Author Topic: Contenders for the ALSR...  (Read 24300 times)

Blue

Re: Contenders for the ALSR...
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 04:01:12 AM »
OK, this is a little strange.  The bullet appears to be an Australian project, but it's not Rosco's; so this isn't Demmitt or FR.  I don't know who is advising them on the aero side, but long before anyone gets to CFD they need to make it stable and properly ruled for the design Mach number as a first-order exercise.  The tails are minimal, the stability is obviously negative, and the volume distribution is nowhere near parabolic.  Who are these guys?

And everyone is always in need of money.  Even Richard Noble.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 04:15:57 AM by Blue »

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 05:23:10 AM »
This link may shed some light on the project for you Blue.
http://www.bulletproject.com/home.html
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Blue

« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2009, 05:27:13 AM »
Tiny
Yes, I read the site before I wrote my previous post; no light.  Who are these people, what are their qualifications, what propulsion, aerodynamic, and mechanical technologies are they using that justify the claims of 1000 mph? 

This is not a trivial exercise: 1000 mph on an Australian salt flat is 3,000 pounds per square foot dynamic pressure, or more than 10X the pressure that a 400 mph car at Bonneville will see.  The web site answers none of these critical questions.  Perhaps it will in the future.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 05:38:47 AM by Blue »

Blue

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2009, 06:02:00 PM »
Some on this site believe that LSR1000 is Jim Demmitt's program.  If so, I hope they have re-examined the $$$ necessary to attempt 1000 mph.  Jim inquired into buying the Fossett car about a year ago and his cost estimates were 1/10th of the absolute minimum, and 1/20th to 1/40th of what the Brits spent in adjusted dollars running TSSC.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:37:04 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »

Offline ski123

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 06:49:08 PM »
I got a response from Mr. Demmitt on the Bangshift Forum
he said the Breedlove/Fossett car is still in the hands
of Peggy Fossett.   I'll look deeper.  He didn't mention
anything about the www.LSR1000.com site either.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2010, 09:19:50 PM »
Just a note -

It appears the LSR1000 site has been hijacked.

In the words of former Supreme Court Justice, Potter Stewart -

"I know it when I see it".

Yep, that's what that is . . .

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline desotoman

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2010, 09:35:20 PM »
Or they are trying a different approach to raising money. LOL.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2010, 09:37:59 PM »
Using the magic powers given to me -- I've removed the links to that site.  You are welcome to go where you want -- but at least this thread won't take you there directly.  Thanks for the heads-up, Chris.

Unh, if you decide to go to that site -- you might want to enable "private browsing" before you do.  No need to have records of having visited there. . .
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 09:39:49 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2010, 10:34:17 PM »

Unh, if you decide to go to that site -- you might want to enable "private browsing" before you do.  No need to have records of having visited there. . .

I've been busted. :|
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

healewis

« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2010, 06:18:26 AM »
Tiny
Yes, I read the site before I wrote my previous post; no light.  Who are these people, what are their qualifications, what propulsion, aerodynamic, and mechanical technologies are they using that justify the claims of 1000 mph? 

This is not a trivial exercise: 1000 mph on an Australian salt flat is 3,000 pounds per square foot dynamic pressure, or more than 10X the pressure that a 400 mph car at Bonneville will see.  The web site answers none of these critical questions.  Perhaps it will in the future.

Hi  :roll: I'm the guy responsible for the design of The Silver Bullet RV1  :roll:  Hope you all understand, the design is taking a totally different approach than that of the conventional designs produced as at present. The thinking towards the design was to start from scratch and try to ignore what was being developed by the Bloodhound SSC team and Aussie Invader and find an alternative solution to the problems of supersonic travel across the surface of the earth. It's a mammoth task and one that we hope to succeed in achieving. As mentioned by Mark Read (Aussie Invader) the 1000 mph target looks to be a progressive challenge so therefore, we have a good chance to catch up with the seasoned professionals in this field :roll:

Cheers

Paul

Offline SaltShaker54

• New folks
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2010, 10:07:32 PM »
Tiny

Hi  :roll: I'm the guy responsible for the design of The Silver Bullet RV1  :roll:  Hope you all understand, the design is taking a totally different approach than that of the conventional designs produced as at present. The thinking towards the design was to start from scratch and try to ignore what was being developed by the Bloodhound SSC team and Aussie Invader and find an alternative solution to the problems of supersonic travel across the surface of the earth. It's a mammoth task and one that we hope to succeed in achieving. As mentioned by Mark Read (Aussie Invader) the 1000 mph target looks to be a progressive challenge so therefore, we have a good chance to catch up with the seasoned professionals in this field :roll:

Cheers

Paul

Paul

Great project and design what is the time frame of starting test runs? it seams the others are going to start in 2011. I hope our American hero Ed and the NAE can push the record to 800mph before the end of the year. Good luck to you and the team on your 1000mph goal
"Salt Shaker 54"

The Studebaker Over The Hill Gang

Project Blown Fuel Altered Coupe 54 Stude

healewis

« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2010, 04:52:23 AM »
Thanks for  that Salt Shaker  :cheers: Most emails and comments we get are usually rather insulting to say the least. I also hope NAE gets to the 800 mph before we all Bloodhound and Aussie Invader do their first runs. As for The Silver Bullet, we have only been working on this project for around 12-14 months. We have all the ingredients to make this cake but are unable to bake it until we get the funds to do so and as mentioned it other posts within these forums, the economic downturn has put the brakes on any potential sponsorship partners to date.  :-(

Just before the downturn in the economy Rosco had a massive sponsorship deal in America with Ford?? I seem to recall and if that had gone ahead, he would probably have been ready to run now.

Our time line is as long as the cash flow so who knows?? We are aiming to built and run in Australia with all the parts being sourced in Australia. This part of the project is almost complete and from the problems arising with the salt flats, we have to overcome those issues also. Our in house CFD team will be running simulations soon to ascertain the stability and adjustments will then be made to the vehicle. So, it's all go here and with a little luck, we'll see you on the flats

thanks again

Paul