Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1811353 times)

Offline Freud

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #435 on: December 22, 2010, 01:45:31 AM »
If you are looking or the post on www.target550.com that we promised on Tuesday you will find it Wednesday morning.

Michael Werner and his wife Debbie are looking in the 2011 Target550.com calendar that I did for Marlo Treit this past week, to find the dates

for World of Speed 2011 and those dates are there. The Manufacturing Class at Granite Falls, Washington High School is

working on an alternative fuel car that they will run to gather comparison data relating sea level fuel consumption

to that at Wendover.

I'll post the url Wednesday AM.

FREUD
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 02:04:41 AM by Freud »
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #436 on: December 22, 2010, 01:55:03 AM »
I think Freud meant Tuesday and Wednesday.  I'll have the stuff on the server in the ayem.  He had his calendar set to daylight savings time.  :)

I was just feeding my face before bed when I saw this.  G'nite.

Offline Freud

« Reply #437 on: December 22, 2010, 02:06:47 AM »
And I came and made the correction when I changed the foto of Michael and Debbie Werner.

Mr. Therat always has protected me but never has had my backside.

I'm up later than Therat.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #438 on: December 22, 2010, 09:16:04 AM »
Oh, Ray, forgive me -- but the comma cop in me has spotted a common error in your post -- and it must be addressed and corrected by me.

Daylight Saving Time is to do just that -- SAVE daylight.  It's properly daylight SAVING(NO "S" HERE) time.  No plural on the word saving, okay?  Many, if not most, of the broadcast announcers make the error, but with them I simply chalk it up to ignorance.  In your case I'll allow you to explain it away by letting you remind us where you live.

Best regards from your CC.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #439 on: December 22, 2010, 10:57:18 AM »
Slim, don't pick on the rat so early in the day. The clouds hid the sun up his way.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #440 on: December 22, 2010, 11:03:33 AM »
Ah, Glen -- the Comma Cop never rests.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline salt27

« Reply #441 on: December 22, 2010, 11:06:25 AM »
Oh, Ray, forgive me -- but the comma cop in me has spotted a common error in your post -- and it must be addressed and corrected by me.

Daylight Saving Time is to do just that -- SAVE daylight.  It's properly daylight SAVING(NO "S" HERE) time.  No plural on the word saving, okay?  Many, if not most, of the broadcast announcers make the error, but with them I simply chalk it up to ignorance.  In your case I'll allow you to explain it away by letting you remind us where you live.

Jeez Jon, you are as bad as my wife.
Right now she is educating me on the proper use of "seen and saw".
I sound like John Wayne with all the long pauses as I try to chose my words. :-P

Merry Christmas, Don

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #442 on: December 22, 2010, 11:15:07 AM »
I crave your shriving, effendi.  I will henceforth send the "s" in DST to the write-only memory buffer (WOMB) and form my statements correctly with regard to that phrase.  Thank you for saving me from committing a grammar felony.

Back to the real world, here's the link to the latest post:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/79_a_visit_to_granite_falls_high_school/index.html

Freud did some really kool coverage of his visit to the Manufacturing Class with a LOT of verbiage explaining the goings on in the fotos.  This project (the Shop Girls' Iron Maiden and the boys' Bulldozer) is almost as kool to follow as the liner construction...almost.  :)  I sure wish I'd had opportunities like that in high school....h*ll, I might not have dropped out.  :)

Check it out.  It's pretty kool.

Daylight Saving Time is to do just that -- SAVE daylight.  It's properly daylight SAVING(NO "S" HERE) time.  No plural on the word saving, okay?  Many, if not most, of the broadcast announcers make the error, but with them I simply chalk it up to ignorance.  In your case I'll allow you to explain it away by letting you remind us where you live.

« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:56:21 AM by RayTheRat »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #443 on: December 22, 2010, 11:51:36 AM »
It's so great to see projects like this. I wish more schools would offer these types of projects. When I was in school I took every shop course available and don't regret it today. More power to these kids, they will do well in the real world.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Freud

« Reply #444 on: December 22, 2010, 12:55:12 PM »
The entire project revolves around their instructor, Michael Werner.

He has gathered outside support that is extraordinary and that is only possible when the undertaking has merit.

Can any of you imagine PACCAR offering the support they have. Nona Larsen is a real force and it's goes w/o

saying, if she is this involved there must be time that the engineering staff under her also get involved.

Paul Tomlinson is doing his "payback" by providing guidance for which he was paid handsomely in the past.

This goes way beyond anything that was happening in the '50s and '60s.

The enthusiasm for the projects is evident in the way these students participate.

Before school in the AM and after school in the PM.

I am certainly impressed.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Tman

« Reply #445 on: December 22, 2010, 02:02:20 PM »
It's so great to see projects like this. I wish more schools would offer these types of projects. When I was in school I took every shop course available and don't regret it today. More power to these kids, they will do well in the real world.
 :cheers:

I agree, most schools are doing away with any sort of "hands on" teaching like this. Dan (longtime HAMB member)from Miles City Mt teaches shop and had his kids welding and rebuilding old cars. Until recently, when he was told by administration that his classes did not follow their curriculum and he would have to change it.  :-(

Like I said over there Ray, thanks for all the updates!

Offline Schruiber

• Granite Falls High School Eco Car Teams
« Reply #446 on: December 22, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
Freud, Ray, Glen and Tman,  thank you for all your work posting and the nice comments. Glen you are right on about learning with this real world projects for the real world; Tman - I teach this under my regular manufacturing curriculum to "fit in".  With start-up grants, sponsors and great highly skilled volunteers (it does take a village to do this) we follow the motto - build it and support will come!  Soon more update postings and questions from me about our Urban Concept Car on alternative fuel (biodiesel) at WOS 2011 - stay tuned

Merry Christmas

Michael

a couple of pictures

1. our current 2010 Urban Concept Car at the race in Houston
2. scaling and building a 1:10 scale model (the educational part) - later to be tested in our wind tunnel
3. all in orange is our current car (shortened by 8"); all in black is our "LSR longtail package" :) for WOS 2011
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #447 on: December 22, 2010, 08:28:08 PM »
This is the link for our short stop-motion video about making Carbon Fiber Panel Vaccum Bag - Resin Infusion panels to be used in our 2011 Urban Concept Car to further reduce weight - Enjoy :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBLLeDcAWts
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:35:20 PM by Schruiber »
T-2011 - Granite Falls HS UrbanAutos Diesel - 31.16668MPH over the measured mile  at WoS 2011.

Offline Tman

« Reply #448 on: December 22, 2010, 09:02:57 PM »
Michael, can I swap your contact info with my pal Dan? He is a caring teacher and I think your input can really help his kids!

Offline Schruiber

« Reply #449 on: December 22, 2010, 09:08:58 PM »
just sent you a pm
M