Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811529 times)

Offline Freud

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1305 on: July 10, 2012, 01:14:20 AM »
Bill we appreciate the effort that was required to get to Hume's place.

We enjoyed your note explaining your experience.

Now the question of merit is: Did Rizzy enjoy the visit?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #1306 on: July 11, 2012, 02:08:49 PM »
Hello Freud - -

Did Rizzy enjoy the visit? I think so. She followed me around the shop for the first 15 minutes as I explained about the liner and showed her all the machines and tools used to do the metal fab work. I told her what machines I wanted. She was very excited when I told her the liner had TWO engines. She new it was a fast one then. The next 45 minutes or so she played with Jim's new puppy Copper and kept asking me if it was time to go, while I continued my detailed look and touch of the liner. The live view of the liner gave me a deja vu of the pictures you took over the years. Seeing is believing, but it is still unreal.

In the middle of Rizzy's "Is it time to go" she got excited when one of the open house visitors left in his supercharged Model A blue coupe by pulling a hole shot in front of the shop. He left in a cloud of smoke. That open her eyes just like it did at the NW Reunion when we toured that PT boat and they started up one of the engines.

So, did Rizzy have fun? I think so, but I believe there is more fun to come. One of the purposes of my visit was to explain and show her of my love for racecars. I want her to know me for my passion to design, build and then race what I built, just like I did back in the 1960's before she was born. It would be my dream for her to follow in my tire marks. Not a demand, just a desire. Plus, I'm teaching her about all the nice people you meet along the way in this world of racing. So yes, the trip was successful. Not to mention that we did spend three days as a tourist in Seattle after the visit to Jim's shop. Thanks again to Jim for having the open house. I think he had a nice turn out from what I saw that one day.

Bill

Offline Freud

« Reply #1307 on: July 11, 2012, 09:38:56 PM »
I certainly am happy that your visit was impressive to both of you.

One of these days before long it will be "out in the world" for everyone to see and hear.

Thanks for your effort to go see it. It's a major trip for you.

That I do understand.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline ratpatrol66

« Reply #1308 on: July 13, 2012, 03:58:32 AM »
Glen is there any chane I could play with the scale model in the liner on the salt?
I promise to make really good engine noises!

Offline Freud

« Reply #1309 on: July 13, 2012, 11:15:03 AM »
There is a good chane you could not.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1310 on: July 13, 2012, 08:23:26 PM »
Freud, what if two of us make motor noises?  :-o :-D :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Freud

« Reply #1311 on: July 13, 2012, 09:00:41 PM »
Making motor noises would be just fine.

It seems that the motors were delivered yesterday.

Check the url for todays post:   http://www.target550.com/gallery/181_the_engines_have_arrived/index.html

They actually do exist and now people can go to bed knowing that it was not a hoax when we talked about them.

Have fun and find a new topic to fret about.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #1312 on: July 13, 2012, 11:52:00 PM »
This build when running will be the new Al Teague on the salt.  Everyone will stop what they are doing and run to the track side with their binoculars to see this liner run. :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #1313 on: July 13, 2012, 11:55:51 PM »
We don't expect miracles.

That's too much praise until we do something.

I do admit, it's rather outstanding.

THANKS for the compliment.

I can assure you, I'll be watching when you run.

Probably between the 4 and the 5.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1314 on: July 13, 2012, 11:58:56 PM »
You're makin' me feel dumb...
Are those Roots blowers? With a difference in diameter between the rotor pairs? Tell me what I'm lookin' at...

Edit: No, I guess not- seeing as there aren't any bearing supports on the front plate for a second rotor. What's up? :? :?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:02:40 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1315 on: July 14, 2012, 12:06:30 AM »

Offline Freud

« Reply #1316 on: July 14, 2012, 12:09:00 AM »
Thanks Pete.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1317 on: July 14, 2012, 01:46:02 AM »
  Jack, until you have seen a Whipple next to a 1471 Roots (GMC) style supercharger or worse yet tried to lift one, it is like having a schoolbus parked next to a minivan.
  They were "kidnapped" from their intended use and are built in Sweden by Lysolm for use in industrial applications such as dust and chip removal systems in the wood and grain industries.
  Before local hero Art Whipple (of Whipple and McCullogh Funny Car fame) worked with Lysolm to adapt them to automotive engines, I had only seen larger units in area Wood Product facilities.
  The Whipple as well as the similar PSI unit work so well (while not producing nearly as much heat as a Roots type supercharger nor needing seals between the "screws") and were first allowed to be used in the NHRA in the Blown Alcohol series but not in the Nitro classes because of the massive amount of boost they produce (50 + psi easily).
  About ten years ago, the NHRA mandated that both the Whipple and PSI blowers would have to show proof thru testing that they would meet certain standards determined by testing which reportedly would cost between fifty and one hundred thousand dollars.
  Art Whipple, working with Lysolm, had by then developed a very successful buisiness with bolt on kits for popular engines, and reportedly told the NHRA to "stick it up their a-s".
  The race versions are still popular and legal in SCTA and Drag Boat racing, but are getting hard to find.
  I sold one to Dave Davidson (first 300 mph roadster) about five years ago and they put in on top of a small block Chevy in the Beck and Davidson record setting  D/BG Street Roadster with John Beck driving.
  What a sight, the blower is almost as large as the small block chevy engine it engulfs!
  One more thing about the Whipple.  It is unique from the PSI blower in that it can be driven off of either end which allows Marlo's vehicle to couple the blowers to the crank pulleys via a Gilmer belt drive.
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #1318 on: July 14, 2012, 04:04:25 PM »
Thanks Bob,

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #1319 on: July 14, 2012, 05:26:21 PM »
yep, folks are paying attention and not just looking at thr purty pictures :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15