Author Topic: Contenders for the ALSR...  (Read 24302 times)

Blue

Contenders for the ALSR...
« on: July 28, 2009, 01:30:52 AM »
With little fanfare, Rosco McGlashan has launched AI-5.  The vehicle is an attempt on the 1000+mph barrier.

It is simpler, cheaper, and more robust than its competitors.  Kind of a Blue Flame on steroids.  I wish them the best of luck.

IM<HO, the design is lower in drag, more stable, and higher in performance margin than the high-profile competitor from across the pond.  It is certainly less expensive.  Time will tell who can produce results on the playas of the world.

Offline mercflyer

• New folks
Re: Contenders for the ALSR...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:54:34 AM »
Sounds like the script from the movie "land speed"  :-D More power to them. Be good to see an ALSR showdown.
Ernie Natte / Black Creek Racing

Offline mjread

• New folks
  • Part of Aussie Invader Team www.aussieinvader.com
    • Marks cars (some)
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 02:10:25 AM »
You certainly hit the nail on the head.

Regards
mark@aussieinvader.com

Register to get our latest newsletter at www.aussieinvader.com:

http://www.aussieinvader.com/registration.php?moduleLoginView=registrationForm
Mark
Part of the Aussie Invader Team
www.aussieinvader.com

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 11:45:44 AM »
Sounds like we may be beginning a new golden age of active pursuit of the absolute land speed record.

Hope they do well with this effort!

Larry

Offline mjread

• New folks
    • Marks cars (some)
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 09:48:47 PM »
Exactly what I have been saying, that with 3 teams all going for the record, it could well be the golden age again.

This LSR challenge is going to be played out on the world stage over the next few years, as no team is going to go for 1000 mph straight away. The record will be pushed up incrementally, to test the cars and drivers. This will give the other teams time to respond and create a great global event.

Like all record attempts we are looking for backing to complete the car and rocket engine development, although we are building the car and have some really great people involved. So if any of you know of a company or organisation that wants some great exposure please email me  - mark@aussieinvader.com.

We have been approached by 3 separate media companies in the last month, all wanting to make documentaries on our car and team.

keep up to date with our progress, by registering for a newsletter:

http://www.aussieinvader.com/registration_centre.php
Mark
www.aussieinvader.com

Offline Sam Green

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 12:14:21 AM »
Let battle commence :-D :-D :-D :-D but remember who won the Ashes  :evil: :evil: :evil:

Good luck with your project Mark, drive safe. :wink:

Sam. :cheers:
175cc Woodbridge Mile record holder 118.3mph

Offline mjread

• New folks
    • Marks cars (some)
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 02:48:51 AM »
The funny thing is I am a Brit, living in Perth, Western Australia, so I was actually supported the Poms for the cricket, however when it comes to LSR and working with Rosco McGlashan, he is a legend and I want to help him get the record, he deserves.

He has been working for this for over 40 years and this is his 3rd and last LSR car, he has run 643 mph on salt. he is the most dedicated and driven guy I know. he left school at 12 after seeing Donald Campbell break the LSR 1964 and said to his mates, I can build a car faster than that. He lied about his age at 12 and got a job working up north in the mines and started speedway and drag racing. He still holds the world record for going 253 mph on a hydrogen peroxide go kart over the 1/4 mile.

A few years back he went to Russia to get the most powerful jet engines he could and was kidnapped by the mafia and fought his way out single handed with an iron bar. 

I see a bit of talk about the unlimited record not being valued by some of the guys on here, well this is his dream, and shame on you. I believe I and the rest of the team can help him achieve it.

Mark
www.aussieinvader.com

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 12:42:57 PM »
May his dream come true!!  Good luck fellas!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Sam Green

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 02:40:57 PM »
The funny thing is I am a Brit, living in Perth, Western Australia, so I was actually supported the Poms for the cricket, however when it comes to LSR and working with Rosco McGlashan, he is a legend and I want to help him get the record, he deserves.

He has been working for this for over 40 years and this is his 3rd and last LSR car, he has run 643 mph on salt. he is the most dedicated and driven guy I know. he left school at 12 after seeing Donald Campbell break the LSR 1964 and said to his mates, I can build a car faster than that. He lied about his age at 12 and got a job working up north in the mines and started speedway and drag racing. He still holds the world record for going 253 mph on a hydrogen peroxide go kart over the 1/4 mile.

A few years back he went to Russia to get the most powerful jet engines he could and was kidnapped by the mafia and fought his way out single handed with an iron bar. 

I see a bit of talk about the unlimited record not being valued by some of the guys on here, well this is his dream, and shame on you. I believe I and the rest of the team can help him achieve it.

Hey Mark, with you and John ackroyd in the team, they should be OK, a bit of help from the UK can't be bad. :-D :-D
The thing is, who will get there first ?  Will the Blue Streak look-a-like streak into the lead with the Bloodhound hot on it's trail :roll: :roll: :roll:   Being a member of the Bloodhound supporters club, I hope it's the other way about. :-P
I get to meet the Bloodhound team at one of their open days in Coventry in a few weeks time, I'm really looking forward to it.
I wonder if you could get a bookie to give you odds on who will be the first to crack it. 8-) 8-) 8-)

Regards Sam. :wink: :cheers:

175cc Woodbridge Mile record holder 118.3mph

Offline mjread

• New folks
    • Marks cars (some)
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 08:53:11 AM »
Thanks Sam, either way there is a friendly rivalry and respect between the teams.

The truth is that finance for both teams is an issue and will probably play a part. No one team is going to go out and break the record straight away, it will be built up over a period of time and this will allow the other team to respond hopefully, which should make it more interesting. It will also allow the cars to be tested and make sure they are as safe as possible for the drivers.

The 2 cars have different approaches, Bloodhound is quite complex with 3 different engine types, where as Aussie Invader 5R is very simple.... brute force with 200,000 hp on tap. I want to see those engines fire and what a ride... Rosco will be sitting in a car that is capable of burning 2.25 tons of HTP and about 320 kg of JP5  biofuel in 20 seconds.

Enjoy the day with the Bloodhound team, they are a very professional outfit.

Mark
www.aussieinvader.com

Offline LSR1000

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 08:11:27 PM »
LSR100 has jumped into the ALSR chase and we are looking for any info on a suitable pace to run.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Jim

Online Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 09:33:01 PM »
"LSR100 has jumped into the ALSR chase and we are looking for any info on a suitable pace to run."

LSR 100, not 1000?

What pace to run? -- as fast as you can!

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »
LSR100 has jumped into the ALSR chase and we are looking for any info on a suitable pace to run.
Thanks in advance for any info.
Jim
Demmitt?? :-o
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline mkilger

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 01:50:45 PM »
thundersalt thats funny. :lol:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2009, 02:28:25 PM »
thundersalt thats funny. :lol:

That's what I was thinking,Im confused on the LSR 100 or 1000 guess we will wait for the proof of the claim.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah