Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1821198 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1710 on: January 25, 2013, 06:33:43 PM »
I think Freud's "afk" (away from keyboard) so I'll mention that I loaded the new post onto the server:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/206_finishing_touches_carrier_&_power_package/index.html

Some really cool stuff involving the car carrier and breather hoses.

Check it out,
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 09:40:43 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #1711 on: January 29, 2013, 05:56:22 AM »
     Great ideas there.  Always so much easier when parts and tools are within easy reach.  No wasted time searching for the lost or sorting the mixed up.  Best of all for the more "experienced" generation - no extra stretching or having to bend over.

Thanks to all involved for sharing.

Ed

Offline Freud

« Reply #1712 on: February 02, 2013, 03:10:27 PM »
All I talk about is Tail.

It's the same this time.

Here is the url: http://www.target550.com/gallery/207_riveting_tail_skin_to_subframe/index0004.html

FREUD
Since '63

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #1713 on: February 02, 2013, 03:22:00 PM »
WOW, looks like Joe Amo's and the Guppy. I think they are on to something. :wink:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #1714 on: February 03, 2013, 12:22:45 PM »
Oops!  I gave Freud the wrong link address.  The correct on is:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/207_riveting_tail_skin_to_subframe/index.html

Sorry for the confusion.

Offline SLCMike

• New folks
« Reply #1715 on: February 04, 2013, 01:38:24 PM »
I think we should offically change Rays name to RayTheRatta Tat Tat. It's got a ring to it! :  :-D

Offline Freud

« Reply #1716 on: February 10, 2013, 02:08:41 AM »
There will be a new post on www.target550.com before noon, Sunday February 10th.

We will also post the url on Landracing.com

Freud and Ray
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1717 on: February 10, 2013, 12:52:44 PM »
There are two topics in today's post.

The first relates to the almost finished tail section

and the second is Marlo Treit's visit with Danny Thompson.

The url is :  http://www.target550.com/gallery/208_tail_danny_thompson/index.html

Take a look.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #1718 on: February 10, 2013, 01:58:39 PM »
I think we should offically change Rays name to RayTheRatta Tat Tat. It's got a ring to it! :  :-D

I think Jim Hume deserves the "ratta-tat-tat" moniker cuz of all the rivets he's pounded into the liner.  I can't imagine doing all that riveting.  You'd think it'd give ya a headache or something.  :)

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1719 on: February 10, 2013, 02:18:35 PM »
I bet it would have been interesting to hear the conversation between Danny and Marlo. Two very dedicated racers going after the same goal with similar but very different approaches. Danny is working in Steve Davis' shop in Huntington beach and is pretty much doing everything himself, and I mean everything, fabrication, running for parts and material and then spending what few hours he can searching for some sponsorship money. Danny is a great fabricator and racer but he will admit that he is not the promoter that his dad was so asking people for money does not come as easily for him. Steve Davis is obviously very involved as the car has been in his shop for at least two years and Steve has done most of the "re" engineering of the car to update and improve it. He designed the new steering system to eliminate the original "wagon" steering.

Both great efforts and both deserving of success.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1720 on: February 10, 2013, 02:59:45 PM »
Rex, you are correct in many instances. Danny is dedicated and he slave drives himself.

Those two people respect each other. It was a no holds bared chat. Both asked questions

and both gave immediate answers. They never held back. Marlo left there with an amazing

amount of respect for Danny and he also knows what a monumental task he has ahead of him.

We appreciate Danny's invitation to come visit him. I believe that his shop will be a mandatory

stop anytime we are in the LA basin. The same invitation is extended to him if he comes to Oregon.

I'm still impressed by that dual purpose Yoder.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1721 on: February 10, 2013, 04:26:38 PM »
Rex, you are correct in many instances. Danny is dedicated and he slave drives himself.

Those two people respect each other. It was a no holds bared chat. Both asked questions

and both gave immediate answers. They never held back. Marlo left there with an amazing

amount of respect for Danny and he also knows what a monumental task he has ahead of him.

We appreciate Danny's invitation to come visit him. I believe that his shop will be a mandatory

stop anytime we are in the LA basin. The same invitation is extended to him if he comes to Oregon.

I'm still impressed by that dual purpose Yoder.

FREUD

Freud,

Dual LSR legends and dual Yoders = dual drool factors! I made need an IV soon with all this fluid loss!  :-o

Here's a local dual Yoder that came off a WWII aircraft carrier. I pester the owner about giving some classes - I need a new ashtray!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Freud

« Reply #1722 on: February 11, 2013, 02:06:41 AM »
These hammers remind me of a harp. They are big and hard to move.

In the hands of an artist they produce beautiful music.

Each piece must require an equal amount of practice to achieve with it.

The good ones were manufactured a long time ago.

Most bands and shops don't have one.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1723 on: February 11, 2013, 01:34:48 PM »
Yoder hammers were how the difficult parts of WWII airplanes were made and many of the guys that ran them at Douglas, Lockheed and Northrop aircraft during those years went on to become some pretty good car fabricators. I was honored to know Don Borth, who had two Yoders in his shop and could make anything~!~~! Not many of those guys left.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1724 on: February 11, 2013, 01:56:10 PM »
It seems to me to be an art that is not used as much now as in the past.

There is so much outside knowledge that is needed. Coulton Hardison, ( colton5k@hotmail.com )

who worked at Steve's Auto Restoration in Portland, could tell the difference between two sheets

of aluminum from different batches. He is young as compared to people of the WWII

era.  I would almost call it a lost art. No doubt about it.......it's a skill that involves

a feel for the metal and an idea of how much you can change a certain piece of metal. I imagine

that they look at a project, formulate a plan and get started. It's expensive to make a mistake.

That material runs into money.

It's definitely a hands on talent.

Thanks for the info Rex. It makes todays use of a big hammer very unique.

Check this out:  http://target550.com/gallery/35_steve%27s_auto_restoration_panel_fabricating_and_employees/035_23_jpg.html

FREUD

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 02:00:13 PM by Freud »
Since '63