Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1820937 times)

Offline dieselgeek

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1455 on: August 22, 2012, 05:16:35 PM »

You forget one thing Grasshopper..................Marlo and Les spent years already refining their program with their lakester. They know what they are doing.

They ran belt and gear driven dual engine 4wd in a lakester??  where did I miss this!!

No but the worked out their engine program, their blower issues and many of the logistics of going big speeds.

That makes good sense.  Thanks tman.

I know these guys are pros, but a part of me does not understand bringing the car to the salt just for demonstration, I never viewed Speedweek as a social gathering or car show.   To me, the showmanship should come after the performance - otherwise, it seems they're setting unrealisticly high expectations. 

Don't take it the wrong way (some clearly will), I just want to see the car out there and running.   Show me the workmanship in impound!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1456 on: August 22, 2012, 05:48:31 PM »
  Diesel, I am neither trying to rile you or provoke your responses, nor am I in anyway connected with this race car.
  I have tried to follow the old axiom: there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
  Saying that, I feel (and apologize if mistaken) that you take great pride in being a "devils advocate" or possibly just want to see how far you can push before someone explodes.
  Speeking as a fairly knowledgable non member of the car, I have tried to patiently answer your questions in a way that most anyone can understand (and you seem very inquisitive and knowledgable).
  There are several mechanical engineers who frequent this site and are amazed at the amount of engineering, research and forthought that has been put into this car.
  Marlo has worked with engineers from Gates Rubber who are confident their belts can take the stress.
  Moreover, it would be fairly simple to convert the belt drive to chain or even gears if neccessary.
  If you have legitimate questions, it is your right to ask them, but to downplay the display of a unfinished masterpiece that was viewed with relish by probably 90% of those in attendance is degrading to not only the viewers of this site but to you your self.
  I am certainly no expert, but I am at a loss as to what you hope to gain with your insistant negativism in regards to this project.
  Perhaps propeller's are more to your liking.        Bob Drury (360) 696-1428  any time day or night.
Bob Drury

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #1457 on: August 22, 2012, 05:59:18 PM »
I can see value to the fact that they did a live load and unload test in the actual environment the car will be run in.
They got to set up the tent structure and do the trailer off load and on load several times. I know there were some lessons learned during that process because I remember a couple comments about needing to remember an issue to make appropriate changes.

That said Bonneville has always in my experience been a bit of a car show, some of the spectator cars are as spectacular as the race cars.
Many of us spend as much time checking out the spectator and pit support cars as we do the race cars.

Like many I was thankful that we got to see this piece in a relaxed environment where they were not in a thrash to get it on the course and running.
Not to mention that as I understand it the car was built to FIA standards for world records and will not run under SCTA rules.

Larry
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:02:32 PM by hotrod »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1458 on: August 22, 2012, 05:59:36 PM »

Re: 15,000 horsepower, I know for a fact if you show up with that much power the only thing that will happen is broken parts and slipping tires....  I sense a lot of fanboyism and unrealistic expectations.  I may not have been coming to the salt for the last 300 years like some of you, but I know for sure they better show up with the right amount of power - not too much, not too little.  

You are correct about the 15,000 HP and that is not realistic. I will be the first to admit I am a big fan of this liner. I have known Marlo since sometime in the 1980's, and can remember him telling me if he could ever get Hume to build a liner he would not hesitate and go for it.

This liner started some 14 or so years ago, and I appreciate the fact that Marlo and crew brought the car to Bonneville for a show and tell. Is there a better way for one to display their car that is not quite ready to run than to take it to an event and let it be judged by its competitors and peers?

I am sure it will have some gremlins as all new cars do. But the big difference in this car is the major players have been playing on the salt for many years. Most if not all of Marlo's records with the Lakester have been surpassed and therefore not in the rule book anymore. So to someone who is fairly new at Bonneville (last 5 years) would not have seen many if any of Marlo's records in the rulebook.

Trust me when I say Horsepower will be no problem. They will be able to produce as much that is needed to get the job done. Les Davenport is a genius when it comes to motors. You may have never heard of him but he has been a top tuner in the NHRA Alcohol Classes for years, and has even written a program for tuning that most all of the Alcohol racers use. Les can also whittle anything out of aluminum or whatever material you need with his CNC machines. He also currently runs a car at the Nostalgia Drags in A/F that has beat Kin Bates whose tuner is Dean Adams, son of Gene Adams.  

I started to chuckle at Bonneville when one old timer said " It is a beautiful car, but 10 years in-behind in technology".  I knew what he meant, as he was speaking of electronics. I personally like the KISS method, and the Driver actually driving the car.

Bottom line, this is Bonneville where there are no cookie cutter cars for the most part, and that is what makes this so attractive.

Tom G.

PS. A few issues did arise at Bonneville that can now being addressed, so all is good.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:07:43 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1459 on: August 22, 2012, 06:04:35 PM »
I can see value to the fact that they did a live load and unload test in the actual environment the car will be run in.
They got to set up the tent structure and do the trailer off load and on load several times. I know there were some lessons learned during that process because I remember a couple comments about needing to remember an issue to make appropriate changes.

That said Bonneville has always in my experience been a bit of a car show, some of the spectator cars are as spectacular as the race cars.
Many of us spend as much time checking out the spectator and pit support cars as we do the race cars.

Like many I was thankful that we got to see this piece in a relaxed environment where they were not in a thrash to get it on the course and running.
Not to mention that as I understand it the car was built to FIA standards for world records and will not run under SCTA rules.

Larry

Good point on the load testing. I had not thought of that part.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1460 on: August 22, 2012, 06:06:05 PM »
 Diesel, I am neither trying to rile you or provoke your responses, nor am I in anyway connected with this race car.
  I have tried to follow the old axiom: there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.
  Saying that, I feel (and apologize if mistaken) that you take great pride in being a "devils advocate" or possibly just want to see how far you can push before someone explodes.
  Speeking as a fairly knowledgable non member of the car, I have tried to patiently answer your questions in a way that most anyone can understand (and you seem very inquisitive and knowledgable).
  There are several mechanical engineers who frequent this site and are amazed at the amount of engineering, research and forthought that has been put into this car.
  Marlo has worked with engineers from Gates Rubber who are confident their belts can take the stress.
  Moreover, it would be fairly simple to convert the belt drive to chain or even gears if neccessary.
  If you have legitimate questions, it is your right to ask them, but to downplay the display of a unfinished masterpiece that was viewed with relish by probably 90% of those in attendance is degrading to not only the viewers of this site but to you your self.
  I am certainly no expert, but I am at a loss as to what you hope to gain with your insistant negativism in regards to this project.
  Perhaps propeller's are more to your liking.        Bob Drury (360) 696-1428  any time day or night.

I'm not downplaying anything about this car, except the expectations of guys like you who act as though it already went 550mph.  It's a beautiful build, I have stated that many times, so I do not understand your response.  All I am asking are realistic questions.

I also fail to see any negativism - those who know me, know I'd come running to help if this car needed so much as a toothpick or piece of duct tape to run it's pre-stated 550mph number.  

And as a person who's helped achieve a number of records on the salt, versus playing armchair quarterback or swinging from the appendages of others, I take offense at your comparison of me to Franklin Ratliffe.  

