Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811612 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1350 on: July 25, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
Glenn, I was thinking about that this morning.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Digger_Dave

• New folks
« Reply #1351 on: July 25, 2012, 06:04:28 PM »
Glenn, I was thinking about that this morning.  :cheers: Wayno

Wayno, guess who? It's me "Digger Dave!"
I just signed up yesterday and was thinking of YOU.

I missed seeing all of you at the salt the past couple of years.
The original "N of 49" car has been disassembled and the parts have gone into
a new car that Ted Allen has built.

Not sure if you are aware that Don Siewert died just before Xmas. (one of the drivers of the original "N of 49")

Hoist one for me!
Digger

Offline Freud

« Reply #1352 on: July 27, 2012, 01:24:38 AM »
Our post for this week will be past midday Friday.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1353 on: July 27, 2012, 09:02:21 PM »
Finally.......it's done and posted.

url:  http://www.target550.com/gallery/183_front_back_reassembly_continues/index.html

A short one this time.

Enjoy.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1354 on: July 27, 2012, 10:41:14 PM »
  Keep in mind, sport's fan's, that those beautiful water, fuel and oil tanks were not store bought, but manufactued by Jim Hume (including the hammer formed round ends of the cylindrical tanks) and when Jim isn't lolligaging on this car (pun) he is famous for building the fuel and oil tanks for most of the Fuel Funny Cars (Force, Pedregon, etal) and of course for his mind bogleing Wood Artistry which include Wooden Fabrege Egg's on display in the Smithsonian Art Institute.  And then there is that miniture 303 cu in. Old's motor on the shelf that I would steal if given the chance.
  This project is the culmination of the life long Racing Career of Marlo Triet, who has raced at Bonneville since the mid sixties (but who was also building marvelously ingenious race vehicles for other applications at the same time), and Jim Hume who helped (along with the late Pat Foster) set the standard for safe, Beautiful and well engineered Funny Car's in the 70's and 80's and in truth, they haven't changed much since.
  When you add to the mix Les Davenport who is a long time Drag Racer, Alcohol motor tuner,  Dyno expert, machinist and talented race car driver, there are more years of knowledge and craftsmanship involved in this endeavor then imaginable.
  Not to mention the folks like Freud, Ray, Korey, Dickie, Steve, Six (Bob Harris) and a lot of other folk's who contributed to make this happen.
  If you are coming to Speedweek, you better bring a good camera, cause no one back home will believe you when you tell them about "Target 550".
  And if the Earth happens to implode before it runs, you will go out knowing that you have seen the very best effort by skilled craftsmen with (believe it or not) NO CORPORATE BACKING, and designed and funded by a one time Used Car Lot Attendant named Marlo Treit.
                                                      I salute the effort and dillegence of those involved
                                                                                Bob
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:44:05 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1355 on: July 27, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »
Bob, you said it very eloquently for all of us.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline Bob Drury

Treit's streamliner
« Reply #1356 on: July 27, 2012, 11:29:42 PM »
  Pete, that's where I gained the moniker "eloquent One Run Bob"............. or was it "that f*cking a*shole Bob"?
  Anyway, hope to meet you at Speedweek.  If not, I will at least kick Six in the shin for you, him being another Alien Racer beholding to the Queen, for God's sake...............  Bob

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:32:05 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #1357 on: July 27, 2012, 11:35:53 PM »
Thanks Bob.  That is appreciated. If one overlooks the craftsmanship it's a major accomplishment

just to stay dedicated to a single project as long as Jim and Marlo have been with this car. I'll

tell you how close things are with this build. Several skin retainers on the frame had to be removed

and replaced with removable ones when they put the engines in place. The dummy blocks didn't have

valve covers on them and when the serious engines were being installed the extra width, or height,

caused them to not fit.  Easy enough. Cut them off and make them removable. There is no part of the

car, matters not how long ago it was done, that can not be altered or replaced. That's in the rules.

It's a terrible penalty to be around this build. Cars that I thought were pretty nice don't seem so

outstanding anymore. It's a tough standard to judge against. When there is  a car that impresses me I

know what the builder has put in it and for that I respect him.

I still have at least one more post before Speed Week and it will be a big one. So watch in a few days.

We may slide an extra one in this diary.

Thanks for your interest and Thanks to Bob for the background information.

See you on the Salt.

FREUD

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 11:40:17 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1358 on: July 27, 2012, 11:45:46 PM »
Bob, I spent the best part of an hour on the phone with him the other night. We covered a lot of subjects and you were among them. You passed!  :-D :-D :-D

I won't make it down for Speedweek but I'll probably be down a little later in the year.

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #1359 on: July 27, 2012, 11:58:43 PM »
Peter, come to the Bonneville NW Reunion and see all of the peeps.

February 16, 2013.....Portland Airport Shilo Inn.

url: bonnevillenwreunion.com

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1360 on: July 28, 2012, 12:21:06 AM »
  Glen, I hereby state that if we are both still alive for the 2013 NW Reunion, I will not only wear the same red dress that I wore for Dolan a few years back, but I will kick your Acura (screw you Slim, I will modify my own curse words!!!!) singing Karioki to anyone from
Snooky Lanson to Eric Burden (no not Eric Eyres, he couldn't sing his way out of jail).
                                            Bob (the Singing Thug).................
Bob Drury

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1361 on: July 28, 2012, 10:57:40 AM »
Bob, you have given me hope. I am a onetime used car mechanic and salesman. If Marlo can make it from lot boy to Target 550 then I can step up my game.  :cheers:

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1362 on: July 28, 2012, 02:27:15 PM »
  Bill, if you ever have the pleasure of meeting Marlo, ask him about Bon Ami (simillar to Comet powder cleaner) and the automotive uses he learned on the lot.............
                                              :-D Bob  :cheers:
Bob Drury

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #1363 on: July 28, 2012, 08:15:13 PM »
I am still looking for the engraved, finely crafted, oak shoehorn used to install all of those parts.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1364 on: July 28, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »
The parts march into place and wait to be secured.

It's that simple.

FREUD
Since '63