Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811025 times)

Offline Freud

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1080 on: January 31, 2012, 02:04:31 AM »
Well I generally only go to the shop once a week. I went on last Wednesday (Jan 25) and did 200 images. 72 of them were used in Post 157. I had an appointment

with my chiropractor today (Jan 30) and after that I went back to the shop.I did another 110 today. Jason was pressure testing the frame and welding the pinholes that

occurred when changes have been made in parts that were attached and removed. Dave was working on a drive unit and newcomer, Russ Armstrong, the owner of

Skagit Grand Central Body Shop, Sedro-Woolley, WA. is preparing the frame for paint. He will also do the painting. The place is going nuts............

By looking for detail shots the 8GB card fills rapidly. The D700 Nikon allows me to capture each image in 2 different forms: a JPG file of 5MB and a

13MB RAW (NEF). The NEF files are my backups. They are saved separately from the JPGs. If I run into a problem with a JPG file I just open the NEF, alter it and save

it as a JPG. All of the images in the posts are JPG. So when I posted 72 images the zip file of the post was 8.9MB. The 72 images (800 x 600) and around 160kb each

totaled 12MB. 70 images shot in the dual format require 670MB of file storage. The HD is 2T and last years fotos occupy 0.3T.

When I shot with the D100 Nikon I frequently used a strobe for fill. It would only record one file type at a time. Since it didn't have the digital HP of the D700 I was

challenged. Camera in one hand, strobe in the other and unreal body positions were all challenges. Now I just kick the EI up to 5000 - 6400 and shoot away. I have

smaller apertures and faster shutter speeds. I don't find these conditions to compromise the images so I blindly stumble around clicking away. The fluorescent ceiling

lights are a pain in the ear. If the image is underexposed the color balance goes down the toilet. But the light is generally quite uniform. With Photoshop I can always

alter the color temp and I frequently do. To sort the 200 images, chose the order to present them and then rearrange them I spent about 3 hours. Then even after I

had the sequence established it took 6 1/2 hours to organize the post. I was way behind on the Bonneville NW Reunion and that kept me from doing the post until

Sunday AM. I wrote the first page that morning and then didn't get to the images until 2:30PM. I finished at 10:25 PM and took several breaks to eat and say hello to

my wife. So I spent about 9 1/2 hours on it. I shouldn't have hurried so much. Ray had to correct some spelling errors that spell checker didn't handle to his satisfaction.

I use ACDSee Pro to arrange the images. I do some modifications in ACDSee Pro but generally alterations are done in Photoshop CS5. I have to thank Ray for convincing

me to try ACDSee Pro. It is a blessing. I would like to present the images much larger but band width and pre-established standards limit us.

When I send him the post he proof reads it and tells me of the needed alterations. Each post is saved in 4 folders. The JPGs, the NEF files, the PSD files and the post

file. I do not combine these files until I have made any needed alterations. I can go to the NEF file, alter it, save the changes, then save it as the same numbered JPG

in the post file.

Then I send the correction to Ray. That way my post file exactly matches what we post. If I have stored the files before I make corrections it involves more steps and

frequently it turns into a basket of snakes. Without Ray Therat this build diary in TARGET550 would not exist. That's the plain d a m n e d  truth. That man pulled me out

of the path of the manure spreader after he put the web site in a condition that I could feed it. Please THANK Ray anytime that you see him. He deserves it.

Now the last group to THANK . Jim Hume, Jason Hasking and Dave Jeffers are so helpful. They answer my questions in terms that I can pass along to you. They

are always willing, if I ask to have something moved or need a hand to get a foto, to help me. Even when I try I am no doubt an interruption in their work schedule. So

far they haven't threatened me with bodily harm. My insurance is up to date.

The Northern Light of the entire project is Marlo Treit. He allows me total access to the project. He never hollers on the fone if I make a tiny mistake. Marlo and I have

discussed this project for over 20 years. It is getting to the place that I get chicken skin just thinking about it. I told Jim Hume, when the frame was all assembled that

it sure seemed great to be so far along. Everything else has only taken about 4 times as much time as the chassis. During all this time Marlo has been the "rock' that

just continued to guide, provide and helped with ideas and suggestions. In that same vain he has done the same for the photography for this site. Someday I am

going to send him some 4 x 6 fotos for his wallet.   MARLO.........you are a friggin' jewel.  THANKS for everything including this unrealistic car.

Can I go along when you decide to run it?

needing guidance,   

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1081 on: January 31, 2012, 07:30:11 AM »
Freud, Ray, Marlo, Jason, Jim and Dave,

Thank you for sharing this fantastic build. The craftmanship is second to none. I have enjoyed and have learned a lot from the posts.

Thanks again,

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #1082 on: January 31, 2012, 10:19:32 AM »
In case you totally missed the number, Freud is an 80 year old guy using a computer like a pro. You see so many older people give up on trying to stay current with the technology.
Remember film? Spending hours in the darkroom trying to correct a dodgy print? After you spent hours processing the film in the first place? The cost of taking this many photos on film would be staggering.

No wonder Kodak went bankrupt.

There are numerous projects going on in the world like this one. We wish we could peek over the shoulder on all of these projects.
Thanks to all of the open minded people on this project we can sit back and take it all in. And it's glorious.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1083 on: January 31, 2012, 10:23:12 AM »
In case you totally missed the number, Freud is an 80 year old guy using a computer like a pro. You see so many older people give up on trying to stay current with the technology.
Remember film? Spending hours in the darkroom trying to correct a dodgy print? After you spent hours processing the film in the first place? The cost of taking this many photos on film would be staggering.

No wonder Kodak went bankrupt.

There are numerous projects going on in the world like this one. We wish we could peek over the shoulder on all of these projects.
Thanks to all of the open minded people on this project we can sit back and take it all in. And it's glorious.

Very well said Dean. But I do kinda miss my time in the darkroom!

Offline Freud

« Reply #1084 on: January 31, 2012, 11:00:23 AM »
So we keep an old car in the garage. It never moves. The daily driver sits outside. It happens in every state and it's always the same question. What ya gonna do with that car?

No answer satisfies and we will likely never do anything with it. Na, I won't sell it......................

Well I have a car in my garage. Same questions.....similar progress and my wife gives suggestions.

I also have a darkroom. It was exceptionally well equipped. My B/W skills kept me employed by magazines because of the way my prints looked when they published them.

I have a nearly new Nikon F5 sitting here. It cost a bundle and is now worth almost nothing but it's sorta' like driving a pristine 1939 LaSalle coupe.

There is not a day that I don't burn to clear out a path to the darkroom door, mix some chemistry and process and print. It is a burning desire that will probably never be

extinguished. There is nothing like the satisfaction achieved to see a brilliant print hanging to dry as the water drains down to the bottom of the self produced image.

I only miss several old girlfriends but I constantly miss the satisfaction of a B/W print.

If I could just get a path cleared to the door.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1085 on: January 31, 2012, 11:44:36 AM »
I just need your attention and action. This regards the Bonneville NW Reunion.

All of the fabricators will be attending. You can quiz them one to one.

How about keeping those cards and letter coming with a check enclosed.

Time is getting short and I need more guests to make it happen.

bonnevillenwreunion.com

FREUD
Since '63

Offline TwinSpin

« Reply #1086 on: January 31, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
Freud and Ray - -

I was going to wait until the Reunion to thank you for the pictures and documentation of the Treit Streamliner. You have educated and entertained me about the quality people who are part of my new field of interest, land racing. Your detailed pictures showed me a standard of design and craftsmanship I will reach for as I contemplate the design of my lower class cycle build, my first. It will be fun to chat with these guys at the reunion. I plan to come away smarter and honored. 

I look forward to meeting you there too.

With Approbation,

Bill

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #1087 on: January 31, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »
I got this little "excuse note for the hall monitor" from Marlo Treit explaining Freud's little issue with missing a week's post.  I think it's a valid excuse and we otta rescind the order of mandatory study hall so he can go back to work on some of his other projects:

Well, Doc Freud spoke to the web site watchers and more or less apologized for missing a week on the posting.  What he did not want to say was that he was on an "educational and social excursion".

Glenn Freudenberger, the photo man for Target 550 is also the photographer for the Dry Lakes Hall of Fame, contributor to the BNI/SCTA program, as well as contributing to Granite Falls high school race teams, both the girls and the boys.  The boys team ran their car at World of Speed and set a record for the Slowest Ever Diesel Car.  See World of Speed USFRA http://www.saltflats.com/ for the number of runs and the speeds.

Back to where Glenn was.  He attended the SCTA awards banquet, the Sunday morning coffee at Jack's Garage where many racers start their day, investigated the Orange County Great park, El Toro airbase for possible test runs for Target 550, had a session with Eric at Stage V cylinder heads doing research on 426 Hemi heads, visited with the man who puts the program together for SpeedWeek,  Jim Kitchen,  stopped at Mike Lefever's shop, (engine tuner for many Bonneville record holders, Kugel, Hammonds to drop a couple of names), down the road a little farther for a private tour of Parnelli Jones museum of Speedway, sprint and SCCA winning cars and dining with Isky and Nick Arias.  From there we returned the rental car: 4 days, 500 miles, two trips through the "In and Out" burger and fine dining at an Ethel's local beanery in Irvine. 

So, that is why the no good SOB did not get photos or the post done for Target 550.  Some people just don't understand time management.  Of course there is the travel time from Everett to LA, the wonderful service of the TSA to keep us all safe and the airline agent who issued Glenn a boarding pass in someone else's name. (Go to the back of the line and start over.)

He gets an excused absence from me as I had to keep him in line on the trip and the battery was dead in his camera when he got to LA.  There was a lot more to it, but at my age I forget some of the details and  have selective memory to protect the innocent.

I also want to thank Bob Painton for opening some of the doors so we could get this all done.  Thanks, Bob.

marlo

I think that otta be sufficient.  Maybe you otta take a day off and rest up from the exertion, Doc.  :)  (Yeah, I know...there's that little Bonneville NorthWest Reunion thing....) 

Just to add something here...yesterday I put together a slide show of images from the Target 550 files, going WAY back to the very beginning (well before I got involved with the project.)  Yanno, there are a lotta photos there, most of 'em have captions that Freud added, one image at a time.  The darned thing ended up being 40 megabytes in size.  A little bigger than a breadbox.  So....it'll be shown during "happy hour" prior to the banquet at the Reunion.  A kinda "limited edition" thing.  So if ya wanna see it, come to the Reunion.  Maybe afterward we can find a place to store it, but for the moment, "be there or be square" or something equally as lame.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1088 on: February 03, 2012, 10:12:23 PM »
The next post will be Sunday so if the Super Bowl gets boring or your team is losing you can see our idea of sport.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1089 on: February 04, 2012, 01:10:12 PM »
The next post will be Sunday so if the Super Bowl gets boring or your team is losing you can see our idea of sport.

FREUD

Thanks.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1090 on: February 05, 2012, 03:29:50 PM »
Now that my morning walk and breakfast with mimosas are complete and downed I will give the url for todays post.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/158_harness_attachments_%20pin_holes_paint/index.html

I am happy to introduce a new team member. Russ Armstrong from Burlington, WA has been added to prepare and paint the frame.

He jumped right to it and finished the tail section at his own shop. It gives a feeling that things are progressing very well.

Thanks for your interest.

FREUD
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:34:16 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1091 on: February 08, 2012, 01:07:43 AM »
Have a look at some of the other skills of Russ Armstrong, the dude that is painting the frame for the 'liner.

He builds them and he flies them.

http://www.target550.com/news.html

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1092 on: February 09, 2012, 02:03:17 AM »
I returned home from Hume's shop about 6 PM today. I couldn't believe it.

The frame is completely painted. Russ worked until late at night and he has it done.

To me, that is exciting. This weeks post will show it.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1093 on: February 10, 2012, 03:31:02 PM »
The principals of the Target550 team will be at the B'ville NW Reunion Feb 18th.

Since the PT boat team will be the Friday night speakers you will have to question

Marlo, Jim, Dave, Russ and Jason at the banquet.  (www.bonnevillenwreunion.com)

If they have forgotten the answers to your questions they can go back to the fotos

on the build diary and get the answers.

Dave Davidson, owner and driver of the ground shaking 300+MPH roadster will be the Saturday night speaker.

His video will give us the sound of that run and I guarantee you "chicken skin."

COME ON DOWN.

FREUD

425-337-4558    425-422-6944

fotofreud@aol.com

bonnevillenwreunion.com

'
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1094 on: February 12, 2012, 12:18:27 PM »
Still a day or so to register at the banquet in Portland Feb 18th.

bonnevillenwreunion.com.

Have a look and join us

FREUD
Since '63