Author Topic: First time on the dyno  (Read 6798 times)

Offline willieworld

Re: First time on the dyno
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 12:05:53 PM »
wobbly  insted of running 1/2 throttle to the 2 1/2  you would go faster if you ran balls-out to the 2 ----you are timed from the 1 to the 2 and again from the 2 to the 3 not at the finish line---your speed is the average time between the 1 and 2 or the 2 and 3 --run balls out to the 2 then turn off if you want to save your motor and you will run faster   willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 03:59:57 PM »
wobbly  insted of running 1/2 throttle to the 2 1/2  you would go faster if you ran balls-out to the 2 ----you are timed from the 1 to the 2 and again from the 2 to the 3 not at the finish line---your speed is the average time between the 1 and 2 or the 2 and 3 --run balls out to the 2 then turn off if you want to save your motor and you will run faster   willie buchta

Actually all runs are the speed of the timed mile so your best bet is either be at full speed at the 1 for courses that have timing from the 1 -2 (speedweek short courses only)  or the 2 and run full speed for the entire mile.  You will get the best time if you only gain about 1 mph in the mile.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2009, 02:38:54 AM »
Math isn't my strong subject and I was in error when I wrote my earlier post.  There is a mile in the middle of the 5 mile course that has lots of flags at the beginning and lots of flags at the end.  It is right in front of the pits at the BUB trials.  I try to go as fast as I can through that mile.  I drew the course out on a piece of paper this evening and remembered what I did.  I was in top gear at half throttle at Mile 1.  I cruised to Mile 1.5, then I got down and pulled the throttle all the way back.  I was going as fast as I can at Mile 2 and I held it till just past Mile 3.  Then I gradually slowed down.

Do they time me between Mile 1 and 2 at BUB?  They only print one average speed on my timing slip.

Buzz, the Hinckley Bonneville has a chain between the crank sprocket and an idler gear between and below the camshafts.  The idler gear drives gears on both cams.  It's a unique arrangement.  Parts for this thing cost a lot of $$.  I am hesitant try anything inside the engine unless a better engine builder than myself has done it and knows that it will work.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 02:15:43 AM »
The last few weeks I have been fixated with changing my cam timing and running various combinations intake and exhaust cam timing on the dyno to see which one makes the best power.  I got out all of my old tuning books and did some internet research.  I went to Borders bookstore, bought lattes, and read some of the tuning books they have.  What I learned might be of interest to others.

Cam timing, intake tract characteristics, and exhaust characteristics are all related to each other.  To evaluate cam timing, I need to do some serious dyno work to tune my intake and exhaust to work with the cam I have.  That will be my baseline for torque and horsepower.  Next, I change the cam timing and retune the intake and exhaust to work with that combination.  Only after all of that work, I will be able to make a comparison.  This dyno time is way beyond the budget of this team.  No oil well in my backyard.  Now it is time for Walrus Plan B.

Plan B is to buy cams for racing from someone who knows what they are doing.  I will ask them for timing numbers so I can degree the cams in to their settings on my bike.  I will ask them for info about their intake and exhaust, such as velocity stack length, exhaust header diameter, length, cone dimensions, etc.  I will duplicate their setup.  Then, I will use the dyno to set the ignition advance and fuel mixture.  Lastly, I will work on riding the beast.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 11:21:41 AM »
WW, at the Bub you only get timing through the marked mile, no quarter speeds or multiple mile speeds.  But it sounds like you did it right.... max speed for the timed mile.  :-D
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 11:38:42 AM by Stainless1 »
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline willieworld

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 11:34:13 AM »
didnt know you were talking about BUB                                        willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta