Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811005 times)

Offline salt27

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #2265 on: August 11, 2016, 11:55:06 PM »
Just wait until Freud gives you a nickname.   :wink:

lol  Remind us of your son's Freud-given nickname.   :evil:

Mike

He calls Gus the "Little Puke", which is actually quite an honor since that's also what he calls Kenny Roberts.

This was all fine and dandy until he called me the "Big Puke".     :-D

Don

Offline Freud

« Reply #2266 on: August 14, 2016, 12:32:02 PM »
Boy, I'm wasted and it's only the second morning.

We won't run before noon today. It's 10 AM and I'm still

in the room. Worked late last night on this post.

There will be more later.

FerD

So we are going to Bonneville with the Treit and Davenport streamliner...............but the parts aren't ready yet. Lets get there and finish the work down there. That's not a bad idea. The past few years the pit site is under a professionally erected 20 x 60 foot tent. There are no posts under the roof. The breeze can blow through  but it's a lovely place to work. The support trailer is immediately along side and it's well equipped. A marvelous new gen set, air compressor, hand tools, Nelie's restaurant ….....get the idea?

So Korey Bligh, Jim Hume, Dick Milne, Tom Geradi, Les Davenport and Marlo Treit are being productive. The rear wheel fairings are being fitted and Les is making a new set of plug wires. There is some interference with the data recovery system. So much depends on reliable data that no possible interference source is being overlooked.

The car still needs to be inspected. As I remember it requires 3 inspectors. It will be done in our pit area. The beast is difficult to move and there is plenty of room for them to work. The car already has it's up to date log book. I can't imagine any changes that will need addressing before it is signed off.

That makes Sunday AM the soonest it can run.There may be a special session for the faster long course cars following the record return runs tomorrow morning. If that's the case we will be in line. This event can well be considered as a tuning session. The way time works out we may only get two runs.  We know Wednesday night is our cutoff. Other obligations determine the schedule. Les has predetermined obligations and  the car is to be displayed at the Oregon State Fair.

So, that's the way it is here folks. After the first run I will give a summary of what happened.
Scope out a few pictures and be ready for our first run.

FREUD

This is too difficult to add fotos. Go to Facebook  Glenn Freudenberger.
This isn't my first rodeo with Landracing.com.  I've attached many fotos
but today is a sharp pain in the SSA.
Since '63

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2267 on: August 14, 2016, 12:39:21 PM »
Thanks for the update.
I hope it all works out?. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #2268 on: August 15, 2016, 02:10:20 PM »
They will probably run within several hours.

To see the fotos go to www.target550.com

Sunday Report (a day late)

Ya, I'm at Bonneville.
Yes, they are going to run
Will it go 500?  Not today.

Sunday started as usual. Morning comes early. There is a routine that is followed  and there are many check points. One of the final ones is the warm up of the engines. Les is in the cockpit and controls the throttles. Marlo and Korey are the start team. The engines actually are started on Propane. That eliminates any chance for spilling fuel and having a fire.

The rear engine started just fine. The sound rumbled your ears until they hurt if you had no ear protection. The fumes make your eyes water and your nose and throat burn. They disconnect the propane line and move to the front engine. Same procedure and a different result. The engines are coupled together by the drive shaft but the two engines are running at different speeds. This can happen but it's not supposed to. Someplace in the drive system something is broken.

Long story shortened.........the tail shaft of the front transmission broke. It probably happened when the quick change gears stripped and the car didn' run under power after that.TNow the question.....what about the back transmission. So both were removed. It's obvious about the front one but can the back one also be damaged? The place for the final answer was B & J transmissions in SLC. They gave it a clean bill of health. Back to reinstall it and replace the front one.  To replace them and do the hook up of all the items that were removed to get that deep requires a few hours. Then the usual pre race procedure starts and that is several more hours.

Monday morning.
The transmissions have been installed. They are half way thru the reassembly process and it's 10:30 in the morning. Still 3-4 hours before it's possible to head to the starting line. I'll be there when they get in line to run. This morning is high overcast and a gentle breeze. The long course was re-groomed overnight. Maybe it will be easier to get traction and a smoother ride. When I know I'll tell You. 

Course condition? I  had a call from the timing slip tower. Poteet just ran 429 MPH. Good course or bad course.....George did it again.

The car's picture and a story in the Wendover Times newspaper had a quarter of the front page.
Mind you, this is Bonneville Speed Week edition.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #2269 on: August 15, 2016, 04:47:01 PM »
Good luck to you guys. Hope you get it fixed. Mark.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #2270 on: August 15, 2016, 09:05:14 PM »
At least you are finding problems and fixing them.  That is an essential step in development that cannot be bypassed.  The time on the salt is not wasted.

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2271 on: August 16, 2016, 01:20:23 AM »
That photo smacks of Smokey Yunick!!!!! :-D

gkabbt

« Reply #2272 on: August 16, 2016, 08:56:13 AM »

Here is The Wendover Tines newspaper that Freud referred to.

Gregg

PS
Freud, REALLY good seeing you on the salt. Try to have the reunion next year so I can come back out!    Take care!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 08:58:01 AM by gkabbt »

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2273 on: August 16, 2016, 02:03:18 PM »
What's the latest Doc?. :cheers:

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2274 on: August 16, 2016, 02:10:15 PM »
Ran 350, Mike. Wayno

Offline Freud

« Reply #2275 on: August 16, 2016, 05:09:43 PM »
An annoying holdup this morning with the cool suit.

It didn't get fixed and Les drove w/o it..

Thanks to the patience of the starters, Jim and Ron,

we made the run. More later. I'm toast.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2276 on: August 17, 2016, 01:33:45 AM »
Pop, the last entry bottom right?. Is that the altitude?.
Thanks. Mike. :cheers:

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #2277 on: August 17, 2016, 01:55:05 AM »
Mike, It is the DA. Bonneville is about 4200msl :-o
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline Freud

« Reply #2278 on: August 17, 2016, 10:53:05 PM »
For tonight I will just show our time slip.

2-1/4         297.612 MPH
Mile 3        314.184
Mile 4        353.596
Mile 5        376.311
Exit Speed 385.463

That's the end of this play session.
Les Davenport has to go to work.

More later.........like after I get home.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Ryan Davenport

• New folks
« Reply #2279 on: August 21, 2016, 07:42:22 AM »
Videos from our 2016 SpeedWeek runs are now available on the Target 550 YouTube page.  Go to that page if you want to read the big long blabber text added to each video that tells the story of the run.  If you only want to look at the video without the blabber, below is the second run with the 385 mph exit speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC0L41M4OPM

Ryan