Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1810856 times)

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #810 on: August 17, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
while we're on the topic of that pressurized frame-

I know that drilling holes in the frame tubing before welding will let built up gas pressure escape.
am I understanding correctly that pressurizing the frame strengthens it when it is on the road or being raced?
if so, how much stronger will it make it.
this is very interesting.

franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #811 on: August 19, 2011, 01:42:15 PM »
I'm back home, Freud is on his way to the airport to head back to Washington and we have a new Target 550 post online.
http://www.target550.com/gallery/127_oil_line_retainer_breather_box/index.html

It covers an oil filter/line retainer done by Dave Jeffers, a breather box being built by Jim Hume and an update on Jason Hosking's lengthy projects.  Right now he's working on the rear wheel fairings.

This time of year is difficult to keep to our schedule, but we're doing our best.  The next coupla weeks will be "interesting" with BUB going on and me there by myself to cover the event (this is gonna be interesting) but we'll "git 'er dun."  World of Speed and the Shootout will be even more interesting, since SSS, Mrs. SSS and I will all be racing (WoS only) and trying to do commentary and photos, then I'll do my best to get the posts done in my spare time (what???) 

Nonetheless, your Target 550 reporting team is dedicated to bringing you the best coverage possible of the liner's progress.  Speaking of the team, several members of the team were spotted at Salt Talks and captured on digital film:
http://www.target550.com/news.html  We ask that no one contact the Witness Protection Program to inform them of this paparazzi spotting.  :)

Offline Tman

« Reply #812 on: August 19, 2011, 02:13:14 PM »
Nice meeting you. Doc Goggles and I also had the pleasure of listening to Marlo at the salt talks.

Offline Freud

« Reply #813 on: August 19, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »
I was overjoyed to hear the comments by the people that follow this build diary.

SPEED WEEK is the biggest event that Marlo an I attend together. It was great to have him with me and he could give the answers

to the well phrased questions.

Any hole made on the frame, except the holes to allow the good welds, are indeed blind holes.

I have never inquired about the extra rigidity achieved by the pressurized tubes. The main reason is to check for the integrity

of the frame. Any cracks will cause the pressure to drop and then the search starts. They listen with a short tube and that magnifies

the sound of the escaping air.

I'll make a list of the questions from this past two weeks and ask Jim or Marlo to answer them.

Thanks to all the people that commented about it and I especially appreciate the generous comments.

I jut delivered the post to Rat about 10 AM Utah time and he interrupted healing the brakes on the BUUURRB to post it.

Thanks Ray. 

FREUD
Since '63

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #814 on: August 19, 2011, 08:55:33 PM »
 :-D And Thank You also good Dr. !
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline Freud

« Reply #815 on: August 19, 2011, 11:06:14 PM »
I am overwhelmed by the marvelous comment from you fans.

I can accept, with Ray deserving a major portion of the credit, the compliments.

I wouldn't be able to report if it wasn't for Marlo's vision and dedication, the skills of

Les Davenport, Jim Hume. Jason Hosking and Dave Jeffers.

It's a team effort and it will be accomplished.

Thanks for your marvelous support.

FREUD for the Target550.com team

Since '63

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #816 on: August 19, 2011, 11:22:47 PM »
thanks , freud.

bf
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #817 on: August 21, 2011, 12:34:47 PM »
200 mph = 300 mph = 400 mph =
500 mph = What color for 500?
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #818 on: August 21, 2011, 12:41:58 PM »
500 should be silver with little wings on it.

Larry

Offline Nexxussian

« Reply #819 on: August 21, 2011, 12:43:12 PM »
I thought it was purple?

As in "in the purple" (ie, royalty).
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #820 on: August 21, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »
I am also for purple.  If you take the red hat (200mph) and the blue hat (300mph) and mix the two colors you get purple. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #821 on: August 21, 2011, 12:52:49 PM »
200 mph = 300 mph = 400 mph =
500 mph = What color for 500?

I like white like the salt but better first one there chooses!?!?

[I hope they don't like fuchsia!  :-(]
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Freud

« Reply #822 on: August 21, 2011, 05:40:54 PM »
We are honored that this discussion occurred on this site.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #823 on: August 23, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »
Please no more closeups of those FANTASTIC welds.
You are totally missing the point that every picture shows multiple details that may not show elsewhere.
Not to mention that you can’t really appreciate the welds until you have welded a tube frame and spent time analyzing how on earth you are going to get the welding torch into that cramped space, and then end up contorting your body into a shape it wasn’t designed to contort into to get the perfect angle. All the while doing this in 100 degree heat while wearing a long sleeve heavy shirt and a welding mask that provides no ventilation.

But that’s not what this is about. I’m really writing about some blue paint I saw in this picture.

Every year they award Nobel prizes in chemistry, physics, etc. They truly miss the things that should get Nobel prizes like Velcro, air driven nailers . . . and Dykem Steel Blue.

This is preaching to the choir for a lot of you, but for everyone here that has machined something, there are a hundred that haven’t.
At some point in the build you realize you need a widget. After scouring the catalogs you realize you need to fabricate it. You could take it to your local machine shop. They hate one-off pieces. They only make money on longer runs.
To make it yourself the first thing you need is a Bridgeport Series 1 mill. There are thousands upon thousands of them out there. Virtually unchanged since the 1930’s. Oh sure, you can get automatic feed, digital readouts, all the way to full CNC versions. You can get Chinese knockoffs too. (Oh please don’t.) The manual version works very nicely.

The part in the picture is held in a machinists vice. A very precise tool that is strong enough to hold against the force of the cutter that is ripping the metal off and trying to shove your part 30 feet across the shop floor. Notice that the part isn’t on the bottom of the vice. You need to drill through the material and cut the edge all the way. So you start with two pieces of precision ground stock to space your part up, tighten the vice and then remove the blocks.
Notice the black bar on the bottom left. If you need to pull the part out and put it back the stop allows you to do that without losing position. The squirt bottle with coolant is normal, as is the air nozzle that has no doubt had the OSHA nozzle removed and a copper line inserted to be able to blow out the tapped holes.

Back to the blue paint. At some point you need to design the widget. After you get your sketch down on paper you need to figure out how that’s going to turn into a block of aluminum. It helps to visualize it if you can see the part on the aluminum. One of the problems without a digital readout is the dial on the handle is your measuring tool. It's all too easy to turn it precisely to the correct value, but an extra turn too far, scrapping the part. With the marking on the part you prevent that.

A pencil leaves a really wide mark no matter how sharp. Scribing a line is much better, but doesn’t show up at all on the shiny aluminum. The hallmark is the 4 ounce brush-in-cap bottle of Dykem Steel Blue.  “Hides the glare, shows the mark.” Yeah, they make it in aerosol spray, felt tip markers, and  5 gallon pail, but I would bet that part was done with a 4 oz bottle. You can tell the machinists in the restaurant by the blue on their fingers.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #824 on: August 23, 2011, 12:47:01 PM »
Dean;

I agree completely--- Dykem Steel Blue = good stuff.

Regards, Neil  (San Diego, CA)
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