Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811052 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1320 on: July 14, 2012, 06:37:59 PM »
yep, folks are paying attention and not just looking at thr purty pictures :-D

This is really nice to know.  Seriously.  We'd feel kinda bad if nobody cared and we were just wasting time.  Speaking for myself, I hope that LSR junkies get some pleasure and inspiration out of what we put on the web.  I feel pretty honored cuz I get to see the photos before anybody else, 'cept fErD.  :) 

Earlier today I spent a lotta time under my own race car and I found myself wishing I could just fabricate a rotisserie like the folks at the "skunk works."  Then I looked at what I was working on and began to despair when doing a mental comparison of my work vs Hume's, Jason's and Dave's.  But then I just decided that I'd do my best and maybe take a little more care with what I was working on. (At that moment, I was installing a new Throttle Valve cable into the transmission.)  And I guess I'll repaint the Art Carr deep tranny pan so it doesn't look so scratched up.  Hmmm...back to the garage.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1321 on: July 14, 2012, 08:20:31 PM »
  Ray, the first thing to remember is that whether you are Marlo Treit, or the infamous "Ray the Rat" we all suffer from the same illness:  Speed X Money = broke racer.
  Only the numbers change, no matter who you are or how much you started with.
  If, as in Marlo's case, all the time, money and effort pay off with their speed goal, he probably won't be any happier than you will if you and your vehicle are still in one piece at the end of a event.
  And that, my friend is what makes all of us LSR junkies equal's.
  There really are no requirements for our sport other than  realizing that most of your fellow racers will willingly loan you part's, tools, and advice free of charge, and  that you will most likely share truthfull information with the guy chasing your own record.
  Assets, both in cash and knowledge are allways your best friend, but in truth, without luck advice and the help of our fellow racers, nobody will ever give a rat's (sorry) Acura about what you accomplish, but if you are like me (and I expect you are), you don't care about anyone else's opinion and reallize that any one of us is as good as the best.......... we are just edging up on the record.........................
                          Bob  :-D

(who thanks both yourself and Dr. Freudenberger for sharring Marlo's great build with the rest of us).          Thanx Ray
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:22:49 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1322 on: July 14, 2012, 09:09:20 PM »
Having been in the timing stand/trailer since Cagle drafted me in 1983 and timed thousands of vehicles at the lakes and salt I have seen the joy and heart break of many racer. The cost of a record or a membership to one of the clubs has no importance when that blue, red or black hat is given to you and all of your efforts regardless of the cost was just rewarded to you. Yeah and many tears have been shed in impound to tell you that the hard work and untold hours to get there are worth every bit of it.

When Les and Marlo fire it up on the starting line the first pass there will be silence and all eyes looking at the long course. This project has taken 12 years to get to the salt. You will be over blown away when you see the real product. Oh, don't forget the cameras
and to tell the entire team thanks for sharing the build and the pictures by Freud and the Rat.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1323 on: July 14, 2012, 09:42:29 PM »
Ray, Bob and Glen,

Well said.

Ray and  Freud I am sure I speak for many. I have looked at and read this entire thread a few times and everytime I look back I notice some great detail I missed. There is no way in this lifetime I can ever fabricate to the level of this build...but I can tell you I fabricate better because of the things I have read and observed in this build.

I think all of us in a "Secrect Life of Walter Mitty" way would like to sit in the seat, watch the canapy lowered, let the clutch out on "two" blown hemis and fly towards floating mountain at 500 +. Because of this thread there will be a lot of us "on board" for that maiden run.

Thanks for the great coverage of the Target 550 build.

Bill

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1324 on: July 14, 2012, 09:49:08 PM »
Well said gentalmen. This season in the ECTA is over for Amy and me. Money and time have both run out. We achieved 3 out of 4  goals which ain't bad. We will continue next year with new goals for her and her car as I lay out plans for my race car. Amy's will just need to be "improved upon" :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1325 on: July 14, 2012, 10:57:45 PM »

It seems that the motors were delivered yesterday.

FREUD

Nothing better looking than TWO BLOWN LATE MODEL HEMI MOTORS, with Front Mounted Whipple Superchargers. This is the only vehicle I have ever seen that took the time and effort to front mount a Whipple  Screw Supercharger.

I congratulate Team Viking 31, this build is just fantastic. Thanks for letting us have a peek into such a extraordinary build.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1326 on: July 15, 2012, 12:11:07 AM »
... a difference in diameter between the rotor pairs?...
 ... there aren't any bearing supports on the front plate for a second rotor...
I'm still left with these questions; which I couldn't answer by reading the Whipple website. All their diagrams show a pair of equal-diameter rotors, geared together in the traditional/expected manner. Thanks for the responses- any more help will be appreciated.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Freud

« Reply #1327 on: July 15, 2012, 03:41:20 PM »
There are only a few relevant statements regarding a Whipple.

They are heavy.

They are expensive.

They are difficult to find.

They aren't legal in NHRA.

They make huge horsepower

and they are noisy if you blow one up.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1328 on: July 15, 2012, 07:18:37 PM »
  Jack, I wish I would have taken a picture of the one I sold to Dave.
  They DO NOT HAVE identical rotors, they have two meshing, twisting, almost mating but different looking mother fu....... well anyway, they are called a "screw" blower for a reason.
  It's been too far back for me to be accurate on a description, but sufice to say they are a tapered twisting rotor, which really doesn't make any sense at all.      Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1329 on: July 15, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »
  BULLETIN!!! 
  If you google LYSHOLM Commressor (I had been misspelling it), scroll down to a picture  and if you open it up you will have all your answers before you.
  How they ever machined the prototype is beyond me............... Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1330 on: July 16, 2012, 01:07:27 AM »
... google LYSHOLM Commressor...
Bingo! Thanks, Bob. The Lysholm website does answer my questions very well. I'm left with a merely a trivial question- the pronunciation of "Lysholm"! :-D
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Freud

« Reply #1332 on: July 16, 2012, 11:39:22 AM »
Thank You, Woody.

Responses like yours make this sight exciting.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1333 on: July 16, 2012, 03:58:04 PM »
  What a "airhead".
  My last post about mispelling Lysholm, and I mispelled compressor............ or is mispelling spelled with two s's?
  p.s.  I don't remember the sixties OR seventies so hopefully you all will take pity on me (Stan doesn't).......................   
                                                        :roll: Bob  :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #1334 on: July 16, 2012, 04:28:12 PM »
I saw that, Bob, and was wondering what misspelling of "Commressor" got you worse results.  I was going to ask but didn't want to embarrass you. 

:cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!