Author Topic: exit the car with ease  (Read 15401 times)

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Re: exit the car with ease
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2009, 02:52:07 PM »
I know it can be a life saver under certain conditions. Can you give me the facts regarding any deaths in LSR  resulting from a fracture to the base of the skull?
 I really want facts, not Hype, BS, and scare tactics. I get enough of that from the Obama administration.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

McRat

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2009, 03:41:55 PM »
Would a HANS device do something that an OEM airbag wouldn't?  While I disabled my airbag, I could always re-arm it.  I didn't think frontal impacts were a major concern, so I focused on rollover and fire safety, and exceeded the reqs in those areas.  But I do arm the airbag for dragracing.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2009, 04:37:15 PM »
2010 is not printed yet, maybe SCTA will have second thoughts about causing more problems than they solve. I'm starting to feel claustrophobic as it is with out being more restricted getting out.

I feel the same way but it seems that this thing sure seems imminent. 

I know it can be a life saver under certain conditions. Can you give me the facts regarding any deaths in LSR  resulting from a fracture to the base of the skull?

Those are the questions I have to.  It's not like we're NASCAR or NHRA where we have to deal with wall impacts.  And of all the unfortunate deaths that have occured over the years how many would have been prevented by a HANS? 

Anyways, it won't become a rule (at least I don't think it will) until there is a forward head movement prevention device available for every single application in the SCTA. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Bruno

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2009, 04:49:07 PM »
For what its worth, I love the feel of the HANS, combined with the full containment seat,  its a great comfort to have the suport in all directions.  But one must design for the exit.  In hind site I would have used a seat with more backward tilt so the window would be open enough for exit with the HANS.  But this puts me in a more ackward postition to drive in.  I picked the seat that I did  after trying several because it gave me the most control over the car ( my top priority).  I never figured it would be a problem as the exit with just the Helmet on is smooth and clean.

I will continue with my practicing.  I would rather wear it and have to remove it to exit, than not have the added protection.

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2009, 05:01:40 PM »
Bruno, What kind of car? What kind of seat lay back? For our Corvette GT car, Yes I can see where a hans device could be used to an advantage. In our liner with a 65 degree lay down seat, it looks like a waste of time. I will be at SW just helping a friend this year so I will make it a point to talk to the people selling them and maybe make up my mind then.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2009, 05:32:08 PM »
do you have a number for Jim,  I have tried googling, but no luck.

Thanks

Bruno, This is his web site http://downingatlanta.com/downingatlanta/da_composites_new.htm

Downing/Atlanta Composites, Inc.
5096 Peachtree road
Atlanta, Georgia 30341 USA
TEL: 770.457.1143
FAX: 770.458.6118

These are pictures of the seat Kent makes and the style that will be in the roadster.  Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 07:28:10 PM »
Doug Odom....... I have to agree with you on the Hans device in a liner with a extreme seat angle. I tried one of the pro series 40 degree devices in my liner and it just did not feel good. It actually made me feel not as safe. It places my neck in a very uncomfortable position. It seems that with the extreme lay down position your body is going to submarine more than bend at the waist. I personally don't think the Hans device is going to do anything to protect my neck. As for getting in and out of the car with it on, it is a little bit of a struggle but I don't think it will slow me down if there is a fire. Has any of the manufactures done any real crash test with a extreme lay down car like a liner. I have seen several crash test but most were using a more up right sitting position. If you get any good info at Bonneville, please pass it on to us.
Thanks....JerryO

Offline hitz

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2009, 01:22:56 AM »
I've been doing some exit testing/bail outs with my D-cell head/ neck restraint, 9 way belt (includes a chest belt) and an old style Simpson SFI 20 suit. I'm really happy with the D-cell restraint. It holds the head fore and aft as much as you like. I have it set at a recommended 1/2 inch movement. It also keeps the side to side movement about the same as the fore and aft. The head can turn about 20 degrees. And while testing I never noticed touching the helmet
side bars that have 1 1/4" clearance on each side. Once you release the helmet release catches you are not aware of the D-cell system until you bend at the waist. You can feel the tension in the crotch area.

I think you could build the cage to allow the Hahn's type to exit easily but at the cost of  a larger roll cage. If you have to have more clearance to make it work well then you probally don't need your recently required lateral helmet restraints. I really like those.

