Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811581 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1425 on: August 18, 2012, 02:26:41 PM »
This is what Freud was trying to show:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1426 on: August 18, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »
Thanks Dean. I just didn't have either time or energy to tie that together and the format in

our build diary wouldn't allow it anyhow.

Thanks for the image. I knew I had enough overlap to make it into a mural.

You are a mind reader even though there isn't a lot of mind to read.

FREUD
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:22:15 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1427 on: August 20, 2012, 05:08:34 PM »

The good news from my end is on the way home from retrieving my Golden Retreiver yesterday I stopped by Marlo's shop and he and Dickie were tucking the race car in for a nap.
  They both looked beat but happy.
  My only question (to myself) was where were all the local "starting line struters" who seem to disapear when its time to clean and put things away?
  Maybe they were chained up in the shop...................  Anyway, if nothing else happened, at least Marlo and I had a nice talk, which we both needed.
                                                  God Bless and I am so eternally gratefull for the end result and a couple of old racers talking on the same page again.
  As I told Marlo, the only thing that can stop this car now is lack of salt, so each and every one of us MUST continue to support SAVE THE SALT ( which would probably bring the Burkland car back out too).                Bob
Bob Drury

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1428 on: August 20, 2012, 05:16:05 PM »
This year was the first I'd seen the "Target 550" streamliner in person, and really knew very little about it up to this point.

Instead of reading 100+ pages, can someone summarize for me when this streamliner is expected to be finished and make it's pass on the salt?   Is this an all new construction or is it a rework of a previous liner (kinda looks like the one that ran briefly in Australia a decade ago or so)?

The workmanship is sharp on this car!  I am hoping we'll see it run soon?

-Scott

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1429 on: August 20, 2012, 05:24:30 PM »
    Speaking only as a outsider, I believe low speed runs on shaved Dunlop tires will be made next month at Mohave Desert (where Bert Rutan's operation is) to test chutes , brakes, steering and engine support systems (trans, clutches, blower drive, belt drives, etc.
   If all goes well I expect them to be ready for Speedweek 2013, but this is all just my opinion.
  Hell, for all I know, they may rent the Salt for December and put ski's on it........
                                       JMO Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #1430 on: August 20, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
Thanks, Bob.

I like it.

gf
Since '63

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1431 on: August 20, 2012, 05:27:10 PM »
Good stuff, thanks guys!

What engine(s) + trans combo will it run?

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #1432 on: August 20, 2012, 06:31:25 PM »
Good stuff, thanks guys!

What engine(s) + trans combo will it run?

Here ya go: http://www.target550.com/specs.htm

More info than ya ever wanted to know.  :)

Photo galleries (for this year) are here:
http://www.target550.com/gallery.htm

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1433 on: August 20, 2012, 08:35:01 PM »
Thanks Ray for the links.  Some good reading in there.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1434 on: August 21, 2012, 01:07:38 AM »
8.61 square feet? Now I'm impressed! Just off the top of my head- that's got to be 10% - 20% less than my lakester (P-38 style). And a drag coefficient about 90% less!!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #1435 on: August 21, 2012, 02:33:01 AM »
Everything about the car is impressive! I couldn't make speed week due to a death in the family, but thanks to Ray and Doc I have enjoyed the car through their lens.  Tony  :cheers:
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1436 on: August 21, 2012, 11:40:07 AM »
  To Tony, I am sorry to hear of your loss.  I was looking forward to meeting you, but I was only there long enough to pee and head home.
  Jack, if you go way back (maybe under the other Topic Heading) you will see several pictures of the wind tunnel model, a beautiful four foot long exact replica of the real car that was hand carved by Jim Hume (plus a matching bottom half which when mated upside down to the first model were used to simulate "real" airflow charictaristics while in a static position.
  The model was painted with a liquid chalk which left positive proof of how and where any turbulance occurred, and then any body modifications were addressed.
  One more interesting fact, every single rivet in the body was purposly left higher than the finished body skin and then hand filed down to the exact body surface.
  Oh, and when the final fit began, Jim wasn't happy with the gap between two 8' long body panels, so he devised a way (using a long thick copper strap as backing) and Tig welded a 8' long bead before filing it down to ensure the precise gap he wanted.
  He thereby earned his spot and will be stuffed and displayed in the new Museum along with Marlo and of course, Dr. Freud.
Bob Drury

Offline Tman

« Reply #1437 on: August 21, 2012, 11:53:25 AM »
Yes Bob, the fit and finish is amazing. I would have stayed longer looking at the car but we got word a wind storm was on the way so we went to break down our pits.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1438 on: August 21, 2012, 07:11:13 PM »
  Just another aside, but several years ago I was privelaged to see the original model before it was painted.
  Jim had laminated two thick pieces of some type of blonde wood with a 1/4 inch strip of Ebony (I believe) serving as a spine, right down the middle.
  I was sorry to see it painted as it looks like a fiberglass replica, and in saying that I also would personally like to see the "real deal" left unpainted, if for no other reason than to show the masses what a exceptional piece of art this car is:  no bondo, no lead, no nothin, just hours and hours of hand formed, hand finished perfection.
  I am not going to claim Jim is the very best, their are others like Tom Hanna, the late Pat Foster (Jim's late partner), the late Jack Hagerman, Quinn Epperly, Ron Fornier, Ron Covell and on and on.
  What I will say is that as far as finish and detail, no one has ever been better than Jim, and if you want to see proof, go to the Smithsonian Museum and look at his hand carved wooden Fabrege Egg's.
  It took many talented people to make this project happen, but without Jim Hume, I doubt that it would have ever met the standards that he set.               Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #1439 on: August 21, 2012, 07:50:50 PM »
Bob, I'm happy to agree with you.

Marlo allowed him the freedom to establish the quality of this build.

Seems to me that it's coming out pretty well.

FREUD
Since '63