Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811161 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #2280 on: August 21, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »
Ryan:

Thanks, Most I saw was 61% throttle position. Must have a lot left in her. The chute deployment is a little concerning. I heard there was so much loose salt that it was destroying chutes. Not sure if that is true or not. Seems the primary chute filled up with salt and dragged the ground a few seconds after deployment. The second chute was destroyed on arrival and the third had most of one panel missing. Les was turning of the course at 151 mph! Les made it look like a 30 mph turn out. Can't wait for this car to get sorted and on good salt to see it full potential.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #2281 on: August 22, 2016, 01:43:56 PM »
Les was certainly taking it pretty easy, shifting at around 5500 rpm, probably to keep the tires hooked up. Looking at the rpm in 4th at around 380 mph it looks like with the gear that they had in it they could have seen as high as 480 if they have the beans to pull 7000 rpm in 4th. The aero load difference between 385 and 480 is about 94% more power so they will probably have to do a little "tuning" to get there. I'm pretty sure that they have some "soda pop" experience and if the track is there they will apply as required.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline bbarn

« Reply #2282 on: August 22, 2016, 02:10:51 PM »
Lots of people were having trouble with chutes this event. I was talking to the SpeedDemon crew and they were switching over to Kevlar chutes because the regulars were getting destroyed. They said the Kevlar ones look like new after several deployments....I didn't want to know how much they cost.

The Target550 car sounds awesome when it makes a pass...even better than Fast Freddie's lakester on a full pull!!!!  There are few things that sound as good as those twins humming along. If you ever get the chance you need to hear them in person, a recording will not sound as good.

It was nice to get a few minutes in their pit with Frued and Marlo, they were very gracious to let me in to spy so openly!  :-D
I almost never wake up cranky, I usually just let her sleep in.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2283 on: August 24, 2016, 06:14:08 PM »
Videos from our 2016 SpeedWeek runs are now available on the Target 550 YouTube page.  Go to that page if you want to read the big long blabber text added to each video that tells the story of the run. 

Ryan

Thanks Ryan. I personally liked your "blabber text" and would strongly suggest everyone read it if they want to know what was going on with the Target 550 car at Speedweek. Thanks for posting the text.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline jl222

« Reply #2284 on: August 24, 2016, 09:29:05 PM »

Wow...Les was doing some driving on that slippery course at 1.24 in the video he backs off the throttle from 61% to 28%
at over 375mph and gets back in it :-o

JL222

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2285 on: August 25, 2016, 01:38:44 AM »
  They are having some wider tooth Q.C. gears built and are running on pins and needles until them.  They also didn't realize that they had hurt one of the B&J transmissions when the Q.C.s let go at the test and tune.  Also they were trying out LED shift lights because He can't read the tach or normal 12v lights on a rough course.
  Their drivetrain is so radical that its going to take a while to sort it out.
  Unless the get to run it a couple more times before November, I doubt they will go to Australia in December but that's just my opinion . 
  Also keep in mind that by underdriving the superchargers they can probably dump 50% nitro in it at any time  and pickup another 1,000 h.p.
Bob Drury

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2286 on: August 25, 2016, 10:29:52 AM »
Without a doubt HP is the least of their problems... having a track that they can use it is their greatest issue. 
Baby Steps.... Marlo and Les have done this before.... sorting the problems as they appear... there are so many things you cannot anticipate... until they happen
Good seeing and hearing the liner go by.... think Reno Air Races  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2287 on: August 25, 2016, 12:02:54 PM »
Stainless said:  "Good seeing and hearing the liner go by.... think Reno Air Races ".

So what is it about the firing order of the 16 cylinders that gives the car such a noticeably different sound (compared to other multi-engine cars)?  I assume they're synched that way on purpose - somehow producing the odd sound.  someone wanna give me some information?  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #2288 on: August 25, 2016, 12:30:48 PM »
  They are having some wider tooth Q.C. gears built and are running on pins and needles until them.  They also didn't realize that they had hurt one of the B&J transmissions when the Q.C.s let go at the test and tune.  Also they were trying out LED shift lights because He can't read the tach or normal 12v lights on a rough course.
  Their drivetrain is so radical that its going to take a while to sort it out.
  Unless the get to run it a couple more times before November, I doubt they will go to Australia in December but that's just my opinion . 
  Also keep in mind that by underdriving the superchargers they can probably dump 50% nitro in it at any time  and pickup another 1,000 h.p.

