Author Topic: Loring results  (Read 43572 times)

Offline White Monster

Re: Loring results
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2009, 10:05:18 AM »
Some interesting facts from the Run Log ...

- Course Record was 260.99 MPH on a bike
- there were 392 total runs
- 124 runs by cars
- 268 runs by motorcycles
- fastest car 216.596 MPH
- fastest motorcycle 260.99 MPH
- slowest car 30.474 MPH
- slowest motorcycle 51.491 MPH
- 6 DNF's (2 cars & 4 bikes)
- first run was at 11:49 am Saturday
- last run was 5:16 pm Sunday

I wish the results at least also listed the engine class / vehicle category and maybe the team name & driver / rider name.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:31:42 AM by White Monster »
Be safe, go fast, have FUN !

Offline tedgram

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »
  I'm sure that will be added when there is time.

Some interesting facts from the Run Log ...

- Course Record was 260.99 MPH on a bike
- there were 392 total runs
- 124 runs by cars
- 268 runs by motorcycles
- fastest car 181.279 MPH
- fastest motorcycle 260.99 MPH
- slowest car 30.474 MPH
- slowest motorcycle 51.491 MPH
- 6 DNF's (2 cars & 4 bikes)
- first run was at 11:49 am Saturday
- last run was 5:16 pm Sunday

I wish the results at least also listed the engine class / vehicle category and maybe the team name & driver / rider name.

Offline Nosgsx1300

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2009, 11:19:36 AM »
there was a eagle talon AWD that got booted for going 208 with a 175 tech speed limit

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2009, 11:23:27 AM »
Cool!  Thanks.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline t russell

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2009, 12:27:25 PM »
there were a few cars in the 200+ mph.
55 roadster 215.956
the run log could be better.
With that being said they  done 1 heck of a job 1st time out :cheers:
terry
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 12:29:28 PM by t russell »

Offline sabat

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2009, 02:49:22 PM »
What a fantastic meet, everyone went crazy fast, no real problems, no one hurt.

Congrats to everyone, great to see / meet everybody, looking forward to doing it again next year.

Good luck to all those going to Bonneville, wish I could be there.

Dean

(Donna is badass!!!)

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2009, 06:06:23 PM »
I got a chance to review the run logs ... 390 total runs with 109 runs over 200 mph ... from the timing stand it appears that most of the 200 runs the bikes were in high gear at about the .8 mile mark and then they used the high end to get the most out of the machines ... Joe

Offline Bob Wanner

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2009, 10:19:33 PM »
"there was a eagle talon AWD that got booted for going 208 with a 175 tech speed limit"

Baseless rumor, never happened, don't give credit to unsubstantial info.
You have any proof this happened ? Talon guy don't either.
More later, still tired guy Bob W...

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #83 on: August 06, 2009, 12:39:33 AM »
I am curious how the Corvette did that was built specifically for 200 at this event.  Last I saw both drivers had made their 175 passes at 179 mph and were proceeding according to plan.  I am not sure how I feel about instant 200's but I reckun they did their homework and earned their way to a 200 mph car sale since that was their mission.  I thought the event was incredible, and I have been in attendance at some significant motorsports events in the past; however, I have to admit that quick 200 builds and the amazing Scott Guthrie Team/Machine achievements leave me just a little worried about the prospects for the little guys, and gals, on tight budgets in the sport.  I don't have much thoughts about a 200 club hat at this point but it is looking like it will be extremely difficult, which maybe it should be, to do on your own in the future if semi-pro teams become the norm.  No big surprise though since this has happened in just about every other motorsport.

I also paused a moment at the hotel Saturday night when Scott made his 200 mph club presentation.  It was very well done, and well deserved by those who got it done, but I had to think about the racers who were working hard in classes which will never see a 200 run and wondered when the recognition for their efforts may appear.   I don't want to see the only 'vocal' part of our sport focused on getting 200 mph club hats.  It may be OK for all the racers but I am not sure the fans present will understand.  I was happy to see a presentation of who made it in the 200 mph club but maybe we should try to include a bit in the presentation on the fastest VW, 636, vintage BSA, Studebaker and AMC next time around.   

