Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1822888 times)

Offline Nexxussian

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #375 on: November 06, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »
"dainties"?Maybe not.Cajones (sp?) definetly. :)
Just happy to be here. :-D

Erik

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #376 on: November 10, 2010, 02:16:30 PM »
Target 550 midweek "extra" post. Some front end stuff: one of the things that's been focused on recently is keeping salt out of places it doesn't belong. Those who've been there know that it can wreak havoc with just about everything it contacts. So the guys at the skunk works have come up with more clever ways to s...eal the hard-workin mechanical stuff from the corrosive white stuff.

Then there's been some work on the steering arms to eliminate any play out of their attaching points on the spindle/axle housings.

Finally, there's a shot of a high-level summit meeting between Hume and Marlo...probably discussing what to have for lunch. :) Or maybe the fact that the front end of the liner is coming very close to completion.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/69_several_areas_related_to_the_front_end/index.html

Offline Freud

« Reply #377 on: November 13, 2010, 02:05:44 AM »
In the dark of the night there is a new post for  target550.com

We shared an afternoon with a marvelous group of high school students, (Granite Falls, WA) and their build for the Shell Eco-Marathon.

It was held in Houston, Texas last spring.

Just remember. This project was done by high school girls and a dedicated teacher.

Michael Werner has an ability, beyond belief, to motivate and communicate with these students and their parents.

Have a look and Thanks for your interest.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/70_granite_falls_hs_lsr_bbq/

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #378 on: November 13, 2010, 02:41:20 AM »
Great project. Congratulations to Michael Werner for being a truly inspiring motivator. :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline debgeo

« Reply #379 on: November 13, 2010, 04:28:09 AM »
Fantastic!! With all the negative stories we hear its nice to have a great story like this. Great job and good luck on your next adventure. :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Freud

« Reply #380 on: November 20, 2010, 02:15:17 AM »

Late night duty on the www.target550.com foto post. This post is related to the front drive hubs.

For a piece that was designed and produced by a big name company, there have been many necessary

improvements. Well, whatever is needed will be done.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/71_front_hub_assembly/

FREUD
Since '63

Online Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #381 on: November 20, 2010, 12:57:27 PM »
I find it interesting that they are mounting the steering link in single shear. My preference is to always mount rod ends in double shear for the maximum stiffness, especially in the steering system.

BTW don't look at the drag link on my roadster!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #382 on: November 26, 2010, 08:38:13 PM »
Freud?...Ray?...Going through withdrawals here. :?
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #383 on: November 26, 2010, 11:01:31 PM »
Ray was active on Facebook 11 hours ago http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1103944527

He's got lots of snow, so, who knows??  Maybe he's still out shopping  :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #384 on: November 26, 2010, 11:43:52 PM »
No Black Friday shopping for this old geezer.  I'll leave that you those more capable (and foolhardy.)  No, I was doing what every old coot otta be doing on the day after Thanksgiving.  Munching on leftover turkey and falling asleep for a brief winter's nap.  When I awoke, I said, "Holy sh*t!  It's Friday!  Get the Target 550 post on the website!"  So I did. 

Now.  You'd think the liner was low and sleek enough, right?  Nope.  Fairings are being made for the wheel openings to help with aerodynamics and keep salt outta the wound...I mean wheel enclosures.  What the skunk works guys have done is built aluminum patterns that will be reproduced in carbon fiber or fiberglass so that they can be replaced if they happen (heaven forbid) to be damaged during a run.  This makes for an even sleeker, slipperier, cleaner underside.

Freud did a great job getting the photos for this post.  I wonder if he got a nap while lying on his back shooting the underside.  :)  There's something that isn't mentioned in the writeup, so I'll blab it here.  One of the things that struck me was the aluminum piece that's intended to scrape any wayward salt from the surface of the tire.  Sorta like an Alcoa mudflap...sorta.

Anyway, I think it'll kill the Jones for a bit and help the turkey digest:
http://www.target550.com/gallery/72_front_wheel_fairings/index.html

Online racergeo

« Reply #385 on: November 27, 2010, 02:17:18 AM »
  Can this car get any more incredible?

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #386 on: November 27, 2010, 02:50:20 AM »
I ask myself the same thing every week when I see the photos.  Blows the mind.  Poof!

Offline Freud

« Reply #387 on: November 30, 2010, 08:13:47 PM »
Now that it has warmed up enough that I don't have to feed the fire to stay warm I dug

into the steamer trunk and found some old images of the model of the

Treit and Davenport streamliner.

Have a look. I figure it doesn't take much explaining.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/73_streamliner_model/

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Freud

« Reply #388 on: December 03, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »
The winter has driven both The Rat and I undercover. That allowed us time to make another post.

http://www.target550.com/gallery/74_its_all_plumbing/index.html

Big pipes, and little tubes are all coming together on the 'liner. It just takes a lotta time.

Have a look.

FREUD
Since '63

Online racergeo

« Reply #389 on: December 03, 2010, 08:07:22 PM »
  I just went to the crew page at Project 550 and saw Freud's picture and noted the Buddhist Monastery in the back ground. Clearly an image from the 60's. What a sober, serious look. :-)