Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1810899 times)

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #900 on: October 08, 2011, 08:38:35 PM »
I ran across an old picture of Marlo at the strip riding a crazy twin engine motorcycle where he sat above the rear wheel............ask him about it.

any chance you can post it?

franey

I would but it is in a crate of 2-300 magazines I went threough last week :oops: I need to get some stuff done instead of reading all those things again! But, don't fear, I go on a reading binge about once a month and will see it soon. All I can say is Marlo was nuts in his early years! :cheers:

okay. sounds good.

bf
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #901 on: October 08, 2011, 08:43:27 PM »
I would but it is in a crate of 2-300 magazines I went threough last week :oops: I need to get some stuff done instead of reading all those things again! But, don't fear, I go on a reading binge about once a month and will see it soon. All I can say is Marlo was nuts in his early years! :cheers:

And who says he is not nuts today?

Offline Tman

« Reply #902 on: October 09, 2011, 11:37:51 AM »

And who says he is not nuts today?

Touche

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #903 on: October 09, 2011, 08:25:07 PM »
Freud's in Alabama for a Ducati get-together at Barber Motorsports Park, but he emailed me the photos for this week's update (yeah, it's a little but late, but we've both had one or two things on our plates.)

This post shows and explains the replacement of splined sleeves in the drive line with greek couplers.  I'm gonna go out on a limb and state my understanding that it was done after several LSR competitors had drive train failures.  

Here's a photo of one of the couplers:

Once again, the design, workmanship and Freud's great photos and captions are outstanding.  The caption of the photo above gives an indication of what's to come.  

Hope you enjoy 'em:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/135_driveshaft_couplers/index.html

Edit:  A quick addition to this post: I didn't know anything about greek couplers, so I did a little searching on the web and apparently Chris "The Greek" Karamesines developed the first coupler of this type for use in drag racing...which is how it got its name:
http://nitrogeezers.com/Legends-Ed%20Donovan.htm

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 08:52:29 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #904 on: October 09, 2011, 09:57:12 PM »
 Jeez, I always thought it had to do with "coupling from the rear"........... :roll:
                                                             Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Freud

« Reply #905 on: October 10, 2011, 12:32:56 PM »
Thanks for the backup, Ray.

I stayed in the room to do the post and while I was there, a friend crashed a new Ducati and ended up in the hospital.

I never even thought of an announcement that I usually do to inform our visitors of the post.

You done me rite.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #906 on: October 14, 2011, 01:36:34 PM »
There will be a Target550 post later today. Mostly about the windshield frame.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #907 on: October 14, 2011, 03:20:50 PM »
Have a look at the pattern for the windshield and the canopy cutout.

The url is :  http://www.target550.com/gallery/136_windshield_pattern/index.html

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #908 on: October 21, 2011, 10:07:44 PM »
It may be late but Ray Therat and I finally finished our weakly post for Target550.com

Switching to the Greek Couplers required a new torque tube.  This is the build of it.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/137_new_torque_tube/index.html

FREUD
Since '63

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #909 on: October 22, 2011, 10:03:40 AM »
Bad Bob!!! :-o

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #910 on: October 22, 2011, 01:46:18 PM »
This whole build is a such great lesson in fabrication and machining techniques. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Thanks for bringing it to us Freud and Ray.

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #911 on: October 22, 2011, 08:49:42 PM »
P J we appreciate your response.

Not only do the viewers learn things.......so do I.

In the past 24 hours we have had 23,101 hits on the site.

Change that to 25,400.

Hume says Hello to all of you.

FREUD
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 08:54:00 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #912 on: October 22, 2011, 09:06:45 PM »
  Hey, that tunnel is getting shorter................... say hello to Jim, his coffee is still the best in NW Washington......................  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #913 on: October 22, 2011, 09:47:23 PM »
Freud:

When I look at the workmanship and craftsmanship of this build it makes me want to go out in the shop and throw rocks at my at my stuff. A fantastic build. Thank you for sharing all the details. Although I could never duplicate the craftsmanship and engineering you display here. I do get ideas from reading the thread on areas I could do a better job of fabricating. When it comes to fabricating...compared to you guys I could not sweep your shop. So I fabricate vicariously through this thread...Thanks, I really enjoy following your build.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Freud

« Reply #914 on: October 22, 2011, 10:36:19 PM »
Bill.....you are welcome. I appreciate your reply.

You must understand.....there are a few years experience on this build.

It must approach 95 - 100 years between Dave and Jim and Jason, the newcomer, has had some marvelous jobs at a

very high level and his suggestions are also welcomed. One of these days we will probably see his welding abilities.

He worked in a shop in Colorado and did the welding on EXPENSIVE titanium bicycle frames. His beads look like they

were superimposed from a drawing. He also worked in a restoration shop back east that was at an equally high level as a fabricator.

There is so much respect shared between the three of them. Their coffee breaks and lunch time should be videoed.

It would make a training manual for all time. Marlo has made some marvelous choices

when this crew was assembled but we must remember what a great portion of the car was done by just Hume.

I am rewarded just being allowed access to the project and also the privilege of asking them any question when I don't

have a grasp of some section.

I'll stay with this project until a better one, closer to home, comes along.

Bob.....they have called for bids on a coffee house on premise.  There are no zoning laws and topless gals are legal.

Will that discourage you if it goes in?

FREUD
Since '63