Any time you add more restraints it seems to add more exit time. Of course if you break your neck your exit time probably won't be important but if you're on fire your exit time is very important. We all have a lot at stake here and the people that have to make these rules have a terrible commitment to keep us safe. However some times it is better to not make a new rule at all.

If you have a position on any safety device let every body know about it. It would be better if you weren't selling them to let people know what they think . Most salesmen are probably pushing something and really believe in it but thats not always true.

Harv

Offline jl222

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 01:12:34 AM »

SCTA/BNI inspectors and board members should pay special attention at speedweek inspection on exit problems and hans type devices. I believe there is a major hangup problem on coupes and sedans with

the roll bar above the door. LSR coupe drivers don't exit there cars like Nascar drivers. Many LSR drivers exit face first which could cause a hans type device to get hooked on roll bar, and with the new requierment of side head movement there is less exit room.

JL222

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »
Hans  is not the only device out there,, it is good very good, but I could not get out wearing it and since I am a jumbo sized guy  the Hans hurt my neck,,

I use a Hutchins/ Safety Solutions  Hybrid Pro (carbon fiber/composite) SFI and all..
Safety Solutions in Mooresville, NC   makes some darn good choices... Check out several designs.
They even make 5, 6 and 7 point  cam buckle and latch link seat belts in two differant weights.

I took a tour of there place and had them measure me on the spot and make me a Hybrid Pro.

I opted for the quick release tethers as well, just in case when my new seat arrives, I need to release the restraint to get out,,,

http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/wordpress/?p=627#more-627

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Bruno

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2009, 01:07:12 PM »
For what its worth,  by the end of the third run,  I finially figured out how to get out of the car with the Hans, on. And did so on the remaining 8 runs that I made.

Dave

Offline jl222

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2009, 01:51:17 PM »
For what its worth,  by the end of the third run,  I finially figured out how to get out of the car with the Hans, on. And did so on the remaining 8 runs that I made.

Dave

Glad you didn't have a fire before you figured it out.

I hope SCTA reconsiders the '' hans type'' device rule and and just makes it '' strongly recomended'' as I feel this will trap drivers in there cars, it will in mine and the one and only other driver I observed exiting his coupe.

If you disagree with this upcoming rule fill out a rule change form under SCTA rules on your computer and send it in, and if you send a letter to the SCTA I believe they have to read it at the next meeting under comunications.

Do it before the Sept deadline

JL222

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »
JL222,

Is the new rule or proposed rule specific to "Hans Device"  or can the driver choose the best Head and Neck Restraint system for his/her application ?

It would seem that some other designs may fit better in extreme lay back driving positions. (or for us larger framed drivers)

I just bought a brand new Hybrid Pro from Safety Solutions and thought it would pass tech under the new or proposed Head and Neck Restraint rules,,, I am hoping I am right and you guys are using  "Hans Device" generically not specifically ??

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 03:27:21 PM »
JL222,

Is the new rule or proposed rule specific to "Hans Device"  or can the driver choose the best Head and Neck Restraint system for his/her application ?

It would seem that some other designs may fit better in extreme lay back driving positions. (or for us larger framed drivers)

I just bought a brand new Hybrid Pro from Safety Solutions and thought it would pass tech under the new or proposed Head and Neck Restraint rules,,, I am hoping I am right and you guys are using  "Hans Device" generically not specifically ??

Charles

Charles its not specific to hans device thats why I quoted ''hans type'' but it has to be SFI certified.

JL222

Offline jackson

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 04:18:07 PM »
For what its worth, I love the comforting feel of the HANS device.  I have always run the tethers so tight that I couldn't move my head left or right.  If I have to look that far to the side, I may have bigger problems than my choice of head restraint. 

I asked one of the HANS engineers about this adjustment at Speed Week, and through his broken English and my crappy French, I think he agreed with our tether adjustments.

Exiting is not a problem at all with the HANS.  It may be our car though (Berkeley at a 45 degree seat angle).  The only painful thing about it was that I bought my HANS back in 2007 when all they had in our angle requirement was the carbon fiber version for Indy cars.

It hurt a little bit to pay for a carbon fiber unit at the same time we are mounting lead in the car.