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1461 on: August 22, 2012, 06:08:30 PM »
And thank you to tman, desotoman and hotrod for not feeling the need to break out the Franklin comparisons.  I do agree, a load / unload test is a good idea.   So many of us have gotten out there to find out "we can't get this D*MN  thing off or on the trailer"    :-D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 06:11:37 PM by dieselgeek »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1462 on: August 22, 2012, 06:12:23 PM »
There has been several upgrades including the front drive hubs and other changes that take time.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Tman

« Reply #1463 on: August 22, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »
And thank you to tman, desotoman and hotrod for not feeling the need to break out the Franklin comparisons.  I do agree, a load / unload test is a good idea.   So many of us have gotten out there to find out "we can't get this D*MN  thing off or on the trailer"    :-D

Can't offend you, h.ll I may need your help tuning down the line since you are close! :-D

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1464 on: August 22, 2012, 06:31:11 PM »
  Diesel, if you take offense to what I have said, so be it.  
  If your armchair reference was about me, I have been to Speedweek for the last eighteen years.
  Previosly I drag raced and worked on Top Fuel, and Alcohol Dragsters and a Nostalgia Gas Supercharged car.
  Negativity? re-read any of your last six or seven posts, and while you are at it reread mine.
  My only statement about speed was to say that the length of the shutdown area is questionable for any fast (400 and up) vehicle on the salt. Thats the main reason the Burkland's have parked their 450 mph streamliner.
  Perhaps my interpretation of your responses is incorrect, I will leave that for others to judge (although most of them lack the balls to speak up).
  Although I have never set a record on the salt, I designed, built, and paid for every part of my car except the paint, so if I may be so indulgent as to use your term "swinging from the appendages of others", please list your real name and the cars you helped set records for the rest of us..................  and with that I will allow you to keep swinging your bat at will, because I not only can't understand your logic (or is it humor)? but at a certain point it becomes nothing more than a pissing match with no winner's.
  As to your Franklin reference, I didn't make that statement, it's merely in the eyes of the beholder.......................  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1465 on: August 22, 2012, 07:17:20 PM »
  Although I have never set a record on the salt, I designed, built, and paid for every part of my car except the paint

Forget my accomplishments Bob, I just wanna hear more about this free paint job!  

:cheers:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:31:36 PM by dieselgeek »

Offline rgn

« Reply #1466 on: August 22, 2012, 07:41:12 PM »
This project means a lot to me.  This vehicle is a thing of beauty, of scale, inspirational in every respect.  I look forward to Fridays, sometimes having to contain my disappointment when Freud announces that this weeks post will be a little late.  I want to see it in person, pat it, and meet the good natured crew, who are sharing their epic human and engineering journey, and in doing so inspiring the next generation of land racers.

This group of people asks nothing in return, they share unconditionally, they are supportive of others, good humored, good natured, and to my mind the world needs more of it.  Thanks to all involved.   :cheers:

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #1467 on: August 22, 2012, 07:58:38 PM »
Diesel, there are 1,466 posts on this topic, 370 on the original thread, and 186 pages of photos.

You would do well to take the time to read the posts and check out all of the pictures and then ask questions.

The answers are out there.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1468 on: August 22, 2012, 08:02:13 PM »
A lot will hit the ignore button if the attitude continues.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1469 on: August 22, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »
Diesel, there are 1,466 posts on this topic, 370 on the original thread, and 186 pages of photos.

You would do well to take the time to read the posts and check out all of the pictures and then ask questions.

The answers are out there.

That's the problem, there are 1466 posts and most of them are guys who don't race oohing and aahhhing over the build.  Meanwhile, there are plenty of equivalent quality builds on the salt (Bob Drury even took the time to post in MY thread complaining about cars built to lesser standards not getting enough coverage, he should have started his own thread, then he brings us the ironic forum posts of the decade complaining that I am not giving enough credit where it's due - I'm not going to pretend to understand the psychological condition that makes a person behave like that).

Anyhow, I appreciate those who DID take the time to answer my questions without getting their panties in a bunch.  There are some great guys on the salt - most of them are racers, crew, or volunteers however.

I learned what I wanted to know, and I very much appreciate the skill and craftsmanship going into the Treit 'liner.  I just wish we could strip out all the fluffy pats on the back and ego stroking to get to the heart of the matter, which is:  getting that beast on the salt under its own power and seeing what she'll do.  Hopefully no Kling-Ons are harmed in the process  :-)
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:07:25 PM by dieselgeek »