Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1810892 times)

Offline rgn

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1545 on: September 05, 2012, 07:19:26 PM »
That certainly looks like a nice part of the world...   Have an enjoyable break, and don't go pulling any stitches pushing that mower around...  :cheers:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #1546 on: September 09, 2012, 01:23:22 PM »
Since there is a break in the action here . . .

The plan now is to do the first tests at the Mojave Mile the last weekend in September. Marlo bought new 250 MPH tires,

had them mounted and shaved to use when they do the "destructive" type testing on that strip. Any problems will be

addressed over the winter.

The only thing missing from the testing sequence will be the smell of NITRO.

FREUD
The Mojave Mile is September 29-30. Ok, so the stated plan is to drive 2,000 miles to do some low speed testing. Not a bad plan.
See how everything works, or doesn't work, fix it over the winter and then go racing.

Hmmm. What if everything goes smoooooth . . . Maybe on Plan B we could take a little jog on the way home and show up three days later at the world finals?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1547 on: September 09, 2012, 03:27:43 PM »
Marlo has several blower cases that have been coated at FinishLine Coating in Milwaukee, Oregon.

The man that services the Whipples is in Fresno ( I think that's correct) So the cases have to be returned to

him to reassemble since he checked the rotors. Marlo and Dick Milne will drive the cases down to him, wait while

he reassembles them and bring the finished product back to Hume's place. The blowers that are presently on the car will

be replaced with the serviced units. The reason they are being replaced is because they do not have the drains plumbed into the cases.

With the blowers on their side, following the dyno runs it was decided to install drains as an insurance policy in case there was

any fuel in the bottom of the case. That eliminates a Fourth of July fireworks display when firing them up. Hume is finishing the door

and releases for the drag chutes. Now that our grand daughter is safely married I can reestablish my travel schedule to Hume's shop.

As far as a detour to the Shootout..............No way.  It's not the distance that is the problem. They will do a fine toothed comb inspection

before ever extending the car to the point of greater speeds.

The floow of the trailer was not designed to support all the weight of the car and the carrier in just four places so the floor was been

removed, new cross members and stringers installed and the floor replaced. It's just about completed.

So......hang in there with us.  Ray is challenging the 130 Club at WoS and he needs some slack before we do a new post but for certain

we will have a post on this coming Friday.

No one stole the goats. They wandered two miles down the road and devoured all the tomatoes in the garden and the ripening apples

on both trees.  ( Goats can climb trees.)  I'm happy they came back but the damages we paid were substantial. Had I known they were

coming back I would have waited for them to return instead of doing the mowing with the push mower.

More to come soon,

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1548 on: September 11, 2012, 04:59:52 PM »
  ......... for those of you wondering why Glenn suddenly can't type on a keyboard, he recently had the last digit of his middle finger removed.
  While he claims it was a "cancer deal", I happen to know as fact that while he was "flipping off a fellow driver, his elbow was pushing the power window button, resulting in the catasthrophic event which followed.
  Feel no pity, for this was a "pre-ordained" directive from the Heaven's above... and when you next see him picking his nose (buried up to the second digit), know that he is in reality only "buried to the first digit".
  With love and admiration,                 One Run, out.........................
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #1549 on: September 13, 2012, 01:48:21 PM »
Our usual post pattern will be in effect this week. Ray is preparing to return to the salt on Friday

afternoon so he will likely do the post announcement Friday AM.

Thanks for your interest.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1550 on: September 13, 2012, 03:44:42 PM »
Our usual post pattern will be in effect this week. Ray is preparing to return to the salt on Friday

afternoon so he will likely do the post announcement Friday AM.

Thanks for your interest.

FREUD

Lets see who's been paying attention. who can identify what area of the liner the photo depicts??
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline jdincau

« Reply #1551 on: September 13, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »
cockpit steering area
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #1552 on: September 13, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »
The steering shaft runs right-to-left to the black steering box.
The output arm on the steering box is attached to the hydraulic cylinder at the bottom of the photo.
The cylinder ports run through the manifold on the bottom left. The polished fittings turn 90 degrees. The hoses are attached to the fittings.
The bottom of the air pressure gauges are visible. Two of the three fire bottle cables are visible.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1553 on: September 13, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
Tough crowd! :cheers:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1554 on: September 13, 2012, 09:50:32 PM »
Super tough :cheers: :cheers:
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Freud

« Reply #1555 on: September 13, 2012, 10:00:29 PM »
Great job, Dean.

I owe you a beer.

Someone has been paying attention to earlier chapters.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1556 on: September 13, 2012, 11:50:51 PM »
If you get the notices of a new post for Target550.com from Landracing.com you are about 10 hours ahead of

everyone else. I have a lot to do in the morning and so I am announcing Post 189 right now.

But once again Ray Therat has the hammer. He is the one that puts it on the web and I think it

will be Friday AM for that to happen.

Anyhow here is the link: http://www.target550.com/gallery/189_getting_ready_for_testing/index.html

9:09 PM Thursday. Ray has already posted the images. Jump on 'em.

Next weeks post will be done from images that I have shot in the past and didn't use.

I plan to describe the instrument panel the way it was when I shot the fotos.

Todays post will show a major difference from the way the panel was designed.

Have fun.

FREUD
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:10:50 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1557 on: September 14, 2012, 09:42:40 AM »
Thanks for the post. I was starting to go through withdraws. gitting all shaky and such.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #1558 on: September 14, 2012, 10:11:34 AM »
Hmmm....caught me off guard.  I hadn't posted the remaining files...I spent most of the day yesterday gettin my Burb cleaned and ready to get salty again when I go back for the Shootout.

But everything's there now.  Here's an excellent photo of the internals of the liner....sorta like a vehicular colonoscopy...well, maybe not exactly, but it's what I thought of when I saw the photo.   :-D

And one more that I like just for the lines, shapes and color.  Maybe I otta pretend I'm an abstract artist rather than a photographer.  Hmmmm....

Check out the reflection in the tank (not an M1A1) on the right side.  Pretty kool.

Ok.  I got a buncha stuff to do before I leave.  I gotta get with it.

(Yes, I'm a little goofier than usual.  I'm totally burned out.)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #1559 on: September 14, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
Did you have inspectors look at the vehicle at Bonneville? Is any of the work a result of that?

Reference pic 189-016 where the slot in the belly pan is being machined.
The ummmm . . . hacks among us would have drilled a hole in the pan and then tilted the jig saw and then filed like mad to clean it up.
It's on the bottom - no one will see it - right?

Analysis of the photo shows that the clamps - that's the things with the big nuts - have a piece of aluminum underneath to not mar the surface.
Notice the location of the left clamp. Right where the machining is taking place. On a thin panel the cutting tool wants to shove the material around. The closer the clamp the less of a problem. It's also under the no hurry - no worry rule.

The blue under the cutter is Dykem Steel Blue. You can't see scribe marks on metal unless you put Dykem on first.
The brass shaft above the cutter is an air-coolant mist. Cutting aluminum is kinda like machining bubble gum. It sticks to the cutter unless you have coolant.

Slightly off subject:
The number designation for aluminum alloys indicates the alloying elements that give the aluminum certain properties.
6061 you see frequently. 6061 can be machined easily and can be hardened. It has silicon, iron, copper, magnesium, manganese, chrome, zinc and titanium in minute quantities to obtain those properties.

Speaking of machining bubble gum you haven't lived until you have machined 1000 aluminum. Not 1050 or 1100, but chemically pure aluminum. It was used as a target in vapor deposition. I think machining bubble gum may have been easier.