Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1810898 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1005 on: December 30, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
Next-to-last Year In Review post:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/152_year_in_review_06/index.html

This one has photos from posts 134 thru 139.  Some of the areas covered:  Drive belt tensioner, wheel fairings, Greek couplers, windshield frame and a bunch more.  Oh, yeah....and the dyno test:

To reiterate something about the dyno test, I'll mention that no HP numbers were announced because that wasn't the reason for the test, which was to validate the idea of mounting the Whipple blowers (huge frikkin blowers!) at a 90 degree angle from what might be considered "normal."  The test was successful and the power output, while not being expressed in numbers might be considered as "adequate."

I'll have one more post in this series...I plan to do that tomorrow morning...unless something changes.

Later,

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #1006 on: December 31, 2011, 08:32:10 AM »
Happy New Year's Eve day.  This is the final post in the Target 550 "Year In Review" series.  It's been interesting to me to go back over all that was accomplished in 2011.  I'll just give a simple description:  "A whole lot!!!"

This is one of the subtle indications of the progress:

The photo shows a group of parts that have been removed and are being stored in the "back room."  This is being done so that the frame can be painted and then the parts will go back in. After that it otta be time to...well, I'll let you draw your own conclusions and just say that things are moving along very nicely.  I've gone back to the beginning of the year and looked at the great photos and re-read the text Doc Freud provides and I find something I overlooked every time.  If you're seriously into following this build, I suggest that you do the same thing.

But.  Here's the link to that last set of 36 images which were selected to give an overview of posts 140 through 145:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/153_year_in_review_07/index.html  It includes lube seals for the Greek couplers, the new windshield and its frame (what a work of art!), another look at the polished oil pans (gorgeous!) and more.

We'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming right quick...and I can hardly wait to see what Freud brought back in his camera (even if it IS a Nikon <G>) in the last trip to the shop.

In the mean time, enjoy these photos and I wish you all a VERY enjoyable and safe New Year's Eve.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1007 on: December 31, 2011, 11:26:33 AM »
Ray, I shoot Nikon while my best bud shoots Canon. It's the ol' Ford vs. Chevy thing. Life's way more fun when you can be competitive rather than everyone following the same line. Oh, and I did catch the "grin" right after you gave Freud the little dig. Keep struggling away with those Canons!  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #1008 on: December 31, 2011, 11:40:57 AM »
It's really been great to sit back and enjoy Ray's review. There have even been surprises to me as I read his presentation.

That shouldn't be too much of a surprise. I forget what I have forgotten and that ain't good.

I will be hard pressed to present a flow to the stories. They will become more segmented. I am holding  the story

of the rear wheel fairings until they are complete. Then I can give a smoother presentation.

It goes w/o saying but all of us that are involved with this project are overjoyed with the enjoyment that the audience is receiving.

I'll do my best to hold your attention.

For Marlo Treit, Jim Hume, Dave Jeffers, Jason Hosking and Les Davenport,

Ray and I say THANK YOU and Happy New Year.

FREUD
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 12:59:25 PM by SPARKY »
Since '63

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1009 on: December 31, 2011, 01:00:31 PM »
sorry I clicked on by mistake  :? I wanted to enlarge!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline desotoman

« Reply #1010 on: December 31, 2011, 03:28:51 PM »
A lot of great fabrication was done this past year as shown in the photos.

At this rate, great things will happen in the near future.

I wish all the Target 550 Team a Happy and Prosperous New Year 2012.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #1011 on: January 01, 2012, 09:07:25 PM »
I'm late with this "Happy New Year" post from The Target 550 team, but....well...Happy New Year!  :)

http://www.target550.com/gallery/154_man_machine_momentum/index.html

As web elves are wont to do, I sneaked in while no one was watching and moved stuff around in the website.  Well, really, I've just given us a clean slate for 2012, with the 2011 and earlier stuff posted on their own pages.  We'll do out best to fill the new pages with lots of progress as captured by Doc Freud's camera.  I think it's gonna be a real interesting year.  Personally, I hope to break less stuff and go a little faster.  I spose that could be a new year's resolution for a lotta people.

Stay tuned.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1012 on: January 02, 2012, 11:28:39 AM »
I'll be "on duty" starting Wednesday and do the first shoot of 2012.

This will be a transition year. The car will leave Hume's shop and go to Oregon.

Marlo will assemble the crew that will train to be efficient when it's time to run.

Testing will start and shakedown runs will be conducted and at the same time

the training for record runs will be woven into the training.

It's going to be a magic year and we will do our best to convey the progress.

With the help of Ray Therat we will keep everyone up to date.

Thanks for your interest.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #1013 on: January 05, 2012, 12:58:28 AM »
What an eye opener. I went to Hume's shop today. Much to my surprise the frame is almost bare.

The rear drive unit and everything behind it is still in place. Ahead of that there is nothing left. That's in preparation

for finishing and painting the frame. The reason that the rear portion is intact is so the rear wheel fairings can be completed.

It requires that everything that the fairings are attached to is there for the fitting. When the rear fairings are completed

the inside of the skin panels can be painted to resist corrosion. Then those panels will be riveted to the support structure.

Jason is building some tanks for another project and it will still be a while before he is back on the fairings.

The material for a rotisserie has been ordered. I'll tell you that this is going to be a heavy duty "squab roaster."

The 48" ring has been ordered. The project changes from little pieces to heavy duty iron again. Out comes the

rosebud and the gas bottles. I know I can show the finished rotisserie but I'll try to show the progress on just

one more item that is needed to get this baby on the salt.
Since '63

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1014 on: January 05, 2012, 01:11:41 AM »
Freud,
As they are taking the car apart for final finish there is still one system that I have not seen, the steering system. I know that they are planning a hydraulic master/slave steering system but are there any details available?

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Freud

« Reply #1015 on: January 05, 2012, 11:30:21 PM »
It will be covered later.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #1016 on: January 06, 2012, 12:50:49 PM »
Glenn --

Will the car be able to run under SCTA sanction?  I believe a hydraulic steering system is not allowed under 3.L(?).

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #1017 on: January 06, 2012, 08:09:41 PM »
I have no idea if SCTA will let the car run. It is not intended to be a SCTA car.

Did Summers Bros ever run SCTA?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jdincau

« Reply #1018 on: January 06, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
Did Summers Bros ever run SCTA?

FREUD

Not with the Goldenrod
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #1019 on: January 06, 2012, 09:01:30 PM »
The Hanna Moore liner has Hydraulic steering I'M told.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah