Author Topic: Contenders for the ALSR...  (Read 24303 times)

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
Re: Contenders for the ALSR...
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2009, 03:22:44 PM »
Also saw the PS article and thought the same. One observation I had was at least there was a real pic of the NAE making a run and just "cartoons" of Bloodhound.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »
Ed....just remind yourself that the magazine needs readable articles..... when you guys start having success and that journalist recontacts you....tell him you thought he didn't do you justice on the last article and maybe he ought to "piss up a rope"......
Kent

Robin UK

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2009, 03:58:04 PM »
I may be way offbase on this, but I beleive Popular Science is a British owned magazine so that may explain the slanted views.

Smitty, pretty sure PS is US publication based in New York.

If it's any consolation to Ed, I was part of the SSC team from the beginning and can tell you that we had our fair share of incompetent reporting throughout the project. Even when things were going well and the record within reach, some of the stuff being written was sloppy, inaccurate and bore little resemblance to what actually happened or was provided via briefings. That's why we always placed such emphasis on getting the real story told via the website. I'm with Kent and would add that most of the press never let the facts get in the way of the story they want to tell. It's annoying but sadly it's the way it is.

Cheers

Robin
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 07:21:38 AM by Robin UK »

Offline smitty2

• Worlds fastest miniature Pachyderm.
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2009, 04:16:30 PM »
Robin... I'm pretty sure you're right. I may be thinking of Discovery magazine, or something... I just look at the pictures anyway.. those books have a lot of really big words! :-D
 I find it better to get information from the horses mouth rather than 3rd hand from a reporter that can't tell a King Pin from hair gel.

Smitty    :cheers:

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2009, 06:29:45 PM »
You guys (and gals) are fellow racers and understand the difficulties that come with this hobby. Maybe I'm just a little to sensitive because I see it from the inside and really get browned off when someone doesn't speak well of the committment and tenacity extended by a team of extremely dedicated folks. I also worry that a potential sponsor might read an article about us that isn't flattering and turn the other way. I also worry about my existing sponsors and the lack of mention in the article on PS. I guess I'm just a worrywort. Either way, we're pressing on..........Ed
Ed

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2009, 10:08:27 PM »
You've all discovered how we can be misrepresented in the press.  Sometimes it's because the reporter was not taking careful/correct notes, sometimes it's because the reporter/news organisation has an axe to grind, sometimes it's plain old incompetence.  I write my own news releases and usually (Usually!) the story is much closer to the truth.

Of course -- you can't do this for something like a magazine that has sent a reporter, or a film/video crew, but maybe they'd let you hand them a prepared release when they're doing their interviews and recordings.  If you can do that -- hand them some information with the facts all correct -- at least MAYBE the number of mistakes in their article or video will be smaller.

I stress maybe -- becuase while the last article I wrote for the hometown newspaper was good, they still farkled the caption for the photo that I included.  I wrote the caption for the photo -- but when it was printed they changed my speed from "Wennerberg has ridden this bike to speeds over 195 mph" to "Wennerberg has ridden this bike to speeds over 240 mph."  Dang -- I wish it were so.

Back to the subject -- if you know they're on the way to interview you, try to have a handout for them stating your side of the story in a factual and believeable manner.  They might even use it.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2009, 01:02:24 PM »
slim... i don't think the problem was with erroneous facts but more like disparaging context...... what some of these "so called journalists" don't have is respect.... some if not all can see the direct cost involved in a project but rarely see the indirect costs.... yes they might even consider time off of work a few days a week or missed wages due to racing and testing but few think about the cost to our friends and families or the efforts of our sponsors.... what about the sacrifices our families and friends make..... including ourselves..... we get excited about coverage and exposure to our hard work on a project we love only to have a douche bag wanna be journalist slam ya because he thinks it will make a better story.... a good journalist has respect and can write a story so show some..... next time PS wants to do an story Ed.... tell em to send some one with "respect"
Kent

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2009, 03:31:43 PM »
Kent -- Nice post.  You're probably right -- I didn't see the article and guessed (wrong, it turns out) about the errors in facts.  It's sad that the writer was slamming Ed's efforts -- much worse than just getting some numbers or design theories or something incorrect.

By the way, I elected to ban someone from the Forum last night.  I think I've made the correct "executive" decision, but am willing to listen to you members to see if you'd like me to lift that ban.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2009, 04:39:25 PM »
let me guess who.....turd bird?.... if so, good call.....
kent

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009, 10:21:18 AM »
 :-D  Slim,   your the Boss, do what's necessary!      (It wasn't me was it?  lol )    Crow
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline ski123

« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2009, 03:09:23 PM »
What about WWW.BULLETPROJECT.COM
Anybody ever hear about this plan?

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2009, 04:00:43 PM »
Hard to tell.  At my end, the website is very crippled.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline ski123

« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2009, 10:57:11 PM »
LSR100 has jumped into the ALSR chase and we are looking for any info on a suitable pace to run.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Jim

www.LSR1000.com

Is this project for real?
Is there a car, plan, timeline,
website, money, anything other
then a hype blog on a web forum?
Did you buy the Breedlove/Fossett car?
I hope this thing is a go, stop teasing.

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2009, 11:37:01 AM »
LSR100 has jumped into the ALSR chase and we are looking for any info on a suitable pace to run.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Jim

www.LSR1000.com

Is this project for real?
Is there a car, plan, timeline,
website, money, anything other
then a hype blog on a web forum?
Did you buy the Breedlove/Fossett car?
I hope this thing is a go, stop teasing.

I believe this is Demmett (BA57T-bird)
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline ski123

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 12:19:18 PM »
So I just got a e-mail from the guys @ www.bulletproject.com.
They say they are serious and, like everybody else, still looking
for more funding.  On their site they are looking for people to
nominate a driver. I'll do it but I've never driven over 113 mph.
Also today I got the Dec. newsletter from Rosco's AI team.  They
are looking like things are happening.  The next ALSR is setting up
to be the most competitive ever. Is it just me who can't sit still?