Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1810871 times)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1440 on: August 21, 2012, 08:59:22 PM »
Thanks to the crew for the display and thanks for the tour, Freud!  :cheers:
It is truly a motorized, pinnacle of functional art!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1441 on: August 22, 2012, 01:53:30 AM »
Good to have a quick natter with you at ''The Exhibit'', Doc.....I managed to buttonhole Jason for a few minutes as well, and Shadowed Messrs Bjorkman and Kennedy as they recieved their quickie tour....

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1442 on: August 22, 2012, 02:21:11 AM »
The "fit and finish" certainly do appear to be supereb. But "fit" in a different sense is what so impressed me about the design- to squeeze it all into such a small frontal area. :-)
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1443 on: August 22, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
  Yep, and it all started on a napkin.
  I remember a few years back when Marlo was working on the design of the car "carrier" with Alan "OZ" Ozborne,  Marlo had allready cut his forty two foot gooseneck trailer in two and added ten or so feet, but their was no way to load the race car in the trailer.
  Marlo was sitting at his desk with a scale ruler and had drawn the trailer, fold down gate and cut out a "to scale" side view of the race car in the rolling four wheel steer carrier right down to the correct tire size.
  He then showed me how the race car and carrier should fit with a inch or two to spare!
  I started to tell him he was crazy, but he is immune from hearing that for over sixty years, and by God it did fit (with a inch or two to spare).              Bob
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:10:21 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1444 on: August 22, 2012, 02:49:43 PM »
Do you guys think it'll be ready for speedweek next year?

I know they're trying to build for simplicity (read the comments about anything electrical, with which I disagree by a lot), but I'm thinking two engines are going to be a real handful even without electrical concerns.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1445 on: August 22, 2012, 04:30:03 PM »
  First of all, drag racers have run up to four engines at a time (Ivo), LSR cars have also run up to four engines at a time (Herbert and Steen. Ernie Immerso, Mickey Thompson to name a few) and those broke farmers in Iowa have run at least six blown Hemi's at a time. (Ralph Gorr once told me that he went to a tractor pull to help a customer, and was amazed that no one pulled valve covers between pulls.  He also said it was a lot easier to work on them the first night because the second night you were working a foot deep in empty beer cans......................)  
  In the case of the Treit and Davenport car, the rear motor is run through a B&J air shifted four speed (as is the identical front motor), through a belt drive which connects two Gilmer (think Blower belts) connected to the multi piece drive shaft which runs about fifteen or so feet forward.
  Behind the belt drive the rear motor connects directly to the rear quick change.
  Meanwhile, as the multi piece drive shaft continues forward it ties into another identical gear/belt drive which transfers the power from the second B&J transmission to the same driveshaft.
  After passing the front motor, a third gear/belt drive transfers the power from the driveshaft to the center mounted front quickchange.
  This allows the car to be run as a two wheel rear drive, two wheel front drive or four wheel drive in any combination with either the rear motor only, the front motor only, or balls to the walls with both motors.
  See, its easy as pie.        Bob
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 04:42:07 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1446 on: August 22, 2012, 04:37:34 PM »
That sounds like a ton of hassles to me.   I'd be more afraid of flinging belts than electrons, but electrons on the salt are my specialty.  Just don't spill'em!

I seriously can't wait to see this car run, but I hope the builders (and fanboys, there seem to be a lot of 'em) are prepared for 4-5 years of debugging work.

How much horpsepower will it take to go 550mph in this?  (seems a lofty target!)  I know that the Spectre car needed around 2000hp for it's number just over 400mph.

One other question, does the Treit streamliner have a suspension, or is it rigid?

Offline Tman

« Reply #1447 on: August 22, 2012, 04:49:09 PM »

You forget one thing Grasshopper..................Marlo and Les spent years already refining their program with their lakester. They know what they are doing.

That sounds like a ton of hassles to me.   I'd be more afraid of flinging belts than electrons, but electrons on the salt are my specialty.  Just don't spill'em!

I seriously can't wait to see this car run, but I hope the builders (and fanboys, there seem to be a lot of 'em) are prepared for 4-5 years of debugging work.

How much horpsepower will it take to go 550mph in this?  (seems a lofty target!)  I know that the Spectre car needed around 2000hp for it's number just over 400mph.

One other question, does the Treit streamliner have a suspension, or is it rigid?

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1448 on: August 22, 2012, 04:51:12 PM »

You forget one thing Grasshopper..................Marlo and Les spent years already refining their program with their lakester. They know what they are doing.

They ran belt and gear driven dual engine 4wd in a lakester??  where did I miss this!!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1449 on: August 22, 2012, 05:03:48 PM »
  The big worry right now is having enough salt to stop the car.
  If needed the Whipple superchargers can put out in excess of 50 psi and on a liberal dose of Nitro, with twin 44 amp mags, could put out in excess of 15,000 horsepower.
  The tuner/driver is renownded World Wide, the owner is smarter than probably anyone you or I have ever met, and the crew are all well experienced with Blown motors from drag racing to unlimited Hydro's which run wide open for miles at a time.
  This car is the result of a fifteen year process involving the best manufacturers (Mark Williams, Keith Black, Art Whipple/Lysholm Superchargers, The Strassberg family (B&J) Bruce Crower, Mickey Thompson Tires, and has been constructed by one of the very best race car builders ever, Jim Hume.
  The only bad part is the lack of salt, but if neccesary, Marlo will float it to Australia where there are miles and miles of pristeen salt.
  Yes, sh*t can happen, but every detail has beeen researched including the drive shaft, which is built in (I believe) 32 inch sections because engineering data shows that any thing longer is subject to harmonics at high rpm.
  I am not a part of the team but I live and breath LSR and Nitro, and have been involved in drag racing/LSR for over fifty years, and have never seen anything built by the military that is better engineered or safe as this race car m abd uf anyine claims to have seen or been involved iwith anything better (other than NASA), they are full of sh*t, pure and simple.
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1450 on: August 22, 2012, 05:06:14 PM »
The Turbinator runs with belt drives 470 mph, the Phoenix has a belt drive, as do several others check your facts, it,s not anew concept and electrical problems can occur on anything.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #1451 on: August 22, 2012, 05:08:23 PM »
In an earlier post, I'd promised a mid-week post with the shots I got of the liner on display and also at the "sunrise shoot." 

Well, life (no, more important than that, racing...trying to get ready for WoS) has gotten in the way (not to mention a computer limping along with a "compromised" power supply) so I'm not gonna have that post until Friday...it'll be our regular weekly post...but it'll be a big one (that's one reason it's taking so long) and it should be an enjoyable one.  Here's one of the images that will be in it.

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1452 on: August 22, 2012, 05:08:48 PM »
'The Turbinator runs with belt drives 470 mph, the Phoenix has a belt drive, as do several others check your facts, it,s not anew concept and electrical problems can occur on anything. "

Check my facts?   that's why I am asking, so I can learn from this build.  I sense that some of you guys are a little too uptight about someone asking questions.  Calm down for crying out loud...   I didnt' even state "fact" but some of you guys are quick to jump my case.  I'm just asking questions.

Re: 15,000 horsepower, I know for a fact if you show up with that much power the only thing that will happen is broken parts and slipping tires....  I sense a lot of fanboyism and unrealistic expectations.  I may not have been coming to the salt for the last 300 years like some of you, but I know for sure they better show up with the right amount of power - not too much, not too little.  

Offline Freud

« Reply #1453 on: August 22, 2012, 05:12:21 PM »
They did not run a 4WD lakester.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Tman

« Reply #1454 on: August 22, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »

They ran belt and gear driven dual engine 4wd in a lakester??  where did I miss this!!

No but the worked out their engine program, their blower issues and many of the logistics of going big speeds.