Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811306 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1020 on: January 06, 2012, 10:20:53 PM »
The Hanna Moore liner has Hydraulic steering I'M told.

From http://www.myrideisme.com/Blog/400-mph-bonneville-streamliner/ 08/2011:

The Plan as laid out by Lee Kennedy:

1.Run to the 2 1/4 mile – pull chutes
 2.Run to 3 miles – pull chutes
 3.Run to 4 miles – pull chutes
 4.Open it up and run all the way through to the 5 mile
 5.Set a record… that’s always the plan at Speed Week!
 6.Rinse and repeat

Testing/proving the hydraulic steering?

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1021 on: January 07, 2012, 12:15:56 AM »
The basic theory of hydraulic steering is pretty simple and easily understood but to make one that actually works is the trick. It gets into the details such as seals, rod bearing material, oil compressability , line size, cylinder size, system operating pressure, etc to actually make one that feels like a steering system. I will be interested to see how they do it.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1022 on: January 07, 2012, 12:42:13 AM »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1023 on: January 07, 2012, 07:47:55 PM »
Tom,
The Dan Foss type power steering has been around for a long time, and all large off road equipment, farm equipment and farm tractors use some version of this type of steering and it works well and reliable for this application. It is good for something going 20 mph but I would not even consider it for something that is projected to go 500+mph! It is cumbersome, heavy, not very accurate and provides little driver feed back. If you have driven any of the later model farm tractors their steering is quite strange, the position of the steering wheel vs the direction the tractor is going is changing all of the time, this is because there is no feed back between the actuator that turns the wheels and the steering wheel. Kind of weird but you can get used to it at only 20 mph, not at 500.

Looking at Freud's pictures it looks to me that the Treit car is going to use some sort of master/slave system in which they use a standard steering box with the pitman arm connected to a hydraulic cylinder, the master cylinder. The steering box moves the piston on the cylinder and the oil from this cylinder is sent to the slave cylinder that then turns the wheels. This type of steering can be very accurate and provide good driver feed back but it is all in the details of how you do it that makes it work well. They could certainly use electronics to provide a very accurate and responsive system but I think one of the "rules" for the Treit car is "No electronics".

It is going to be interesting to see the details on their system just as it is interesting to see all of the other details on this fantastic car.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1024 on: January 08, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »
The first full post for 2012 has been done.

It shows a bare naked frame.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/155_chassis_stripped/index.html

it hasn't looked like this for 10 years.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline sabat

« Reply #1025 on: January 08, 2012, 01:07:26 PM »
Huge amounts of careful preparation, with no testing, for a specific goal. Sort of like going to the moon.  :cheers:

Offline Freud

« Reply #1026 on: January 08, 2012, 01:31:05 PM »
Arrangements are being made for testing in the latter half of 2012.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1027 on: January 08, 2012, 03:34:51 PM »
OK, I just spent over an hour and went through every picture on the website. The first one I could find was 06-1 and went through 155-28. What an incredible journey though time watching the build come closer to its destination.

Now Doc I am going to put you on the spot. I noticed this picture posted on the site, but could not find any updates to its progress. Sooooooo what has happened since this photo was taken?

Tom G. 

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1028 on: January 08, 2012, 03:41:30 PM »
Thanks once again fERD, we are not worthy :-o
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1029 on: January 08, 2012, 04:32:40 PM »
Arrangements are being made for testing in the latter half of 2012.

FREUD
On the Moon?  :-D  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Freud

« Reply #1030 on: January 08, 2012, 06:41:44 PM »
Rufus is coming out the same day the Swain modified roadster fires up.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #1031 on: January 08, 2012, 08:42:28 PM »
The Hanna Moore liner has Hydraulic steering I'M told.

Yes it did have and they had trouble with it. I think they told me, the trouble was something to do with a servo.
Richard
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 08:47:53 PM by Richard 2 »
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1032 on: January 08, 2012, 10:36:41 PM »
Rufus is coming out the same day the Swain modified roadster fires up.

FREUD

:-D :-) :-( :-o :? 8-) :lol: :x :-P :oops: :cry: :evil: :roll: :| :mrgreen:

Is this a challenge? LOL. Fire up is easy, running down a course is not. Maybe I can get Lady GaGa to sponsor the car. LOL.

Tom G.

Offline charlie101

• Indian 101 buff
« Reply #1033 on: January 09, 2012, 02:35:29 AM »
For me it takes an hour just to browse thru the gallerys, you couldn't have gone through the enlarged pictures without getting caught on the unbelivebly crafty detail work that is and was done on this fantastic machine. To me the metal shaping craftmanship that is represented in this fine photography with comments is similar to poetry and art in its finest form and it can take half an hour or more to go through just a page. In its cohesive, the collection of pictures also show the masterly planning and execution of assemblys that is not short of a commercial aeroplane. I will miss the updates of the construction very mutch and would take the moment to say a heartfelt thank you to Mr.Treit and his champion crew for taking their time to share this with me.

OK, I just spent over an hour and went through every picture on the website. The first one I could find was 06-1 and went through 155-28. What an incredible journey though time watching the build come closer to its destination.

Now Doc I am going to put you on the spot. I noticed this picture posted on the site, but could not find any updates to its progress. Sooooooo what has happened since this photo was taken?

Tom G.  
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 03:18:14 AM by charlie101 »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1034 on: January 09, 2012, 01:22:56 PM »

For me it takes an hour just to browse thru the gallery's, you couldn't have gone through the enlarged pictures without getting caught on the unbelievably crafty detail work that is and was done on this fantastic machine.

Charlie,

I have studied the pictures in depth many times over the years. All I did was a quick view of all the pictures for a review of what has been accomplished. You are correct, if it was my first time looking at the pictures I would have been on the Target 550 site for days. Sometimes a refresh is good.  :-)  But I can only speak for myself. The amount of work that has been accomplished on this Streamliner in the last year is just incredible. I cannot wait for it to go down the track.

Tom G.