Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1810844 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1500 on: August 29, 2012, 10:27:25 PM »
I'd like to take a minute or two from my pre-WoS thrash to 1) thank Lynda for her wise counsel and 2) mention that pretty darned soon we're gonna get a chance to see (those of us who can make it to the Mojave Mile) it run.  (And add a few words about my own race car.)

Without regard to anyone's past accomplishments (as a rider, driver, builder or visionary), it would be a wonderful thing to see this beautiful piece of art and craftsmanship come to life and move under its own power.  Period.  Frankly, I'm having a hard time being patient until that time comes, even though I'll have my own racing to do before that happens. 

Maybe that's a little bit of what's going on here.  From looking at the Target 550 website statistics, I can tell that there are a lot more people looking in on this project since it was on display at Speed Week.  Freud and I have been pretty close to it for the last few years and of course Marlo and Hume and Les for quite a while longer.  But that's coming to a conclusion.  The building phase is just about over.  And if other folks are as anxious to see it run in person as I am or see photos of it (there will be more than one camera pointed at it, that's for sure) and its trial runs...well, that might just explain a little bit of the jitters.  I know I'm jittery.

As far as asking questions, I don't see that as wrong at all.  I'll be happy to answer things when and if I can.  I know Freud's done a masterful job of creating the images and the descriptive text that has accompanied them.  And when questions have come up, he's gone to the source to get the answers.  We really do try our best to answer any questions put before us.  Sometimes the answer might be, "that hasn't been announced yet," but it's still an answer.  :-D  Name-calling and other forms of unpleasantness are probably best kept to a minimum.  Yeah, I know.  SSS is the moderator, but I'm saying it, anyway.

I'm gonna change the subject for a second and mention that I've been thrashing to get my race car, which was a 130 Club car and is now to be a 150 Club car rebuilt after a psycho driveshaft from h*ll destroyed everything between the rear axle and the engine block.  Just yesterday we got it on the rebuilt trailer which now has a much improved ramp mounting system and we broke down and bought a winch to draw the car onto the trailer.  I have to admit that I'm not the best at driving onto a trailer that's at most 18" wider than the car, especially when I can't see where the car's going.  The winch was something we should have done in the first place...but apparently we had to learn the hard way.

So today I took the car to have a roll cage (or at least a 150-Club-legal B-pillar hoop and bracing) installed only to find that the guy who was gonna do it was 3 weeks behind in other stuff and couldn't do it.  So I had to make a buncha phone calls, call in a favor or two and I should have a Jeg's 12-point kit here by Saturday and then have, if nothing else, the 150 Club-required portion of it installed Tuesday morning.  I sure hope it works out that way, because I leave for the salt the following day to get set up and do photo coverage for this site.  As the old joke goes, "Go ahead!  Give it a turn!  I work better under pressure!"   

Seems to be a normal pre-meet thrash.  If ya wanna see what I've been rambling about, the coverage of the salt racing with my car (85 Monte Carlo SS, 406 smallblock) is here:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/85monte/85monte28.html  There are about 9 pages and photos of my own build diary there...at least the parts going back to 2011 and our minor difficulties.  (Minor, my Asston-Martin.)

Now I'm gonna go out to the garage and try to do some of the stuff I can at the moment.  And I'll try to be patient while waiting for the Target 550 liner to run at Mojave.  Ohh...and if I don't break the car this year, maybe I can run it at Mojave, too.

Back to your normally scheduled discussion of that marvelous streamliner and all that relates to it.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1501 on: August 29, 2012, 11:14:52 PM »
I'm not hiding out from this thrash. I've had some surgery done and it may still be a while before I contribute very much.

Thanks for the interest so many people show in this project. I chose to IGNORE some posts and can truthfully say

"I don't know what's going on."

Many of you will probably agree with me on that revelation.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #1502 on: August 29, 2012, 11:48:36 PM »
Ok back to your regularly scheduled program.

Freud and the gang, I am interested in any special tools that have been fabricated to easy repair/maintance when in the battle!

I see alot of small hard to reach places. Reminds me alot of my days as an Aviation Structual Mechanic (AMS) working "O" level on A-7E's.

Please supply any pics, and pics of the tool box/trailer etc, etc.

As a youngster I was taught the importance of organization and tool control. You only need one ass chewing by the maintance Master Chief to understand tool control! Keep up the good work!!! 
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline Tman

« Reply #1503 on: August 30, 2012, 12:13:12 AM »
Bob, after your last post, just shut up. I like you but your blowhole is on overdrive this week.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1504 on: August 30, 2012, 12:41:13 AM »
  Tman, I respect both your posts and opinion and just to update you, Diesel and I have been engaged in a off line discussion initiated by him that hopefully has not only ended our on site tug of war but hopefully started a meaningful off-site friendship.
  I am as guilty as most of provoking arguement, it unforunatley is my nature, and I certainly have not meant to offend you or anyone else, sometimes I forget to let others talk............
                                             Bob  :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #1505 on: August 30, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »
  Tman, I respect both your posts and opinion and just to update you, Diesel and I have been engaged in a off line discussion initiated by him that hopefully has not only ended our on site tug of war but hopefully started a meaningful off-site friendship.
  I am as guilty as most of provoking arguement, it unforunatley is my nature, and I certainly have not meant to offend you or anyone else, sometimes I forget to let others talk............

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

RtR

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1506 on: August 30, 2012, 01:41:14 AM »
... Is Marlo (or Marlowe) a member of these forums?...
No answers to a legitimate question?

Bob Drury- are you not able to "read" these facial expressions?
:-D :-D :-D
:roll: :roll: :roll:
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #1507 on: August 30, 2012, 07:28:08 AM »
Were there any problems with the load and unload of the liner? Were there any problems with the "dolly" and moving it with the liner suspended around on the salt? If problems were identifed what were the solutions? I think that has been one of the interesting points of this thread, watching the solutions that were implimented. There are people that are interested is ALL aspects of this endeavor.

Oh yea, in the tool box do you have any mouth zippers? Or possibly some keyboard glue? At times seems alittle of both is called for around here.
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline SLCMike

• New folks
« Reply #1508 on: August 30, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
 Ray, I don't know you except from this forum. I live in Farmington and would happy to assist you to get your car ready if needed. I am a kack of all trades (master of none).  Let me know if you need an extra hand.  Back to the subjecct at hand.  I was at Speed week and got to see Treaits car up close.  Being an old aircraft sheet metal mechanic I have to say I have a man crush on the liner.  It wouldn't matter if it ever ran or set a record, the workmanship is just beautiful.  I know the immense amount of thought/planning and layout that has gone into this.  It harrd for me to even fathom the amount of work and unwaivering commitmant it has takento get to this point.  I salute Marlow and his entire group, I hope to be like them when I grow up.  I don't think I can swing Mojave but I want/need to see Treits car run as soon as I can. Lastly, "can't we all just get allong ".  :cheers:

SLCMike

Offline SLCMike

• New folks
« Reply #1509 on: August 30, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
I should have spell checked that, Jack of all trades and Treit. :-P

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #1510 on: August 30, 2012, 12:25:32 PM »
Ray, I don't know you except from this forum. I live in Farmington and would happy to assist you to get your car ready if needed. I am a jack of all trades (master of none).  Let me know if you need an extra hand.  Back to the subject at hand.  I was at Speed week and got to see Treit's car up close.  Being an old aircraft sheet metal mechanic I have to say I have a man crush on the liner.  It wouldn't matter if it ever ran or set a record, the workmanship is just beautiful.  I know the immense amount of thought/planning and layout that has gone into this.  It harrd for me to even fathom the amount of work and unwavering commitment it has taken to get to this point.  I salute Marlow and his entire group, I hope to be like them when I grow up.  I don't think I can swing Mojave but I want/need to see Treit's car run as soon as I can. Lastly, "can't we all just get along ".  :cheers:

SLCMike

We won't sweat the spelling errors.  Matter of fact, we'll just fix 'em.  :)

I'm at the point where I'm waiting for the roll cage kit.  Jeg's told me Saturday.  Fedex tracking is now telling me Tuesday.  It might still work.  I'm gonna send ya a PM with a phone number.  We may wanna look into installing the new spindles.

Course if ya wanna volunteer for pit crew duty, you'd be very welcome there, too.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1511 on: August 30, 2012, 12:54:33 PM »

Sounds good, we all want to see Les and Marlo achieve success with this!

Offline DallasV

« Reply #1512 on: August 30, 2012, 01:00:01 PM »
I think we should all hold hands now and sing kumbaya.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline SLCMike

• New folks
« Reply #1513 on: August 30, 2012, 01:13:03 PM »
DallasV, you just had to go there.  You know what I meant! :-D

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1514 on: August 30, 2012, 01:23:44 PM »
I think we should all hold hands now and sing kumbaya.

Good one Dallas.  :cheers:   Now I need to clean the coffee off the keyboard.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.