I bought some Q.C. gears made by Gear Engineering. The quality of the machining looked like from another planet compared to my other gears. Made for Indy cars.

JL222

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2289 on: August 25, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
  J.L., I wans't wanting to get in their way so I didn't ask a lot of questions but I do want to clarify that what Corey told Me was Thicker gears not wider.  If that doesn't do it they can always go to much wider gears by adding a spacer to the main body and maching a longer upper and out put shafts.  Les and Marlo are Smart and they aint cocky.
  Marlo told Me a few years back that Les talked him in riding shotgun with Les and in Les' homebuilt airplane from Calgary to the big Oshkosh flyin. When Les pointed out that they were now over the Great Lakes and when Marlo asked "for How long" les said "oh, about four hours"  Marlo said He tried to remember any prayers from His youth.  I forgot to ask Him if He was familiar with the Gordon Lightfoot tune about "The Edmund Fitzgerald" but I recall that He asked Les about parachute availability.
  They also are not getting any younger and the cocktail napkin design was probably at least 16 years ago.  To be calm and collected at this point in time must be unbearable.  They may at some point come to the realization that they too need to add traction control at least at Bonneville.  And at some point Jim Hume needs to have the car back for a few months to repair the body damage from the blower backfire a few years back.  I just hope I am there to hear and see that baby go by at full power snorting Nitro!  One Run, out....................................
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #2290 on: August 26, 2016, 01:57:59 AM »
The repair from the blower damage is done. It fits fine and "beauty queen" shape is not in the gallery now.

In my opinion when horsepower is needed it will be done with more boost. There is a lot available in that area.

I think nitro would require more changes than changing two pulleys: one on each blower. Les has seen these

engines on his dyno. I'm quite certain he has all the numbers in his head.

The salt condition had a lot to do with the results from these runs. Les used a lot of the flats on his last run.

Where he stopped the salt was very thin and tall buckles. The course was hard enough that dragging had very

little benefit. So Mutha Nature has to help if reliable runs happen for Target 550. I think Speed Demon may

be up against the same situation that limits us. But he certainly continues to excel. So there may also be help for us.

Thanks for your interest.

FREUD
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 02:16:07 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline TugBoat123

« Reply #2291 on: August 26, 2016, 04:29:58 AM »
Target 550! What a car! We were a few spots down from you in the pits (we are car #409, D/GL) I wanted to say how impressed I was with you folks. The car is beautiful and it was really exciting to see you out there. I remember seeing you guys years ago when you brought the car out to display it in the pits, even though it wasn't finished. I've been excited for your car ever since. Keep up the good work. I can't wait to see Target 550 in the future!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2292 on: August 26, 2016, 12:26:54 PM »
  Thanx Doc, as I said I wasn't wanting to get in the way or interrupt so anything I posted was strictly from My perspective. 
                                                                      One Run, out.......................................................
p.s.  I almost caught up with You in the pits but You had a full head of steam and in front of You were  some Young Ladies, so... I dropped the chase.
                                                             Happy Birthday to one of the "all time cornerstones" of Land Speed Racing!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #2293 on: August 30, 2016, 01:31:58 PM »
ORB.............it was a strange event for me.

The plan, believe me there was one, was knocked out'a

the park when the front transmission was broken. I had

planned regular posts each day but not only was the action

in the pits all strange, so were my posts.  I just couldn't get

a plan and it showed. I relied on our support fotogs being

down course and they came thru but the action at the starting

line was my responsibility. The support of the starting line was

magnificent.  I was amazed at the starting line crowds. They

crowded as close as allowed and I doubt that many of them had

ear protection.Even with "ear muffs" and the engines idling it

was loud. One of these times I'll be down course to record the

sound with stereo gear. Just have to be on the down wind side to

really appreciate "them sound waves."  Time is our challenge. The

car is on display at the Oregon State Fair. There's no work or

inspecting being done. As soon as it is back in the shop it's long

hours and "a short time to do it" situation  When I have more info

I'll pass it along. Every so often check www.target550.com site.

There are too many places for me to post so I'll go to those sites and

tell when I add more info.

Thanks again for your interest in this challenging  event.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2294 on: August 30, 2016, 01:47:56 PM »
Freud, let me "consult" with you on recording the sound.  I spent some time at the National Center for Audio Experimentation and learned tons of stuff - some of which could enhance the sound of passing race vehicles about a zillion fold.  It's surprisingly easy -- it's called binaural sound.

It's cool stuff. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com