Author Topic: Deb & Todd's Nawthern adventures (a blog)  (Read 18706 times)

Offline Matt Beil

• New folks
Re: Deb & Todd's Nawthern adventures (a blog)
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 07:52:52 PM »
Try I-94 through North Dakota.  It's pretty much "tie the steering wheel in place and take a 391-mile nap".
LOL, wait until you hit Maine.  I95 is not much better.  300 miles of pine trees!  Looking forward to meeting every one on Friday.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 08:30:29 PM »
Whitehendrix will be riding up with me and Ali.  We rented a trailer and switched to my cherokee to do it.   :-)

Of course, I will now be arriving at the Caribou with two homeless people.  I hope they figure out someplace to sleep because my room has one full size bed and I never sleep well when sharing small rooms. Any noise will wake me up and eventually I will snore and make someone wake me up and start the cycle all over again.  After driving thru the night tomorrow I will seriously be looking forward to sleep.  I apologize in advance for how nasty I will be saturday and beyond!   :|

I appreciate the sense of adventure and enthusiasm that leads to spending your last nickel to make it to a special event but I got tired of sleeping on floors and cold tents years ago.  Hopefully it will be worth it for these guys will still have a good time.  Maybe they will get lucky and I can swap my room for a double but the hotel has a waiting list so that is doubtful.  From what I remember none of the other housing options are near the Caribou.

Offline Freud

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 11:28:02 PM »
I hope they get a great nights sleep after a day in congestion.

Wanna know what kind of people they are? I'm going to tell you whatever was you answer.

I went to Hume's place to do several fotos and get my soul refreshed.

When I returned home there was a envelope from Deb and Todd. I was a congratulatory card for our 55th wedding anniversary.

I have only corresponded with them since Deb smashed the cone. I first met them on the Salt last year.

With that short acquaintance, they still remembered some time that I had mentioned our anniversary date.

People with this dedication are few and far between and they have just joined the group that includes Cris and Ed Shearer.

It's an elite group and I am blessed to know them.  It would be a privilege to be their parents.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2009, 08:27:37 AM »
Awww Freud. You are too sweet! And what an honor to be included on that list! You're such a nice and giving person that you make it easy for us to want to remember! 55 years is a LONG time! I'm not sure if I'll be able to stand Todd for that long!  :-D {kidding}

Ok, back to business. We spent the night in Seabrook, NH. The hotel is nice although a tad pricey cause it's so close to the beach. We tried another hotel which looked like a college dorm when we drove through so we opted to pay a few extra bucks for a little peace & quiet. Dinner at Applebee's was tasty when we finally were able to eat it after having it recooked twice and the potatoes 3 times!! auughh. It really ruined the delusion of home cooked when they kept serving the garlic mashed potatoes cold and kept reheating them in the microwave. Well the clam chowder was good & hot anyway.

Well let me shut this thing down so we can grab some breakfast & hit the road.

Debbie
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline relaxedfit

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2009, 12:37:36 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the rest of us along. By hte way, I thought it was spelled Nawthun---didn't think they had "R's" up there.
Ken Presson
Having nothing to do in shutdown is our goal

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2009, 01:21:07 PM »
Yeah Todd said the same thing but I'm still a Joisey gal going nawth!

Moose crossing signs:

3 hours to go. Just got a text that Larry, Moe & Curly from TFA made it to the track from Texas!

Debbie

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2009, 02:36:25 PM »
OK I give up who is the stooges? Gary, Karl,&?

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline gofast

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 10:11:35 PM by gofast »
Bonneville is proof that God loves us and wants us to go fast.

Offline half-fast

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2009, 08:42:29 PM »
Thanks so much for taking the rest of us along. By hte way, I thought it was spelled Nawthun---didn't think they had "R's" up there.

R is pronounced ahh, ahyup

See all tomorrow, spending the night in Waterville, ME

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2009, 11:31:33 PM »
Three Stooges = Karl, Gary & BrendaSue. Fred you have a PM coming.

Well we made it in oh so many hours ago. Went out to the track for a look around. WOW is it WIDE! Long of course but wow, wide!
Interesting set up so far although all the cones haven't been laid down.

Got checked in to the Caribou Inn which again is another interesting set up! LOL

Ran into Bill from CA a couple times during the last hour and now I think we've adopted him. He drove 4,300 miles from CA to run his '08 stock motor busa. That's dedication!  :cheers: Super nice guy!

Went to dinner with Karl, Gary, BrendaSue (TFA gang), CA Bill, Bob & his wife whom I've already forgotten her name. I'll need to be told 3 more times and then perhaps I'll remember! LOL  We ate at the Governor's Restaurant in Presque Isle. Food was good, place was comfortable for a raggedy bunch of racers! hehehe

So far we've seen Joe & Donna Timney, Ransom, Kim & Bill Murphy, Bob Wanner of course & his lovely wife, Joe Daley, Walt Kudron, Pushrod Tom Schaeffer. Um, there's more but it's late & I'm not remembering! LOL

Ok, off to bed! We'll hit the track in the morning to lay claim to our pit home for the weekend. More updates as time allows. Oh I have a couple pics to post & of course completely forgot to snap pictures at dinner! DOH!

