Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811019 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #2310 on: September 29, 2016, 05:35:18 PM »
All we see is a photo of an airplane drive and his vehicle.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #2311 on: September 29, 2016, 06:44:30 PM »
article with important details and announcement loads
up fine for me at 1643 9/29

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #2312 on: September 29, 2016, 07:25:20 PM »
All we see is a photo of an airplane drive and his vehicle.

Until you can see the full version, I give you the distilled version....they're not going to Australia.
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2313 on: September 29, 2016, 11:49:14 PM »
Thanks for the update Doc.

Here is to some good salt next year in the US of A.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #2314 on: September 30, 2016, 01:27:28 AM »
We need 11 million tons of salt to build up the salt crust by just 1 inch on the flats - so don't hold your breath waiting for "good salt" with current annual pumping levels of 600,000 tons plus continuing salt withdrawals due to the mining.

Willi
Kraut Bros.
Who Has More Fun?

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2315 on: September 30, 2016, 06:36:06 PM »
We need 11 million tons of salt to build up the salt crust by just 1 inch on the flats - so don't hold your breath waiting for "good salt" with current annual pumping levels of 600,000 tons plus continuing salt withdrawals due to the mining.

Willi
Kraut Bros.

Willi,

We need to find a way to get the rest of the salt on the south side of the highway back. I was told at the World of Speed that there is enough salt sitting over there to fill our racing basin with 8 inches of salt. Any ideas that are economically feasible?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Freud

« Reply #2316 on: October 08, 2016, 01:43:54 PM »
I was at Marlo's shop about 10 days ago. They had the drive shafts on the floor.

There was damage to most every shaft. The shafts in the "rear" ends were both

fractured. Some of the others were twisted. Marlo talked to several different

companies about re-engineering them and new ones being made. For the shafts that

connect the engines, along the right side of the body, the size is determined by the

inside diameter of the bearings. There are Greek couplers that connect these pieces.

The machined portion will have more gradual taper from the largest diameter to the

size necessary to slide thru the bearings. The couplers show no damage at all. As I

recall, the short shafts inside the belt boxes were the only parts that had no damage.

No doubt those shafts have been ordered and likely finished by now. The new material

for the shafts was not in stock. Just another delay but at this time that is no problem.

The parachutes are another deal. After a "high level" conference in the trailer at B'ville

new chutes were ordered. They were made over the weekend of Labor Day and delivered

to the shipper on Tuesday morning. Overnight air was the way they shipped. I should say

the way one of them shipped. Two boxes were sent. One box arrived overnight and the

other box was taken out of the shipment and left in Oakland, CA. It was delivered by TRUCK

the next day. That delayed the departure time for WOS by one day.  The plan was for at least 2

runs and hopefully 4 runs to test the chutes.  Didn't happen. The first run was when the two

shafts broke 0.07 seconds apart. They loaded up and went home  the next morning.

Without the tests with the chutes it didn't make sense to even consider Australia in 2017.

Patience has been observed thru this build and in the interest of safety Australia was scrubbed.

I have the images to do another post and show the pictures. That will happen soon.

Marlo plans to take the 471 roadster to the November El Mirage event. After that meet it

will be retired.

On www.target550.com, in the News section, there is a post from November 29. Some of

it will be redundant but you may read it. If there are differences between the to posts, so be it.

I probably just didn't remember properly. Chose the best scenario.

Thanks for your interest.

FREUD
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 01:51:30 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2317 on: October 08, 2016, 03:36:06 PM »
Freud, give these guys a look see: http://www.generalpolygon.com/
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2318 on: October 08, 2016, 06:13:29 PM »
Starting to sound like the Carbinite rear end main shaft failure. Sounds like Marlo has something going on in getting better replacements units but still might worth a call to Rob at Carbinite as I am sure he has some great input regarding his rebuilding of their main shaft.

