Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1810900 times)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #2235 on: July 27, 2016, 06:08:17 PM »
Better call Rob Freyvogal and get the number of the company that built the input shaft(s) for their car, they also do gears and they certainly would be better than the "stock" stuff. Might check the input shaft too.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #2236 on: July 27, 2016, 07:41:35 PM »
Or go back to short shifting!  :-D

See ya Speed Week!  :cheers: :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #2237 on: July 27, 2016, 08:05:19 PM »
Why are these cars doin gears, is it a weight/torque thing ??
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2238 on: July 27, 2016, 08:29:14 PM »
Why are these cars doin gears, is it a weight/torque thing ??
Two engine-4WD & Quickchanges. Sounds like they ate the spur gears.
  Sid.

Offline Freud

« Reply #2239 on: July 29, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »
I'll start with the Honda car. I asked no questions. Only 2 of the crew spoke any English.  The driver couldn't see so the took the body off.
I never saw them run. I saw the car on the course w/o the body panels. That cardboard was an attempt to limit the flying salt. Good Luck. One
hilarious happening. The took all the front end body panels off the Lexus push car and attached a push bar. They even had a fire bottle on the push bar.

Target 550: This was Facebook post that is the latest one.

The condition of the salt varies over the 11 miles that Mike Cook Jr has dragged. The drag gets down to a firm base. But at different places along the side of his International Course are areas where the bottom of your shoe stays clean. Other places a 1/2" of salt will build up as You walk. The fender wells on Jim Hume's Honda wagon remained very clean. 10 minutes at the car wash had it in great shape. By being careful and using towels on the floor we did no vacuuming on the inside. It has to pass his wife's inspection when he got home. A surprising number of grass hoppers and a few Praying Mantis‎. The sun was intense but under the white big top we were very comfortable. When we drove in Wednesday morning there was a belly dump trailer dropping a load of salt on the leeft side of Land's End. The trailer was high centered on the pile. We passed a tractor on our way out and there was already a front end loader attached to the truck. When we left the salt had been spread and the "pullers" were gone. It was bone dry at Land's End. With no water there one could see how deep the pot holes were that were covered with water when we were there in 2014. Mike Cooks course started only about 1/2 mile from Land's End and wen more Easterly than the SCTA Courses. I didn't pay any attention but I think the SCTA courses have to cross Mike's course. I did not go looking for the SCTA courses so I have no idea how they will work out. I assure You......it felt like Bonneville that we are accustomed to.  I hope it can remain this way for the immediate future.

The first run was a dandy. 359 MPH.  Some annoying problems. Couldn't see the tach. Chutes didn't deploy as desired. Salt from the front wheels ate the
front of the  rear wheel skirts.  That's about it.
Tueday morning start up ate the rear starter. It's way down in there. A parts run to SLC supplied the needed parts. Car back in the trailer ready for Wed morning run.

This report will be out of sequence. I don't have time to do much more than this. The limit on fotos and size is a problem. No, this is not my first post on Landracing.com. To make it easier check my Facebook account. Glenn Freudenberger.

The condition of the salt varies over the 11 miles that Mike Cook Jr has dragged. The drag gets down to a firm base. But at different places along the side of his International Course are areas where the bottom of your shoe stays clean. Other places a 1/2" of salt will build up as You walk. The fender wells on Jim Hume's Honda wagon remained very clean. 10 minutes at the car wash had it in great shape. By being careful and using towels on the floor we did no vacuuming on the inside. It has to pass his wife's inspection when he got home. A surprising number of grass hoppers and a few Praying Mantis. The sun was intense but under the white big top we were very comfortable. When we drove in Wednesday morning there was a belly dump trailer dropping a load of salt on the leeft side of Land's End. The trailer was high centered on the pile. We passed a tractor on our way out and there was already a front end loader attached to the truck. When we left the salt had been spread and the "pullers" were gone. It was bone dry at Land's End. With no water there one could see how deep the pot holes were that were covered with water when we were there in 2014. Mike Cooks course started only about 1/2 mile from Land's End and wen more Easterly than the SCTA Courses. I didn't pay any attention but I think the SCTA courses have to cross Mike's course. I did not go looking for the SCTA courses so I have no idea how they will work out. I assure You......it felt like Bonneville that we are accustomed to. I hope it can remain this way for the immediate future. These fotos are just to show the salt conditions in the pits and on the course.

