Author Topic: exit the car with ease  (Read 15394 times)

Offline jl222

Re: exit the car with ease
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 05:00:54 PM »
For what its worth, I love the comforting feel of the HANS device.  I have always run the tethers so tight that I couldn't move my head left or right.  If I have to look that far to the side, I may have bigger problems than my choice of head restraint. 

I asked one of the HANS engineers about this adjustment at Speed Week, and through his broken English and my crappy French, I think he agreed with our tether adjustments.

Exiting is not a problem at all with the HANS.  It may be our car though (Berkeley at a 45 degree seat angle).  The only painful thing about it was that I bought my HANS back in 2007 when all they had in our angle requirement was the carbon fiber version for Indy cars.

It hurt a little bit to pay for a carbon fiber unit at the same time we are mounting lead in the car.

I take it that you have no roll bar or roof to duck under or get hung up on. Some cars will have no problems others major problems.
   Has SCTA studied this? Until they do they should hold off on rule.

JL222

Offline jackson

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 05:59:05 PM »
JL, I think it's our car that makes it easy to get out.  We had a very low roll cage our first year on the salt with this car.  We had a hard time getting out even without a helmet.  With the taller cage, it's very easy to submarine under the wheel to get head room for exit. 

That being said, our car has been described as a skate board with a jungle gym on top.

I'm not that worried about our playground equipment causing wind resistance at this point since we can barely keep wrist pins in the motor long enough to lose the push truck!  It sure is easy and comfortable to drive though.

I haven't had the need for the quick release tethers, would that make your exit any easier?

Offline speediesparks

• New folks
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 09:51:45 PM »
 I have to agree with Charles,there are many brands on the market.I was worried that I also couldn't get out of my car with one on.At Bonneville this year, Arron from Safety Solutions came by my pit and let me try on their Hybrid Pro.No problems getting out of my car with their restraint on.I bought one on the spot.You can feel the device working when you turn your head side to side and when you move your head forward.I used it all week and the rookie driver getting his licence in my car also used it.It felt very comfortable in the car.Arron took the time to explain how it worked and install the hardward on my helmet.He also showed us how to adjust for other drivers.It was easy to remove my helmet after being out of the car by pulling the two straps.I don't think they are just salesman.I really think these people are interested in our safety and how to make our sport safer for all.
STEVE   
Just counting the days to go racing!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 10:20:05 PM »
Steve,  glad you met Aaron  for Safety Solutions,,,  They are great folks and work hand in hand with ISP (the seat folks)..  Aaron can also hook you up with seat belts too,,,, I have been to there factory as well.. great folks to deal with.. I was glad to meet them and guess what,,, they custom fit me and in less than 10 days I had mine too,,, best part,,, no extra cost for fitting it to me (they had to use extra webbing to get around me and it fits great.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2009, 11:00:23 AM »
Take one look at Rick Yacoucci in one of Costello's cars and tell me where he is going to put a Hans device?? Small streamliners and lakesters with very close fitting roll cages will not accept the Hans.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2009, 11:41:10 AM »
I have had to add a tin inner rollcage cover on several cars so the Hans devise does not catch the front of the roll bar... an easy fix for the problem.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline hbennett

• New folks
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »
If anyone has questions on the HANS Device or HNRs in general, please feel free to contact HANS at 800-426-7999 or me direct at hbennett@hansdevice.com. We'll be glad to help any way we can. Thanks.

Howard Bennett
HANS Performance

Offline jl222

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2009, 01:06:26 PM »
  This ruling on Hans devices has the manufactures drooling but might just be the straw that broke the camels back for
some racers and El Mirage.
  Looking at some Eldora pictures I didn't see any Hans devices,looks like the Nascar drivers don't were them unless they have to.
  Compare safety devices with cars to motorcycles.

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »

I just submitted a rule change to SCTA requesting that Hans type devices be Highly recommended but not mandatory.

Under desired rulebook [rewording] I suggested.

''Hans type devices are highly recommended but due to the different styles of chassis construction they may be an obstruction''

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2009, 04:35:01 PM »

I just submitted a rule change to SCTA requesting that Hans type devices be Highly recommended but not mandatory.

Under desired rulebook [rewording] I suggested.

''Hans type devices are highly recommended but due to the different styles of chassis construction they may be an obstruction''

JL222

Original post didn't show up?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 04:39:38 PM by jl222 »

Offline willieworld

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2009, 04:55:20 PM »
the cut off date for submitting a rule change was sept 1st---so yours will not be considered on this years agenda  page 101  7.A.6    willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline jl222

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2009, 05:08:05 PM »
the cut off date for submitting a rule change was sept 1st---so yours will not be considered on this years agenda  page 101  7.A.6    willie buchta

Thanks Willie I looked and new it was in Sept but thought later and didn't look under motorcycle

Guess I'll write the SCTA board as they have the final say.

JL222

Offline willieworld

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2009, 05:37:16 PM »
you know i looked in the  car rules and didnt see any mention of sept 1st  --maybe the sept 1st rule only applies to motorcycle rules changes                      willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2009, 06:14:48 PM »
On safety rules, I think that they can act quickly if needed.

Didn't they change the rules about coolant last year within a couple days of the fire at the ShootOut?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
Page 1 of the rule book says Sept. 1.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah