Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1810731 times)

Offline Freud

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #600 on: March 26, 2011, 06:14:17 PM »
Don't let this slip past you. They are marvelous.

FREUD
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:04:52 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #601 on: March 26, 2011, 09:03:33 PM »
Doc,

The pans look great, but I think the block needs some major work. LOL.

Thanks,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Tman

« Reply #602 on: March 26, 2011, 09:07:41 PM »
Doc,

The pans look great, but I think the block needs some major work. LOL.

Thanks,

Tom G.

Thats the oil cooler port! :-D

Offline Freud

« Reply #603 on: March 27, 2011, 11:38:34 AM »
What a marvelous response to the oil pan post.

The conclusion will be during this week with about 20 more fotos.

We are overjoyed that you liked it.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline desotoman

« Reply #604 on: March 27, 2011, 01:40:22 PM »
What will this quick release be used for? Looks similar to ones used for steering wheel disconnects.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #605 on: March 27, 2011, 03:06:36 PM »
For those of you sitting on the sidelines that have never done anything like this, a couple of notes.

If you try to drill of machine a thin piece of metal the force needed to penetrate pushes the metal down and the results are less than optimal. The cutting surface grabbing the piece and making a whirling skin slasher is another problem.
It's amazing how much time you spend making one-off jigs. The aluminum bar clamps the material to the wooden support block. The bend on the other side makes it rigid enough, otherwise you would clamp both sides.

Take a wild guess how much time was spent making this. Include time wandering around looking for likely pieces in the first place. Countersinking the screws . . . After you find some screws. Finding a comfortable welding position has a HUGE impact on the results. Every time you weld something in an odd body position and the result is less than optimal you kick yourself for not taking the effort to do something like this.

To clarify, a "back purge" is indeed something you do after refried bean night at the taco factory. :-D

You haven't lived until you weld thin sheet metal. My first efforts a long time ago looked like . . . well, you know. TIG welding uses argon, an inert gas to keep the oxygen in the air from reacting with the base metal and making an oxide. Oxides of the base metal are never a good thing. The argon provides a shield to push away the air and doesn't react with the weld. Since you are melting all the way through the sheet metal to weld it, protecting the back side is important. It's not often you see someone do it. Tells you a lot about the quality of this build.

Welding the thin sheet metal to the much thicker pan rail is another adventure. Most of the heat has to go into the thicker part. So obvious you say, until you try it. Thick or thin everything warps from the heat. That's why the rail is machined after welding even though it was flat to start with.

Some things have enough stress built up in them that the metal removed from machining causes another round of warping. It's all sooo fun.

You realize that this is just a fancy bed pan. No function other than to catch some oil. It's still a gorgeous work of art.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Freud

« Reply #606 on: March 27, 2011, 08:26:35 PM »
Dean, you have rewarded me.  The first images of the pan were shot February 3rd. The last were done last week and the total was 581 shots.

That's a lot to sort thru and attempt to make a story flow.  Within the next hour the final section of the pan build will be posted.

I certainly want to THANK YOU for several things. First, sometimes I think the detail isn't as necessary as what I pursue, but when you saw that

the holes in the welding support were countersunk..... it was all worth it. There was no way that a screw head was going to be clamped against

the finished metal, but that's Jim's way of doing things in every instance.

The second part was your explanation of back purging. I had already included two pages of text and the small area below each print would have

challenged me to "stay within the lines." Generally I attempt to let the fotos tell the story instead of relying on words to paint the picture.

You bailed me out. The total time to do the two posts was just over 8 hours. Pulling the 500+ fotos out of the pictures of other parts of the

build was a challenge. Ray Therat has bragged about a foto management software called ACDSee Pro4. I bought that about 2 weeks ago and

it has been a great tool. It made 4000 pictures available to me with just a click of the mouse. What a help.

I appreciate your comments and your appreciation of the project. I'll try to keep the posts as interesting as possible.

Thanks again,

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #607 on: March 27, 2011, 08:39:21 PM »
It's sorta like a kid with a new bike.  Ya can't wait to ride it.

When I had the second half of the oil pan post done, I sent it to Ray Therat. We decided to use it right now.

Nobody has to wait to ride their new bike.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/101_studs_and_plug/index.html

That opens the door to the second section of the dry sump oil pan build.

Now all I have to do is prepare another post for this week.........Oh well..........

Thanks for everyones interest.

FREUD
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 08:41:40 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #608 on: March 27, 2011, 11:28:52 PM »
Freud, you and Ray continue to do great work. We who are too far away to see the project in person really appreciate the effort.

Thank-you. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline desotoman

« Reply #609 on: March 27, 2011, 11:36:35 PM »
What will this quick release be used for? Looks similar to ones used for steering wheel disconnects.

Tom G.

Well I was way off on that one. I guess that is what I get for poking fun of the block.

Tom G.

Offline Freud

« Reply #610 on: March 28, 2011, 11:57:52 AM »
Thanks for the responses and the personal e-mails that I have received.

it's fun to be able to show all of you the progress, however slow it may be, on the car.

Springtime is beginning to show and so is the success in completion of many of the small details that

take so much time and thought.

I forgot to show the drain plug after it was installed in the pan.

It was a group of fotos that I just overlooked.

FREUD
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 12:05:04 PM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #611 on: March 28, 2011, 07:53:27 PM »
Just a reminder......check the post from yesterday on target550.com.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/101_studs_and_plug/index.html

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #612 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:26 PM »
Freud, Ray, this is great!

I really dig that oil pan post. In fact, it reminds me that I've completely forgot about getting one made.

Keep up the great work and awesome pics!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Freud

« Reply #613 on: March 28, 2011, 10:27:05 PM »
Thanks flattie..........

It's fun to follow the different parts of this build.  I hope that I can convey some of the excitement

that I enjoy as we do these posts. I am constantly amazed by how this build flows considering that

there are parts now being built and fitting in, as they do, in a build that is over 11 years along.

Jason is winding up the tail skin fit and finish. The rear wheel under fairings are started. Jim is

building the bucks to form the aluminum originals. There are always small parts that Dave machines

and it seems that I need to do fotos more frequently so that there are not big holes in the history.

As soon as the composite pieces are finished, I'll do a post on them. I have some ideas what will be

newly completed each week but I too am constantly surprised.  Hang in there with me and share my

excitement.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #614 on: March 29, 2011, 05:10:04 PM »
Since '63