Author Topic: exit the car with ease  (Read 15400 times)

Offline Bruno

exit the car with ease
« on: July 27, 2009, 11:07:51 PM »
Well If I do the following , release Hans clips, release harness, open door, release window net, remove steering wheel, lean forward to slide the Hans device down my back, then limbo out the door.      Is this with ease?

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: exit the car with ease
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 11:28:33 PM »
only if you can do it within 20 seconds to 5 minutes.....  :|
There is not an actual time limit, practice lots of times so it looks natural and you can do it all with your eyes closed.  (there may be smoke that probably burns your eyes) 
You can't be too prepared.
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline mkilger

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 12:21:30 AM »
just be smooth, dont panic you should be in the car right now doing it over and over, good luck

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 12:29:02 AM »
Ibuprofen helps.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2009, 12:42:55 AM »
Can you not get out with the HANS on?  Are you by chance a new car, new driver, or both?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline 32vertex

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2009, 02:50:15 AM »
Tha would make some excellent HANS-on experience right ?

Offline Bruno

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2009, 09:17:50 AM »
newcar, new driver,  HANS will not clear the full containment utra shield, Car is  a Corvette.  I 've done lots of practice and can do it routinely.  But I have ordered some 3" shoulderstraps, should I opt to boot the HANS,  as without the HANS Exit is a breeze. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 09:21:35 AM by Bruno »

Offline jl222

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 04:54:49 PM »
newcar, new driver,  HANS will not clear the full containment utra shield, Car is  a Corvette.  I 've done lots of practice and can do it routinely.  But I have ordered some 3" shoulderstraps, should I opt to boot the HANS,  as without the HANS Exit is a breeze. 

I've not purchased a hans device yet and have been wondering about exiting with it. Our some more streamlined than others?
 Hopefully SCTA will not make it a rule but just strongly advise wearing one.

JL222

Offline Kat

• Duramax Diesels
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2009, 05:19:13 PM »
opps!
B/DT 1616 "Casper" 2005 GMC 2500HD Sierra 4x4 Duramax Diesel + Allison Transmission
174.586mph - Bonneville '08, 2.25mi
10.59 @ 128.9 at California Speedway

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2009, 08:43:35 PM »
There will be a manufacturer or two on the salt with several different designs of Han's type devices. They are there to help the racers with the correct application for different designs of vehicles and cages.
They have been at El Mirage and answered a lot of questions.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2009, 12:47:57 AM »
Hopefully SCTA will not make it a rule but just strongly advise wearing one.

JL222

Read page 24 of the current rule book.

I was told by one of the safety equipment manufactures that has been assisting the SCTA through this transition period that a HANS device should NEVER be removed from the driver during an exit.  It was never elaborated as to why this was but he was pretty firm about it.  I'll contact him and try to get some more specific details.  Hopefully I either misunderstood him or heard him wrong because it seems kind of like an unwarranted necessity.  Also, I think I'm doing new cars again this year so I'm sure we'll get a chance to talk about it.  Also, on your exit, it's not just getting out... it's knowing the procedure to getting out safely.  Chute, kill switch, fire bottles, get stopped, belts, net, etc.  I've seen a new driver pull off his gloves and helmet before during a bailout.  I had to remind him that he was supposed to be on fire going 200 mph.  Last thing you're going to do is take off your gloves and helmet. 

Anyways, we'll get you squared away. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline jl222

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009, 02:08:24 AM »
  Nathan

I've read it. 2010 is not printed yet, maybe SCTA will have second thoughts about causing more problems than they solve. I'm starting to feel claustrophobic as it is with out being more restricted getting out.

BRIGHT IDEA, have the Hans device sellers try their devices at inspection on different entry's, time them exiting vehicle with and without.

JL222

Make it mandatory that a study is made on exit problems before a rulling is made.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:21:04 AM by jl222 »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2009, 02:33:16 AM »
If you want the straight scoop, just call Jim Downing.  It was him and his brother-in-law Bob Hubbard that designed the Hans.  They make a quick release kit that has tethers you can pull on for release from the helmet.   The rear engine roadster that I am helping build has a seating position like a liner, and it is designed around the Hans. In fact it will have a seat from Kent, just like the one in his liner.   Jim Downing was very helpful to us. Maybe if Kent wants he will post a picture of his seat in the liner and you can see how reclined the seat is and how tight around the hoop it is. Tony
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 02:42:10 AM by maguromic »
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Bruno

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 02:25:23 PM »
do you have a number for Jim,  I have tried googling, but no luck.

Thanks

Offline mkilger

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »
I think the Hans is here to stay, everyone will have to wear one in 2010, if you cant get out with one on you may have to redo your cage or whatever it takes to exit.  It is a life saver . dont know what else to tell ya