Author Topic: TREITS STREAMLINER  (Read 1826606 times)

Offline Podunk

Re: TREITS STREAMLINER
« Reply #1485 on: August 26, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »
It's Marlo's. He can do anything he wants!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1486 on: August 29, 2012, 01:43:16 AM »
Marlo must not be a good speller :-D. A Bonneville Nationals article in a Hot Rod Magazine issue from 1960 includes a photo of Marlowe Treit's twin-Triumph engined bike! :roll:

Is Marlo (or Marlowe) a member of these forums?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 01:58:11 AM by Jack Gifford »
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Freud

« Reply #1487 on: August 29, 2012, 11:35:36 AM »
Did it ever occur to you that the magazine could have made a mistake?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #1488 on: August 29, 2012, 12:51:59 PM »
My Goodness there's a lot of pettiness going on here!!!!  You'd think it was December or January instead of August-We're-Racing-here-comes-September!!!

Craftmanship is the word of the day...okay?!!!  There is NOTHING simple about ANY build and each is UNIQUE
Artistic is the second word of the day..... Every build is artistic and has developed from a thought or idea in someone's head!! 

DREAM is the third word of the day..... Dreams come in all shapes and sizes, some dreams are smaller than others but no less important.  Some dream of a 55mph record...Some dream of a 550mph record...the importance of this....THE DREAM ITSELF!!!!

Some people can only draw stick figures, some can paint chapels!!!  My point in all of this...the beauty, forethought, and ability in any build is important.  Jealousy in any build will be present, but I wouldn't tell Michael Angelo that his paintings are too extravagant just because I can only draw stick figures!!!

This particular build is a MASTERPIECE no matter what your specialty or expertize.  Everything about it has been methodically thought out and handcrafted and even though I don't race, I can appreciate the beauty of this patiently and lovingly handcrafted work of art.   So, thank you Freud and Ray for helping us follow a beautiful Masterpiece as it is being made!!!

Lynda
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1489 on: August 29, 2012, 01:56:33 PM »
Lynda, thanks for articulating what many of us were thinking. So many of us have been following the build for many years and Marlo and Les as well as Jim can back up their effort with many years if experience. The odds are as good as any that they will succeed. They have a thorough testing plan in place.

Pete

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #1490 on: August 29, 2012, 01:59:23 PM »
Lynda, I'm out here at BUB.  Miss your smiling face twice a day.  Nice thoughts expressed. 
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Tman

« Reply #1491 on: August 29, 2012, 02:26:22 PM »
Well said Lynda!

But it sure does not feel like art as I drag metal shavings into the house for Carla to get slivers from! I will be happier when she is commenting on the yellow overspray from the final paint! :-D THEN it will feel  like art!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1492 on: August 29, 2012, 05:34:20 PM »
  Having known him for many years, I can attest to the fact that he sign's his name as MARLO, and although I have many old hot rodding articles (including many Portland Roadster Show programs from the sixties and seventies where every year it seemed he outdid the previous years audatious entrys including the Hydrogen Peroxide thrust dragster from 1963 or 64).
  Some articles identified him as Marlowe, some as Marlo.
  Personally I know him as a friend, mentor and one funny S.O.B. (although his Canadian Humor can wear on one).
  Just remember that in the LSR racing community that when you say Marlo (spelled any way you prefer) you know that whom ever is speaking is talking about one of the true inovators in our sport's history, and that no matter how many records he HAS OR HAS NOT set, He will go down with folk's like Chauvin, Ernie Immerso and many others who while trying to set records, most importantly spent most of their career's on the Salt trying to conquer different techknowlegies and idea's rather than the status quo of outdoing the norm.
  If you do not understand what I have just stated, then you never will............. Bob
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:36:43 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1493 on: August 29, 2012, 07:10:36 PM »
 Having known him for many years, I can attest to the fact that he sign's his name as MARLO, and although I have many old hot rodding articles (including many Portland Roadster Show programs from the sixties and seventies where every year it seemed he outdid the previous years audatious entrys including the Hydrogen Peroxide thrust dragster from 1963 or 64).
  Some articles identified him as Marlowe, some as Marlo.
  Personally I know him as a friend, mentor and one funny S.O.B. (although his Canadian Humor can wear on one).
  Just remember that in the LSR racing community that when you say Marlo (spelled any way you prefer) you know that whom ever is speaking is talking about one of the true inovators in our sport's history, and that no matter how many records he HAS OR HAS NOT set, He will go down with folk's like Chauvin, Ernie Immerso and many others who while trying to set records, most importantly spent most of their career's on the Salt trying to conquer different techknowlegies and idea's rather than the status quo of outdoing the norm.
  If you do not understand what I have just stated, then you never will............. Bob

I understand what you said. 

