Author Topic: Land Speed Racing in FLORIDA! 1 mile Sign ups filled, waiting list started  (Read 14243 times)

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
Rumors of this popped upon a board I frequent about a week ago. Here's a link to a site that was just posted. I don't know anything more than whats on the website but will investigate further. It's close to me so if it looks safe I'll give it a try.   http://www.milemarker-1.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=frontpage&Itemid=1

EDIT Here's the sign up list for the event   http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkKM9xgrUx7UdEhBam5Xek1ERlBudE5CWHR2Uld3RGc&hl=en
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:31:56 AM by NOT A TA »

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
Re: Land Speed Racing in FLORIDA! 1 mile Dade Collier airport in south FL
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 11:39:20 AM »
Well I just spoke to "Max" who said it going to be something like Maxton or the Texas Mile. A measured mile before the traps and about a mile to slow down. When questioned about safety he said there'll be a rescue vehicle there. When asked about vehicle safety tech inspections he said "well if you're gonna go over 180 or 200 you'll probably have to wear a fire suit or something and we'll want to talk to the person first"

I think maybe someone should talk to these guys to avoid the potential for a disaster.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 02:17:30 PM »

Here is the registration information. :-D

MileMarker-1 Vehicle Inspection Sheet                     Assigned number __________________

Vehicle Year         ________________

Vehicle Make        ________________

Vehicle Model       ________________

Modifications, check all those that apply to your vehicle.

Nitrous                      ( )
Turbo                        ( )
Supercharger             ( )
Exhaust upgrade         ( )

Type of tires: Slicks, Drag Radials or High performance street tires [_________________]

The following is not permitted.
-No fluid leaks
-No bald tires; tires must be above tread bars.
-No loose items inside the vehicle.
-No cracked thru rotors
-No warped rotors
-No dirty brake fluid

By signing below, you accept the above terms and have performed all necessary maintenance to have a safe vehicle to participate at the MileMarker-1 event.

Print Name _____________________________

Signature   _____________________________

Date          _____________________________

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »
When I'd called to find out about the event Max said he'd find out more about the safety requirements and get back in touch.

Today I got a message from Max on my cell saying "Any production vehicle. No funny cars, drag cars, or motorcycles." " If you or your buddys can do 200, 220 thats fine" "if the vehicle has special requirements you should call ahead of time".

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 05:27:36 AM »
The facility looks good on paper but the organizers appear a bit naive.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »
They used to call that hiway 27 for years didnt they ? :-D

Offline BAD-JAG

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »
I have just returned from an uneventful trip to the Dade-Collier airport located in Ochoppee, Fl.  I had hoped to see some sort of a speed event.  However, all I saw was 2 crows, 1 hawk (very cool), a bunch of mosquitos and a not so pleasent caretaker.

I had gone to the website as shown on this blog (marker-1.com) and read on the home page that an event was planned for October 11th 2009.  I also noticed that on their "Events Calender" there was an event shown on Tuesday, August 11th 2009 which is TODAY.  Being the optimistic person that I am, and since I could not figure out any way to contact the organizers to confirm anything, I made the trip.

I should have stayed at home and worked on the car.

Offline BAD-JAG

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 12:18:52 PM »
OOOOPS!  The website I refered to above was incorrect.  It should be: milemarker-1.com.  Sorry. 

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 12:35:05 AM »
As far as I know there was only the 1 upcoming event planned. Here's the sign up list for the event so far. I'm the oldest vehicle signed up so far with my 70, the next oldest is an 88 turbo carrera. Appears to be mostly newer vehicles with performance enhancers.    http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkKM9xgrUx7UdEhBam5Xek1ERlBudE5CWHR2Uld3RGc&hl=en

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
Sign ups are filled up. There is a waiting list. GM High Tech Performance is signed up with a couple cars and rumored to be doing a story for the magazine about the event. I emailed back and forth with the organizer of the event about safety requirements but they let their minimal requirements stand. Also they did allow motorcycles to sign up as you'll notice on the sign up sheet. I hope there's no disasters out there and no one gets hurt.

Sign up list http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AkKM9xgrUx7UdEhBam5Xek1ERlBudE5CWHR2Uld3RGc&hl=en

Offline Johntsi

Re: Land Speed Racing in FLORIDA! 1 mile Sign ups filled, waiting list started
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 12:00:04 PM »
The area looks good but the lack of safety requirements seem a bit scary.  Like Texas, I hope it doesn't take someone losing thier life before they start taking safety equipment seriously.

Offline stratman59

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2009, 02:19:06 PM »
AMEN  to that.

Offline NOT A TA

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 08:19:19 PM »
Anyone coming out to watch? I'll be running my 70 Firebird.

Offline BAD-JAG

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 12:11:17 PM »
I would not miss it for the world.  139 cars pre-entered and still counting, what could go wrong?

Offline joea

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 12:16:28 PM »
............"""what could go wrong?"""............

......that statement..........speaks for itself..............