A few other notes.  While I did enjoy the banter back and forth during the Texas vs Guthrie battle, I was more impressed by Bill W's steadfast attitude following what may have been a season ending equipment failure.  I know that puff of white smoke at the end of his run made me, and others, hesitate for a moment.  I also have very nice images in my mind of a very happy Mustang owner and Phil talking about his 200 run.  I may not have cared for the Eclipse racer's feelings about our rules but he sure wasn't bs'ing when it came to performance.  On the other hand, I won't forget the enthusiasm of a certain Taurus/Bike racer that appreciates our rules but just couldn't resist the lure of what Loring was offering him.  I do know it will be very interesting to see how this event ranks after the Bonneville season winds down and we start to close the season at Maxton,

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #84 on: August 06, 2009, 01:33:05 AM »
Milton,

The allure of LSR catches many and a few stay hooked, some people have the fastest @#$ ever with a recorded speed of %$# mph however this is called Land SPEED Racing.  Often I see where a certain racer has run a phenomenal time in her/his class and only get a small mention online or in print.

it is no different when you watch NHRA drag racing and they focus mainly on Top fuel Dragsters, the floppers (Funny Cars) PS (Pro Stock) and very limited coverage of PSB (Pro Stock Bike)

Speed/action sells.

I have been at Bonneville watching a record run of 50 miles per hour screaming inside for the racer to "hurry up" when in fact her/his machine may have only run 35-45 mph stock at sea level and they have actually worked harder to make their vehicle pick up 10-15 mph than we spent to make our 185 mph vehicle run over 250 mph..

The SLOWer vehicles will never get the same print/media exposure or even racer interest because it is about going FAST.

Now a 636 running 190mph should get a ton of news and interest however it is up to the interested parties to make that happen.

Their will always be a team or person that is willing to spend 25K for a proven machine rather than build one of their own with unknown results however just like in life someone always has more money than you.. :wink:

Stay thirsty my friends.. :cheers:

John
I edited this because it needed it, I did not change the post other than proofing it.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 01:57:49 PM by John Noonan »

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #85 on: August 06, 2009, 07:29:17 AM »
I run a small motor Harley Davidson (1000cc). It was specifically built for land speed racing. The bike performs well and I hold a number of records in different venues. It will never go 200 and therefore, I can never make the 2- clubs. The accomplishment of running faster on my own records is very satisfying. There area a lot more racers enjoying themselves without the prospect of the 2- club then there are in the clubs. Each of us pursues what we value. Loring was an opportunity with open records to get the hat even if you dint hold onto the record for long. I am happy for everyone that accomplished it. It doesn't diminish the achievement in the least. I have to admit that I agree with John Noonan.

Joe

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #86 on: August 06, 2009, 07:49:42 AM »
I agree and understand all the points.  Just a bit of alcohol induced rambling after our post-Loring / pre-Bonneville get together last night.   :cheers:

I suppose when Scott called all the LTA folks to the room I was expecting something to be said for all the racers present at the meet versus a 200 club presentation.  Definitely was glad that took place but it left me wondering about the other guys.

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #87 on: August 06, 2009, 08:39:23 AM »
Milton you make a valid point, but to me it's all about the accomplishment.  I know all of the hours it has taken to get that ZX-6 to run like it has this year.  I know that 2 years ago I was struggling to even think about setting a record.  It has taken 3 things for the bike to get to where it is.  Money, time and more money.  My point is I have raced bikes in some form for 40 years now.  I've lived the ups and downs of it.  This is my 3rd year of Land Speed and I love it.  I do it foe one reason and one reason only.  The chase.  There is speed out there and I want to find it.  That 636 normally aspirated has gone as far as it will go, but I'll still be on it looking for just a fraction here and there.  Satisfaction and accomplishment are the words.  I know what I'm trying to do, and what I've done.  190.118, I'll be smiling for the rest of the year.  Oh and BTW, it seems like the Australian press is intrested. 

Rachael and Phil, Congrats to you both.  I am so proud to have seen your passes to be the 1st into the 2 club.  Dean, just amazing what you did on the 10.  You have put together some machine.  Joe, you deserve so much thanks as you spent all of the weekend working so we could run.  I only know of you making 1 pass.  Thank you so much my friend.

It's not how fast you go.  If 200 is the goal, you buy and build for it.  Whatever the goal is, it's not even the success of accomplishing it.  As soon as you reach your goal there is a new one set.  It is about the journey to get there. 

See you all in Maxton in September.  The 636 and the 250 have a goal set for that weekend.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline bigdog4406

• New folks
« Reply #88 on: August 06, 2009, 09:23:07 AM »
hi everyone, i thought the main point to " lsr " was not how fast you go, but much FUN you can have, and how many " friends " you can make,, speed is just extra. we are not fast, but sure have had a lot of fun !! and made many more " FRIENDS " . thanks to everyone for that.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2009, 11:20:31 AM »
Roadracer --

Congratulations on a fantastic accomplishment!

(And if you want a bigger number -- just convert to kilometers.)

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records