The crew was on the Salt before 6 AM. Warm up, fuel up and load up. The plan was to run to the 5 mile marker and deploy the chutes. The course is locked down well before any car starts rolling but I was allowed to be in a better position to shoot the car with the chutes deployed. I was at the 5 1/2, sweating, shaking and rocking from foot to foot because my back was hurting.The course marshal where I was was Dan Warner. The horn toot would signal me that the run was started. I was peering toward the starting line and hadn't even located him yet when Dan tooted the horn again. What's this? Dan drove out to me and said, "get in." The run was aborted. We drove toward the starting line and about the two the car was stationary in the middle of the course. The chutes were deployed and still on the salt. There was apparent damage to the wheel fairings from the salt thrown by the front wheels. That was nothing new. When the car was back in the pits something wasn't right. When the drive line that parallels the side of the body turned the front wheels would rotate but not the rear. They went deeper an deeper until the back cover of the quick change was accessible. When the cover came off it was apparent there was a problem. Chips were every where. They slid the quick change gears off and a dentists nightmare was exposed: NO TEETH. It is possible that the car hit a bump and the back wheels came up and dropped. The teeth couldn't take the hit. Marlo bought the best gears he could buy when the drive was assembled. Maybe there are better ones available now. Let's hope so. Maybe no gears will tolerate that abuse. Every effort possible will be done to be ready for Speed Week. In 2 weeks we will know. I'll attach a foto of the gears and the cover plate. At this time if You read this You will know as much as I do. Save your questions for when The Prophet is here to answer them. Thanks for your interest. FREUD.

Oh Ya, whoever suggested that a file would fix these, bring your file and come on down.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 04:01:46 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #2240 on: July 29, 2016, 06:08:49 PM »
Thankyou for the report Freud  :cheers:

Geeezzze that salts lookin good  8-)
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2241 on: July 29, 2016, 08:24:09 PM »
  Now might be a good time to see if the Cryo treatment is a fact or a myth.
Bob Drury

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #2242 on: July 29, 2016, 08:41:00 PM »
Thanks Doc.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2243 on: July 30, 2016, 03:54:22 AM »
Thank you.
Sorry to hear about the mishap.

Offline Ryan Davenport

• New folks
« Reply #2244 on: August 01, 2016, 08:49:28 PM »
Videos from the July Cook LSS Test & Tune runs are now available on the Target 550 YouTube page.  The video below shows the 360 mph test pass.  On the YouTube page, you can find the second run where the quick change gears failed around 210 mph.  That second video shows only the parachute view - the computer failed to save the run data and the video operator (me) failed to operate the video.  Oh well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejsURwbjpD0

Ryan

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2245 on: August 01, 2016, 11:32:19 PM »
  Pretty darn cool.  One thing that seems a little odd to Me.  the chute that wasn't damaged seemed to be trailing at a pretty high altitude.  Maybe its just the camera angle or maybe that's normal for that long of a tag line.  Thanx Ryan
Bob Drury

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #2246 on: August 02, 2016, 04:07:46 AM »
Great video! Watched is several times at work last night. I think the highest throttle position was 46% bofore it malfunctioned. 359mph hell yes this thing has way more in it for sure!!!

Offline tauruck

« Reply #2247 on: August 02, 2016, 08:51:52 AM »
Yup, that was a just a "test".
I like what I saw. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Finallygotit

« Reply #2248 on: August 02, 2016, 10:15:33 AM »
When those motors start hitting ~4,800 rpm and above, the crescendo gives me goosebumps!!

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:
Dan
Tucson, AZ

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #2249 on: August 02, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »
Great video!
Shows a lot of promise if you can sort out that gear issue.

Can't wait to get some pictures of the car on the course.