Regarding the condition of the interconnection shafts I would think that they are in good shape because they are long and not large in diameter therefore pretty flexible which attenuates (reduces) shock loads and I would also think that their real purpose is to provide a connection between the engines that is really used to just keep them somewhat synchronized and therefore should never see full engine torque. I see this a just good design and function. With the abilities and patience  of the crew and the people involved with this project they will get it to be reliable and FAST!!  Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #2319 on: October 08, 2016, 07:34:46 PM »
they are long and not large in diameter therefore pretty flexible which attenuates (reduces) shock loads

Long, springy driveline elements also could give rise to torsional oscillations and resonances in the driveline which may well overcome the tendency to attenuate.  May not have shock loading but large load variation nonetheless.  Might also have some lateral stability concerns.
This drive seems to be more cut-and-try as opposed to being thoroughly engineered.  (Shaft sizes dictated by the bearings?)

Offline jl222

« Reply #2320 on: October 09, 2016, 02:04:20 AM »
they are long and not large in diameter therefore pretty flexible which attenuates (reduces) shock loads

Long, springy driveline elements also could give rise to torsional oscillations and resonances in the driveline which may well overcome the tendency to attenuate.  May not have shock loading but large load variation nonetheless.  Might also have some lateral stability concerns.
This drive seems to be more cut-and-try as opposed to being thoroughly engineered.  (Shaft sizes dictated by the bearings?)

These driveline failures could be from '' jack hammering'' short on and off loads to the drive train caused by
bumpy tracks. especially on non suspended cars.
  The 222 car used to do this when a track bar hit the under body when the rear squatted under power. We moved the shocks up for more clearance.
  I believe Circle track said that drivers had to watch out for this when leaving a pit stop as it would  destroy
the rear gears.

JL222

Offline Freud

« Reply #2321 on: October 10, 2016, 12:58:06 AM »
Interested Observer:

Yep the shaft size now depends on the bearings but the engineering

at the time of the build determined the bearing size. By now I would

suppose the shafts are done. I'll show fotos of the new shafts after I

go down there. A different type of material was being discussed and

I'll be more definite when I get the latest info.

Now, just tell me what off ramp to take when we go to lunch. I'll send

my GPS to You and you can upgrade it for me.

Looks like at least one day of El Mirage in November. Anyone with a

spare pass?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2322 on: October 10, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »
The torque load on a shaft can be reduced if it is spun faster.  This is done on bikes.  The primary drive ratio between the engine and the clutch, and the rear wheel drive ratio between the wheel and countershaft sprockets are increased so the trans and clutch spin faster with less torque.  The old british bikes had tapered shafts with woodruff keys holding the clutch onto the trans mainshaft.  Some of them would spin the clutch on the shaft under racing conditions if this was not done.  Not sure if this applies to your situation, but it might help.   

Offline Freud

« Reply #2323 on: October 10, 2016, 11:11:28 AM »
Hey fellows...........THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS.

Sometimes I feel out of place telling them what has

been suggested. It shouldn't be that way but I must

admit that after they consult with engineers about the

situation It's like Mom advising her kid that there's a

better way than what the teacher said. I'll just print

the suggestions and hand them to the 'brain trust."

Then the financial officer will probably be the one that

makes the final decision.

Just like in big business.

I'll willing listen to each and every one of You.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2324 on: October 10, 2016, 05:08:50 PM »
  Freud, You are doing a wonderful job.  Being the middle-man is a thankless job but the only stupid questions are the ones not asked or the answers not given... (famous quote from O.R.B.)
  There are some very smart folks posting on this site now days who are either engineers or at least play one on Landracing.com.  Some of em' even make sense once in a while.... although most of it is WAY over My head.
  I am still trying to figure out why (when watching the video of the first run at the test and tune... page 150, post #2244 on 8/02/16)  the undamaged chute suddenly starts rising in height as the vehicle slows....
                                                                        One Run, out...............................................................
                                                                                         :| :| :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:12:30 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury