay area
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 02:29:42 PM by zenndog »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #283 on: June 10, 2012, 03:41:04 PM »
Rich, that's a good way to be sure when you take it back in July. At least you know the changes are simple.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline zenndog

« Reply #284 on: June 30, 2012, 12:43:00 AM »
Roll Cage Modifications

We need to limit side to side motion around the drivers head. Rich, as he often does, had a plan, we set in to make Rich's idea a reality.

Hammers and grinders and Pliers....Oh My!

The tubes are there to space the side pieces the way we want them^^^^^

I prepped the roll cage by removing paint from the areas we want to weld.

Here is the right side

Left side

Rich working on two "spacers" that will be welded in the center. His hole saw was being difficult

Ready to weld

Tacked in place, with padding taped in

Version 1, spacing right, driver can get his B@tt out without his pants getting caught on the foam and steel. And that being with the cockpit cover off.

Version 2, Cock pit cover on, front lower corner of "padding mounts" trimmed, Driver can now get in and out. Rich plans to run this by tech to make sure it looks good because next time it will be inspected will probably be WOS

Detail

All for this week
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:45:32 AM by zenndog »