Author Topic: V4 Dodge  (Read 238141 times)

Offline RichFox

Re: V4 Dodge
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2012, 07:57:48 PM »
I couldn't tell from the photos where the cam was located (probably in the same place it has been for years).  Foolish of me to offer the suggestion.  I'm well aware that you know more about that engine (and all engines) than I.  Just thought I'd offer it up for discussion.
I welcome any and all sugestions. But in this case i have to much time in that cover to even think about a new one. We will find a place to put the fuel pump. It's funny that the Dodge is a shorter stroke engine than the Plymouth was. But has such a wide crankcase. I don't remember the Ply being this much trouble. But in a few years maybe I wont remember this either.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »
lol  :cheers:  :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #197 on: February 10, 2012, 04:19:56 PM »
I'm with Anvil- if you can't run it off of the rear of the oil pump, the front looks good.

I'm not even sure you would need the plate and bearing setup-just hold the fuel pump pulley tight against the existing oil pump pulley.

I know you Rich- you're probably machining the parts to mount it, while we're reading this!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline RichFox

« Reply #198 on: February 10, 2012, 06:45:15 PM »
Putting the pully in front of the oil pump pully was the plan. Mounting the pump drive and it's pully off of the back of the oil pump was also the thought. But I forgot about how much room the hose takes up. Time to find a new place for the fuel pump. Plenty of shafts running around on this thing at both crank and cam speeds. We will see about it in the morning.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #199 on: February 13, 2012, 07:36:54 PM »
Some pics.

Rich mounted the oil pump but the lower fitting was hitting the pan rail

So off it came to mill a new set of slots that would raise the pump slightly and allow the fitting to clear the rail. These are just a series of pics. For the most part I just tried to stay out of Rich's way.

Rich made some screws with points on them, we marked the plate on the car but then Rich wanted to make sure we had the right marks and them make them nice a deep

Center drill

Milling the slots

The first new slot milled, the pencil marks are where the others will be

Pump remounted

We looked at the fuel pump for a while. I think Rich decided where he wanted it but it was like a presidential election, what is the least bad choice. He wanted to think about it during the week and probably work without me looking over his shoulder. I imagine that if he gets it mounted he will post a pic.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #200 on: February 16, 2012, 07:08:48 PM »
This is pretty much where the pumps go. Minus the Vice Grips and with a stand off to brace the pump. Higher than I wish they were. But they go where there is room.

Offline Tman

« Reply #201 on: February 16, 2012, 07:11:41 PM »
Looks good Rich, but don't the vice grips have better clamping power if you flip them around?! :-D

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #202 on: February 16, 2012, 07:28:44 PM »
It works, and it looks good!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #203 on: February 16, 2012, 08:02:27 PM »
I've always been a "worst case scenrio" kind of a guy, so to me, this makes sense - if the oil pump belt breaks, everything shuts down, if the fuel pump belt lets go, you've still got oiling.

Seems there's never a perfect solution, but this is a damned good one.   :cheers:

Any other clearance issues to deal with on the front?

See you at WOS.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline RichFox

« Reply #204 on: February 16, 2012, 08:16:18 PM »
Looks good Rich, but don't the vice grips have better clamping power if you flip them around?! :-D
I'm thinking of going with a C clamp when it's done.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #205 on: February 16, 2012, 08:19:37 PM »
I've always been a "worst case scenrio" kind of a guy, so to me, this makes sense - if the oil pump belt breaks, everything shuts down, if the fuel pump belt lets go, you've still got oiling.

Seems there's never a perfect solution, but this is a damned good one.   :cheers:

Any other clearance issues to deal with on the front?

See you at WOS.
This is about it for the front of the engine. I still may mount an altinator. But it will be further back.

Offline zenndog

« Reply #206 on: February 16, 2012, 10:24:46 PM »
Looks good! Whats next?

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #207 on: February 17, 2012, 09:34:59 AM »
Sorry I can resist, I like the BFH method. Making good progress fellas.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline RichFox

« Reply #208 on: February 17, 2012, 10:28:38 AM »
Looks good! Whats next?
I'm sending the C clamp out for chrome

Offline Tman

« Reply #209 on: February 17, 2012, 10:30:44 AM »
Looks good! Whats next?
I'm sending the C clamp out for chrome

Trivalent or hexavalent? :-D