Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811022 times)

Offline Freud

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #870 on: September 23, 2011, 12:13:51 PM »
No idea Peter. It really won't have to remove much material but I have no idea what stuff it's made of.

I know they heat treated it.

I'll find out.  Thanks for asking.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #871 on: September 23, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
I didn't expect you to know Freud. Your expertise shows with the wonderful coverage on the build. The fact that you're willing to ask the questions and the builders are willing to answer them make this so much more valuable than the average build. Thanks for the work you do.

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #872 on: September 23, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
Peter, Hume said that it is 4140 chromemoly.

It has been used and all's well. Thee wasn't very much material to remove and the tap did it's job.

Now there  are no worries about the cap galling and sticking at an inopportune time.

Wanna buy a tap?

Thanks for asking.

FREUD
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 04:21:47 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #873 on: September 23, 2011, 01:19:20 PM »
  Dupont Krytox is a anti galling agent that looks like Crisco but is meant for precisly that problem........ stainless vs stainless.
  Have Jim give me a call if he can't find any.              Bob   (360) 696-1428
Bob Drury

Offline desotoman

« Reply #874 on: September 23, 2011, 02:32:32 PM »
Thanks for waiting.

This is a short post but the next one will have a lot in it.

There will be a small part that was modified to do the opposite job for which it was designed.

A unique problem developed with the oil tank and it was a machinists method of solving it that is on a par with the project.

Here is the url:   http://www.target550.com/gallery/132_knobs_knurls_kolor/index.html

There is a good chance that the next post will be on Saturday.

FREUD

This is so bitch-en. No hidden secrets on this build. And all questions answered. Incredible, just incredible. Thank you, is just not enough to show one's appreciation for this group of people.

Tom G.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:04:56 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #875 on: September 23, 2011, 02:40:25 PM »
  Dupont Krytox is a anti galling agent that looks like Crisco but is meant for precisly that problem........ stainless vs stainless.
  Have Jim give me a call if he can't find any.              Bob   (360) 696-1428

Bob,

Not picking on you really, but I think I read the cap was Anodized Aluminum, not Stainless. Will your stuff still work on those metals?

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #876 on: September 23, 2011, 05:08:23 PM »
Freud,
Looks to me that the belt tensioner screw should have some sort of locking device to keep it from un-screwing. Lots of tension and also vibration could cause it to back off.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #877 on: September 23, 2011, 05:35:38 PM »
  Actually Tom, Krytox is Duponts name for various industrial material's.  
  I installed a lot of stainless exhaust ducting in the High Tech Industry, and they had to have cleanout section's that are removable.
  This was the only non-galling  material available (ten years ago) that didn't offgass which is pretty important in a cleanroom environment (GPL-206 is the catalog number for this product).
  I have used it on my alluminum master cylinder fill plugs and it work's just fine.
  Before I tried it on the fill plug cap's I Dodge near couldn't get them off.
  Punch in Krytox on Google and you can see all their products.
  They may have something even better....................  Bob
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 05:43:25 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #878 on: September 23, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
Freud,
Looks to me that the belt tensioner screw should have some sort of locking device to keep it from un-screwing. Lots of tension and also vibration could cause it to back off.

Rex

Rex, I would bet it will include a jam nut, they just finished making it and fit tested it is my guess.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #879 on: September 23, 2011, 07:54:00 PM »
Rex,

I believe this is only a device to tension the belt via the idler pulley, not to hold the idler pulley in place. Holding the idler pulley in place once it has been given the right amount of tension is accomplished by a huge bolt that goes through the idler pulley and screws into this unit.

You have a valid point, and I am sure it will be discussed.

Tom G.

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #880 on: September 23, 2011, 11:29:30 PM »
Regarding stainless threads mating, I worked on a project which was for nuclear fuel recovery and everything was stainless and we had some maintenance spots where the operators had to un-screw some large fasteners that were under water and approx 20 feet from where they were stationed and they were looking through a window that was 6 foot thick and the powered wrench was hanging on a remotely operated crane, sound a little difficult?, any way the fasteners and the special nut that it threaded into were made from 440C stainless at 50 RC+ so they would gaul almost immediately. Bechtel was the A&E on the project and they told us to silver plate both the nut and screw and we never had problems again. It was "silver threads among the gauled"!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Freud

« Reply #881 on: September 24, 2011, 12:23:12 AM »
Rex, not only are your a learned person, an experienced worker and an interested spectator who keeps this project within the straight and narrow........you are also an

accomplished poet.

This simple problem is always out in the open and if we have a problem and start with KY Jelly, we may get it in.

I'll stop at Ace hardware and get some nuts. I don't have any control over them using them.

Maybe several more fotos will better show all of the way it is assembled. I'll take a look and see if I can't do a better job of showing the entire assembly.

THANKS AGAIN, Rex.

FREUD
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 12:34:33 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #882 on: September 26, 2011, 03:32:03 PM »
  Hey Glen, on another post I found Jet Lube of Canada has every kind of anti-sieze in the world.
And they are located in Edmonton, Alberta.................  Les has been possibly sitting on your fix all the time...................  :-D     Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #883 on: September 26, 2011, 04:05:01 PM »
I would be interested in hearing opinions on how the Target 550 drive train is going to survive when the single engine Speed Demon has had documented difficulties.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #884 on: September 26, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
I expect that the Speed Demon's trials and tribulations will be considered by the Target 550 build team - and so will other hassles that have cropped up on other vehicles.  I know that part of the SD troubles COULD be considered driver error -- such as blipping the throttle to make sure the engine is running smoothly before dropping the trans. into gear -- but before letting the engine come back down to (approx) the speed of the input of the trans.  Engine wound too fast = torn up drive train.  Or too much throttle when hitting a bump in the track.  But are these (and the others) really driver mistakes or are they part and parcel of racing?  Ian can write software to help alleviate the problems, but then there'd likely be more problems.

So - we can all learn from Speed Demon's "issues".  Thanks, George and Ron, for letting us watch you to get some learning.  Some stupendous thrills, too! :lol: :lol:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com