I am familiar with Chauvin Emmons' approach and successes.  Where can I read more about Marlo's same?  does he hold a bunch of records?  I am enjoying the history lessons here, do NOT think that us bonneville noobs do not appreciate it Bob.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1494 on: August 29, 2012, 07:35:32 PM »
  Diesel, as I stated earlier, no matter how many records Marlo HAS OR HAS NOT SET, what is most interesting is that in his fifty years + on the salt not trying to outdo the status quo, but rather to try new ideas, he like many others including the Vesco's, Burklands, and the remarkable story of Al Teague, has followed his own path, not worrying about "next year" as many of us do.
  Marlo started running on the salt in (I believe) the early sixties when he built and ran a twin engine Triumph M.C. and progressed (for lack of a better word) up to setting the (I think) A/BFL record ten or so years ago, which is about the time he became enamored with the piston powered, wheel driven LSR record.
  While any and all might question his overall accomplishment record, I think that those of us who have been fortunate enough to meet and know Marlo realize what he has done and still strives to do on the salt: to use original and inovative thought to suceed while realizing that there might be a easier and cheaper way to achieve the same goal.
  Speaking only for myself and as a guy who spent his first nine years on the salt running a Early Olds engine (against new motors of the same size) knowing that I didn't have a chance in hell at a record, I personally admire someone who doesn't follow the norm.
  Do Marlo's lack of records denote a loser.  Is the same true of those of us who like me hope to do it without partners or "real" sponsors?
  I think not, but you may not agree. That is your God given right.         Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1495 on: August 29, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »
Scott/Geek, I think I "hear" what your saying. Google Treit & Davenport Lakester for some of the most current info before the construction of the 'liner took their souls...... :-D

AA/BFL  314.536  1996

B/BFL  329.431  1998

A/FL  292.309  1997

As you well know any record is tough, the records above are what lead these men to attempt the streamliner in question.

And for added fun I found this picture of Marlo from a bit further back in time......   8-)  
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #1496 on: August 29, 2012, 08:01:45 PM »
Linda and Bob, well said.

Thanks you have a lot more patience than I have to articulate what a bunch of us are thinking.

Since I paint stick men, I will drag my junk out to Wendover every other year and attempt to improve on my personal best. I don't expect to ever get a colored hat except the one JEGS sends me when I make a large parts order. But this does not mean I don't want to or work hard to go fast enough. Bottom line, LSR is as much a journey as it is a speed trial.

Fact is, I am a big fan of anyone that makes it to the starting line...  'cause I know how hard it is just to get there. And of course I am a big fan of you too Linda!

Bill

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline rgn

« Reply #1497 on: August 29, 2012, 08:13:47 PM »
Congratulations Geek, you have managed to monopolize 5 pages of a thread dedicated to the build of the Treits Streamliner with your attention seeking, narcissistic bleating.  

Can we get this thread back on topic please?   :roll:

Topic being the celebration and enjoyment of the Treit-Davenport build.  

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #1498 on: August 29, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »
  and, Scott (so you do have a real name!), just so you don't have some delusion about wether or not I hold Marlo in some "god like" esteem, although he helped me right a sinking "Bonneville" ship, I ceased all communication with him about two years ago over what some might consider a "trivial" difference in philosophy's and only recently spoke briefly with him while leaving Speedweek to congratulate him on being "close to the finish line".
  While our "friendship" is still on hold, I still wish the best for him and his dream, and once again say to you: if you do not understand what I have just said, you never will.
  I would never ask you to change your mind on any subject or person based upon what I say, and I understand (from previous posts) your aprehension and questioning all the hooplah that has surrounded Marlo and his dream.
  What I wish you could get a grip on is that this son of a Alberta preacher, nee car lot attendant, nee motorcycle racer is just like you and me, worked his ass off and still can be a asshole at the wrong moment, has many flaws, but to the best of my knowledge, has never screwed anyone, most especially any fellow racers while in pursuit of his personal goal.
  I do not question or fault your seemingly insatiable questioning of all things "Marlo" nor do I question your right in doing so, but apparently sometime in your past Marlo has  either pissed you off or offended you in some way.
  I can think of no other logical reason for your "extra special " continuing questioning of "all things Marlo."
 Allthough as I stated earlier, untill Speedweek  I had not communicated with Marlo for around two years due to lets say "personality conflicts",  I don't let "small time
sh*t"  define what I think of a man or his goals.
  I would only ask of you to consider that life is too short to let animosities  keep any of us from meeting and learning from what others think and are doing, not from whatever past trangressions or wrongs we might percieve.
    Spoken with humility and hopefully friendship, Bob (and I still would like to buy you a beer and talk, just not argue on this forum so much). Take Care.
Bob Drury

Offline dieselgeek

« Reply #1499 on: August 29, 2012, 08:31:58 PM »
Congratulations Geek, you have managed to monopolize 5 pages of a thread dedicated to the build of the Treits Streamliner with your attention seeking, narcissistic bleating.  

Can we get this thread back on topic please?   :roll:

Topic being the celebration and enjoyment of the Treit-Davenport build.  

Yes, pardon me for asking questions, how ridiculous of me to do that on a public forum.

I enjoy the build and pictures, and will celebrate when the record is achieved.