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 12:18:56 AM »
Pics:
Rest stop where we exited I-95 to Rt 1 for the last leg of our journey to LTA!

Ladies restroom on the way in:

Ladies restroom on the way out lol:

John what?

Bill from CA with his awesome, and very old as in 30 years old, alarm clock. It goes vroom vroom for the wake up & then says Good Morning! It's too cool!

The very awesome towels Ms BrendaSue made for us! Todd says those alone make the whole trip worth while! (again it's about the people!)

Ok that's it. bed time!

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2009, 08:08:36 AM »
Up & at em! First cup of coffee half down. Now I have to figure out breakfast options! We have our routine down at Maxton with a trip to McD's on the way to the track & Bill on site for breakfast backup. I didn't inquire on our options for breakfast. The Caribou Inn has a restaurant so I think that may be our first option. I'm not sure if they have continental here, I forgot to ask! They do have wireless internet but you have to remember to ask for the passkey thingamaboby. Of course I made 3 trips to the front desk before I remembered to ask! LOL

On another note, Don Smith, our East Coast Photographer extraordinare, posted that he'll be twitting from the track and since all good ideas deserve to be copied I've now popped my twitter cherry & have mastered, with two texts, the art of twitting! LOL I expect that Don and I will be amongst the same circle of friends but when the action is rolling we'll have different perspectives! I have broadband out here in Loring land but twitting is much quicker so likely will be the only quick update while we race.
Follow me if you like: DahMurf

Ok, first cup of coffee is done so that means I need to get off of here & get moving.
One more thing before I go, I'll be dumping pics into photobucket and may or may not get time to actually post them if things get hectic so you may want to reference them directly at: http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o244/narider/Loring%202009/

Ok, NOW I'm going!
Debbie

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2009, 08:18:35 AM »
I lied I'm back! hahaha  Todd just suggested I should include;
Don Smith's twitter is edonsmith1   (see: http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,6461.0.html)

You can sign up for Twitter here: http://twitter.com/home

The quick & dirty is that I can send a text message from my phone and it will be posted on my twitter web page. Don can send a text message from his phone and it will be posted on his twitter page.

Ok, cool... I just did a test & you can read the latest updates directly from my twitter page without logging in or signing up for an id. Now if you do sign up you can get notifications when an update is made but all of that is totally not necessary! Just click the following links for our updates:

Debbie:  http://twitter.com/DahMurf
Don:      http://twitter.com/edonsmith1

Debbie

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2009, 09:57:06 AM »
Well I never thought I would have a twitter acct. but you know what they say, never say never. I got one and I am following Feb & Don.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2009, 11:10:21 PM »
Busy day today! I swear everything was ready when we left the shop so how is it that it seemed to take all day to get out to & then through tech! 3 complete sets of paperwork! Bleck! Donna was doing a fantastic job in Registration working her butt off!  Our wait in tech wasn't very long and everyone did a great job.

It drizzled on & off all day. Pretty dreary weather wise but being with a bunch of great friends & racers getting ready to run tomorrow made it not so dreary!

Things/rumors I've heard that we're waiting to confirm in tomorrows driver meeting;
200 MPH club WILL require a record not just a run at or over 200 MPH.
Rookie runs will be a one step down on your license category so if you're licensed for 200 you need to run 175 first.

Went down the track again & it looks great but with it being so wide I'm still a bit concerned with the "finish line" markings. They blend into the works a bit and they're not very distinct from the other markers so I'm concerned about seeing them well at speed. I guess we'll see. It seems that the lack of markers after the trap is more obvious then the end of trap markers which again is concerning to me because you may loose valuable stopping time while you’re assessing the lack of markers! Luckily there’s plenty of room to spare so I don’t anticipate any big issues even if you do sort of miss the queue.

Had a nice dinner with Todd, Scott, Shane, Nadia, Walt, Pushrod Tom & two other guys that I can’t pull up their names in my mind! I have such a hard time remembering names sometimes! Naturally I was just living in the moment and neglected to take pictures again! Perhaps with the better weather tomorrow I’ll be able to snap a few more pics! Back to the room now & off to bed. Early morning tomorrow and a long day for sure!

Oh yeah, one more thing, poor Don is stuck in Boston for the night. His flight got cancelled so we won’t see him until midday. Hopefully there won’t be many great photo ops missed while he’s traveling at the mercy of the airline!

Debbie

PS: FredVance, I sent you a PM on here. Please read & respond. Thanks!